No Vipers on TV Racing?

tennis tom

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a dumb question, I don't know much about racing but occasionally perusing the SPEED Channel, I don't see Viper's racing. For instance, I'm watching the Grand Am Rolex at VIR and I see vette's, BMW's, Porsche's, etc, but no Vipers. Are they not in this class or is it because the factory is too broke to support racing? I have seen Viper's winning at drifting though. If they are on TV, what kind of events should I look for them in? Sorry for the dumb question.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a dumb question, I don't know much about racing but occasionally perusing the SPEED Channel, I don't see Viper's racing. For instance, I'm watching the Grand Am Rolex at VIR and I see vette's, BMW's, Porsche's, etc, but no Vipers. Are they not in this class or is it because the factory is too broke to support racing? I have seen Viper's winning at drifting though. If they are on TV, what kind of events should I look for them in? Sorry for the dumb question.

Took the words right out of my mouth....

Where d' Vipers?????

:eater::eater::eater:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, Cindy Lux (Washington VCA) does well at racing as well.

The problem - as I see it is that the rules require that the Vipers be the heaviest cars on the racetrack. After it worked out that they won nearly every race they entered they were hit with a 40% intake restrictor plate rule to make sure that the vettes, ferrari and Porsches get all the wins.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that racing is fair. He who pays the most bucks get to win. Instead, imagine what the race would be like if it was fair. If the Viper didn't have intake restrictors ... Yup, back to when the Vipers won all the races. You'll notice that Dodge doesn't keep up with paying the magazines or the FIA admin, etc. Dodge prefers to build their own race cars and race them in their own class so that it becomes a fair race.

Ted

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is alot of politics in racing...
Factory backing is crucial for a successfull race season. GM has alot to gain by backing many Corvette teams in races since they want to spread the word to sell XX,*** vettes per year. The cost of the factorybacking spread over those XX,*** vettes per year is peanuts. If that cost was spread over say 1,000 vehicles per/year than it would significantly increase the sales price.
Dodge has nothing to gain as the viper cant afford and dosnt need the expensive advertising as it is limited production vehicle directed to a niche market of ******** people.

Let me assure you that you will get 10x more enjoyment out of racing your viper in real life as opposed to watching a race on tv or playing a videogame.

If you dont have the balls to take your car to a track, then atleast contact you local VCA region and attend a trackday to spectate in person. That would be 5x more fun than watching any race on TV.

OP
OP
T

tennis tom

Viper Owner
Reaction score
. Dodge prefers to build their own race cars and race them in their own class so that it becomes a fair race.

Ted

What class would that be and which vehicles or models would be the competition?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Vipers, Comp coupe Vipers, ACRXs.

NARA, Viper Days, JonB, Lelsie, Fireball and several other VCA members are race/high performance Driving Instructors and would know more.

VOI 11 will be at SLC end of sept where all Viper Owners that register will have tickets for the World Challenge Race featuring the new ACR X. At the last VOI we watched 6 comp coupes compete in the Grand Prix at Belle Isle. Cindy Lux won "Hard Charger Award" for passing more that any other car on the track during the race.

Joel of the Wstrn Cda VCA has both a new ACR and a comp coupe that he races. Last year he averaged 2nd overall.

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Greg Phillips set a new track record for street tires with his stock 09 ACR. Beat his previous track record that was set with a 1,000rwhp Heffer TT Murci. Calgary Race Ctiy.

ACR owned the record at Laguna Seca until the ACR X beat that by a few seconds.

World's fastest production car (more than 1500 units built per year) around Nurenburg Ring is the 08 ACR.

Ted

Ted

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
right, Tedd was only talking about the intake restrictor plates. But the Weight Ballasts were the real killer...

The joke goes: Congrats, you kicked everyones @ss. Here is your 200lb trophy. Your required to put it in your trunk for the rest of the season:)

VardaMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wake up folks!
You missed some fantastic Viper racing at Long Beach last weekend in the Speed World Challenge Event. It was part of the Long Beach Gran Prix. Dodge/VCA had a special hosipility tent for owners, etc, etc, etc. The Woodhouse Viper #13 won the race against some fast cars and great drivers like Pilgrim, Fellows, Pobst & Said. See details in other posts under Viper Racing and the Dodge Facebook web page.
They will be at Mosport 5/21-23, Watkins Glen 7/2-4, Toronto 7/17-18, Mid-ohio 8/6-8, VIR 9/10-12 & Miller SLC 10/1-3. Woodhouse & DR Racing will be running 4 Viper Comp Coupes. Pull yourself away from your TV and get out and support their great program.
Pat

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They change the rules every year. The lightest race cars are the Porsches, because they have the smallest engines. Guess the Volkswagons need extra advantages so that they have a chance to win? I won't even try to understand why rules and adjustments would be made so that slower cars can be competitive and fast cars are slowed down so that they don't win all the time. Fastest racing in the world and extremely modified cars need to be given advantages and restrictions so that the racing is kind of a joke?

