No hood pad (pic)

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Been a few threads about hood pads lately. Someone was even asking for a pic of a Gen-2 with no hood pad.

Here's a Gen-3 with no hod pad.

You must be registered for see images attach

reelsteel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks very strange without it. You going to put a differnt one on?

Nader...I noticed in your avatar the pic of your car, do you have anymore that show the area where the exhaust pipe comes out? Is it different color than the car?

MKTAXMAN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nader,

If you don't mind me asking, who did the work on your car. I live on Long Island and I dont' know of anyone trustworthy enough to touch my baby.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really? Well you are in luck my friend. Chuck Tator of Tators Dodge is a short drive away. There is no better. What part of LI are you from? He is in westchester. I currently live in Brooklyn but originally from Merrick. I will be moving back soon.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks very strange without it. You going to put a differnt one on?

Nader...I noticed in your avatar the pic of your car, do you have anymore that show the area where the exhaust pipe comes out? Is it different color than the car?

I removed the paint and polished the aluminum.

DSC06665.JPG

Sidesill21.jpg

MKTAXMAN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought the Mamba steering wheel, ebrake, and shift knob. I also got the IPOD kit. Do they do Cousa exhaust as well ?

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Real question is should you run without the pad? It's my understanding that the in addition to keeping the noise down, it also protects the paint from the heat of the engine.

OP
OP

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Real question is should you run without the pad? It's my understanding that the in addition to keeping the noise down, it also protects the paint from the heat of the engine.

i thought about the heat also. Don't think it will be an issue since the hottest part of the hood (over the manifolds) is pad-less and I've had no discoloration in over 3 years.

I had a white 1996 WS6 Pontiac whose hood started to discolor after I put unshielded headers on. Don't think that's an issue on our cars due in large part to the hood vents.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have over 10,000 miles on my viper without the hood pad and have had no melted or discolored paint. The engine does sound a bit louder, but hell, race cars do not have hood pads.:drive:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

More Urban Legend.........

The Year Matters. Your year, it dont matter! ( Gen 1 was a bigger issue, so the legend grew from old fact. ) The "pad" unfortunately acts as a sound and heat insulator to keep heat underhood, and in the instrument panel-footwell. It makes the Viper quieter in federal "pass-by" sound testing. Those looking for a cooler ride EXHAUST the heat, not trap it underhood. NOTE: Track events at WOT for 20-30 minutes are a different matter.....but If you are on a track event, you RAISE your hood after each session, right?

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sound any different without it?

Tom,

I've got an '08 hood (on my '06) without the pad and frankly I don't notice any difference on the sound level. Technically I'm sure it must be but I don't think the average guy could tell them apart side by side. Mike

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Jon. I remember the engineers mention that the hood pad is for sound only.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Here's a pic of Jeff Lemke's freshly painted House of Kolors Kandy Red '08 hood. Not sure if I'm going to do a full hood pad or possibly a custom setup covering up each of the individual indentations in the center area to give it a more finished look.

Lemke_Hood_Serpent.JPG

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kind of a related question. Why is there a wire from the hood pad connected to the car? Would there be a problem removing that wire if the hood pad is removed?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96