NJ VCA Pocono Track Day

LQQK_OUT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi!

I have a couple of questions about this event.
1. Reading through the flyer, does one really need to pay $50 for an instructor?
2. How many 20 minute sessions does one usually get in a day?

I guess I'm looking for a comparison between a VCA track event and a PDA track event which costs about $220. For the price of the VCA track day with driver I can almost get (2) PDA track days. I also realize the VCA track day includes a continental breakfast and lunch, but I really don't mind bringing my own sandwich :)

Brett

OP
OP
J

Jerz Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Ron,
We are going to have 40 plus Vipers as well as some other marques. I have never had insurance for this event myself, I know we have had some members who have tested the waters, but it was cost prohibited.
Let me know how you make out.

Bobby

OP
OP
J

Jerz Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brett,
I guess your best bet is to just go to the PDA event. Our cost's per vehicle is high due to our attendance. If we could get our attendance up, we can get the price down per vehicle.
We get at least 5 runs per group because of the size of our event, I know some guys that stop running because they are tired after all the time they get from our event.
I don't feel that $50.00 is a lot of money for this type of one on one instruction. Skip Barber will cost you at least $1000.00. These instrutors are professional drivers, some are SCCA champions, that said, I'm not ashamed of the price.
I believe the closest PDA event is in Virginia, which would cost most of us from the NJ/NY metro area some extra dollars just to get there and stay. Our event is only an hour and a half from Bergen County, so you can do the trip up and back in the same day.
Remeber, if you come to our event, and I hope you do, you don't have to take an instructor. We will have you run in the green and white group though. We do this with all new entries, unless they show us proof that they have had track experience before.
I hope I've answered your concerns, and again I hope to see you, we need the attendance.
Regards,
Bobby Cerchione

Copperhead245

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Bobby, I'll see if its possible to get a Group Buy on insurance. I'll let you know if I find out anything.

As I mentioned, I've been to Pocono before (with my XJS) - I never went for the extra insurance, but the Viper is worth quite a bit more then the Jag. I keep replaying in my mind the time I saw a guy slam his XJ into the wall at turn one (not that I'm going to do that, but I wouldn't have wanted to be right behind him when he did)...

"Look Out": Last time I was there I had the head of Ferrari North America training as instructor - well worth the fifty bucks, especially if you've never driven Pocono before. Also, after four twenty minute runs I was beat - I'm hoping I can make five runs this year (I know the car can!!!)

Ron

Stage7

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good stuff (not the guy crashing-the other posts about race day experiences). I'm really looking fwd to it. I personally think the cost is more than reasonable to be able to legally run your car hard. I'm sure it's much safer on a controlled track than running ******* the street. Plus if you do make a mistake you won't be taking a mother w/her kids w/you.

BTW- I'm from the Union area. I don't have a Viper but if you guys have any local cruise nights/get togethers, and if a C6 is welcome, it would be cool to go.

I'm getting together w/Valentine Viper tomorrow when I go visit my parents in SJ.

Copperhead245

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I did a little checking on insurance and didn't get very far.

I checked a couple of companies I found via Google, and even though they mention "Track/Driver Education" on their websites, they told me they don't provide coverage for it.

American Collectors Insurance does have a "Drivers Education" policy, but does not cover cars owned in NJ or NY (if any one going is from PA - contact them if you're interested).

David Empringham at Laurel DE Management (broker) says their underwriter (Pacific Insurance) does not do Group Buys and the minimum coverage is for up to ten events over a one year period. For a car valued at $75,000 that would be $1,770 with a 15% deductible. Very reasonable if I could get to a track 10 times - hey Bobby how about a "spring" 2007 Pocono day as well as August (and scheduling next August to be before the 17th)! That and maybe a couple of days of Skip Barber at Limerock - hum...

If I found out anything else, I'll let you know...

Ron

OP
OP
J

Jerz Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good try so far Ron, Our track day is always the third Thursday in August. We do hook up with FCA and now Pocono-CSD in the spring, and we are always looking for additional days with any other clubs.
keep up the good work, Bobby

Copperhead245

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, the third Thursday in August 2007 is the 16th - so if you were to start coverage the day of this year's event, you'd be covered for next year's...

Ron

OP
OP
J

Jerz Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Come on local regions, this is a great event. Make a weekend out of it with the family.

Stay at Great Wolf Lodge, the Indoor Waterpark!

Let the family play in the water while you play on the track :2tu:

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol Tom what exactly are you asking to do......do I look like I have a pink seat cover.... Tom you cant "get me in the passenger seat" however I would be happy to sit there while you drive your car around the track,yes ;)

speedpup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi!

I have a couple of questions about this event.
1. Reading through the flyer, does one really need to pay $50 for an instructor?
2. How many 20 minute sessions does one usually get in a day?

I guess I'm looking for a comparison between a VCA track event and a PDA track event which costs about $220. For the price of the VCA track day with driver I can almost get (2) PDA track days. I also realize the VCA track day includes a continental breakfast and lunch, but I really don't mind bringing my own sandwich :)

Brett

I have run both since 99 or 2000. Forgot when the first Viper Event took place? If you have a Viper you may like the Viper event because there will be many there. PDA event follows the Viper event so you can travel less and run more at two events. Viper event will give you more track time so it may be cheaper fun per mile. I have a Corvette but always have a blast with the Viper Club. I feel like I just left last years Viper event in the past week. Life is short so do as much as you can. If you like a thrill and feel disappointed about the Viper event I'll give you a check made out to your favorite charity for the $ difference between the events. I ran through near 3 tanks of gas in one day at the Viper event when running Adel. It was great!

Rolstar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Bob,
You want to bring out the masses, I think you should hold a silent auction for a chance to drive the Comp Coupe.

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know 3 that are signed up .Where are all the NY/CT members Pocono is 90 min away.Nice safe open track to play on with NO speeding tickets......... :2tu:

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been doing Pocono plenty and it would be great to finally have the session timed ! I would expect lots of classes though, maybe tough to do fairly due to so many mods variations.

AC

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I knew that Andrew its not like you to miss Pocono........What!!!Tom do I smell another challenge???

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62