Reading Wilkipedia there was a time in the late 90s that only Mercedes had any chance of winning GT so all other brands moved into GT2. Reading Wilipedia again, I see that GT1/GTS was discontinued a few times as being too expensive and that it's being dropped as of 2009 again?

The Porsche is listed as being the most popular race car. Not too expensive and they have the greatest advantages I guess.

Dodge builds the world's fastest production car as evidenced by the record setting times of the ACR at so many racetracks. Gotta love that. If GT2 racing was Run what they built - even with the garbage Government required Cats - the Viper ACR would obviously win every single race. I like that, start with the fastest made, add a supercharger and a couple little mods and it'll take a complete race car to catch up.

Ted

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
used to see them in Lemans series, then saw one running in GT2 class in 2008, 12 hrs/Sebring, came in 5th place.

Dodge Viper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

dodge-viper-gtsr-10.jpg

Last edited:

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watching VIR right now too. Big Pruett fan. The new ACR X races will be televised on Versus I believe later this year.
We have known Scott Pruett for years, having sponsored him with Sprint when he was running CART/Indy Car. Got to spend a lot of time with him and have a basement full of signed memorabilia from him, including a billboard-sized banner of the Firestone Indy Car. Great guy and a helluva driver!

:2tu:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Viper Tv Schedule

You must be registered for see images

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dodge Motorsports[/FONT]

April 16-18, 2010
2010 Streets of Long Beach
On VERSUS • May 1, 2010 • 4:30pm-6pm VIPER WON! KUNO WITTMER/WOODHOUSE

May 21-23, 2010
2010 Mosport International Raceway
On VERSUS • July 31, 2010 • 3pm-5pm
Iincluding Mid-Year Report

July 2-4, 2010
2010 Watkins Glen International
On VERSUS • July 17, 2010 • 11pm-12am

July 17-18, 2010
2010 Streets of Toronto

August 6-8, 2010
2010 Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course
On VERSUS • August 28, 2010 • 4:30pm-6pm

September 10-12, 2010
2010 VIRginia International Raceway
On VERSUS • September 26, 2010 • 4:30pm-6pm

October 1-3, 2010
2010 Utah Grand Prix Finale
On VERSUS • October 17, 2010 • 4:30pm - 6pm

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Outside of World Challenge and VRL, a lot of Viper racers are grass roots (no TV coverage). If there's nothing on TV, go to your local road course! There are about 20 of them within 5 hours of me. See Main Page - Trackpedia.

PS-I expect to do the Ultimate Track Car Challenge on Jul 23 at VIR, NASA TT events (NASA Great Lakes - National Auto Sport Association) and Viper Challenge. Come on out and support your fellow VCA'er! If you can, volunteer to crew and change a set of tires! We drain a few beers at the end of the day. ;)

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Viper Tv Schedule

You must be registered for see images

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dodge Motorsports[/FONT]

April 16-18, 2010
2010 Streets of Long Beach
On VERSUS • May 1, 2010 • 4:30pm-6pm VIPER WON! KUNO WITTMER/WOODHOUSE

May 21-23, 2010
2010 Mosport International Raceway
Iincluding Mid-Year Report

July 2-4, 2010
2010 Watkins Glen International
On VERSUS • July 17, 2010 • 11pm-12am

July 17-18, 2010
2010 Streets of Toronto

August 6-8, 2010
2010 Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course
On VERSUS • August 28, 2010 • 4:30pm-6pm

September 10-12, 2010
2010 VIRginia International Raceway
On VERSUS • September 26, 2010 • 4:30pm-6pm

October 1-3, 2010
2010 Utah Grand Prix Finale
On VERSUS • October 17, 2010 • 4:30pm - 6pm

:2tu: .......Thank You

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
ACR owned the record at Laguna Seca until the ACR X beat that by a few seconds.
World's fastest production car (more than 1500 units built per year) around Nurenburg Ring is the 08 ACR.
Ted

TED, I have to give you a -rare- correction on the Laguna Seca production car record, STILL held by the 2010 Viper ACR. WHY? Because the -X is not a street-legal production car. There are many non-street legal vehicles that would be faster than X.

The black/red ACR that set and holds the Laguna 1:33.9 record was in full production trim, including OE Michelin sport cup tires. The only modification was a racing seat and harness. Ditto for the 'Ring car.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Check out Kuno Wittmer's winning final lap here:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWPrTPtx1xI[/media]

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks like Directv, and Comcast have finally come to an agreement, I just checked, and now get Versus on my Directv - Channel 603. So, I'll be able to watch the races, afterall.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It looks like Directv, and Comcast have finally come to an agreement, I just checked, and now get Versus on my DirecTV - Channel 603. So, I'll be able to watch the races, afterall.

So long as the solar flares and Galaxy-15 dont take it out! [ Any C-banders out there? ]

THANKS GUS, I did NOT know DTV was home to versus.....

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Jon, when you going to start selling these transmissions? Too much lap time waisted with the old H pattern stuff.

We have sold TWO in fact.....a few years ago.... spendy buggers but FASSST.

Ben Keating ended up with the VCC......one went to Europe

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang