Noob from KC

ScreetHoPrez

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello all,
My name is Rich and I live just south of Kansas City (Olathe, to be exact). I just had the privilege of picking up my dream car last week. A 2002 Viper GTS, completely stock with 17k miles.
I'm new to Vipers, but not to Dodges. My background/experience is mainly with the Neons and SRT-4's. My previous show and go car was a 98 Neon R/T that I built from the ground up. Among all the show parts, I built and swapped in an SRT-4 engine. On E85, it was making 413 whp and 536 wtq.
Sadly, it had to go (along with my dually and trailer) when I found my dream car.
I'm looking to get some good background info on the 2nd Gens and where to start modding. I was able to keep all my audio/video/nav and alarm system out of my dually and it's going into the Viper as I type this.
Where should I start modding? I'm looking at the JMB cold air intake system and exhaust options. I'm also consider the SCT Flash Programmer and was wondering if anybody has any experiences with these.
Thanks for your time and I look forward to learning alot about these great cars!

-Rich

V

Venomiss

I'll send you a PM with contact information for KCVCA and who to talk with locally about your car.

Welcome! We are right down the road from you and so are a bunch of other Vipers!

OP
OP
S

ScreetHoPrez

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'll send you a PM with contact information for KCVCA and who to talk with locally about your car.

Welcome! We are right down the road from you and so are a bunch of other Vipers!

Sounds good! I've been talking with "Johnny Bravo" on one of the local forums and he has been quite helpful so far!

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rich you have to hook up with the local club its a very active group with alot of great people,What color etc we need pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
S

ScreetHoPrez

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Rich you have to hook up with the local club its a very active group with alot of great people,What color etc we need pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds good.

Here are some pics. I just finished up the stereo last night:

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
S

ScreetHoPrez

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sweet Looking car where did you find it?

A Dodge dealership out by St. Louis. They cut me a good deal on my trade ins and I wanted to trade my car in at a place far enough away that I wouldn't have to see it rolling around.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats Rich, any pics of the neon?

I'm looking to get some good background info on the 2nd Gens and where to start modding. I'm looking at the JMB cold air intake system and exhaust options. I'm also consider the SCT Flash Programmer and was wondering if anybody has any experiences with these.

Exhaust is a must, the Gen2.5 in stock form prob sounds like a honda when compared to your modded neon ?

Do an AdvancedSearch on these threads specifically in the Gen1/2 section for exhaust and read up on all your options.
I recommend any 3" system with headers and hi-flow cats. That will give you a nice sound and about 450+ to the wheels.
Simply changing to K&N filters and smoothtubes is the most effective intake mod. Those aftermarket things like JMB cost too much for a minimal(if any) increase in power with a negative being they dont have a baffle to keep water from getting in.:omg:

Look here for info on most of our vendors:
Viper Club of America

and here is some good info for someone who is new to driving a viper:
http://forums.viperclub.org/general-viper-discussion/630445-keeping-new-viper-owners-safe-how.html
http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/630232-best-tires-techniques-avoid-crashing.html

Enjoy it:2tu:

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
congrats on your new ride

as always, mod with the end in mind, your stereo install looks sweet :2tu:

OP
OP
S

ScreetHoPrez

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks all.

Here's a link to my old for sale ad for my Neon: 1998 Dodge Neon R/T $15,000 Or best offer | Custom Show Car Classifieds | Show Car Sales

It has pics and a mods listing as well.

I'm looking at the Belanger exhaust for sale on Viper Alley. I talked with him and he has sold the headers, but still has the rest of the exhaust. Does this sound like a good deal? I'm very interested in changing out the exhaust.
ViperAlley Classifieds - Belanger full exhaust - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

After that will be a cold air intake/filter and then the SCT Flash Programmer and some dyno tuning. Does this sound like a good path?

Thanks again!

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
02 stock shortys are not that bad, headers are not a bang for the buck mod, but do add some nice sound

that cat back is full catless - sniffer test in your area?, will be loud, rear section is nice (h-pipe with bullets)

you know there is an SCT special going on now

OP
OP
S

ScreetHoPrez

Viper Owner
Reaction score
02 stock shortys are not that bad, headers are not a bang for the buck mod, but do add some nice sound

that cat back is full catless - sniffer test in your area?, will be loud, rear section is nice (h-pipe with bullets)

you know there is an SCT special going on now

That's what I heard about the SCT special, but I may have a local hookup that I'm investigating as well.

No sniffers in my area. :D

Would going full exhaust (minus the headers) be worth it?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The shorties will save you 24 lbs, add 15HP, and NOT fit the OE downpipes. The labor is the same as adding belangers, so why bother?

I also had a Neon RT Blu/Sil stripe, and an SRT-4 DOnt miss either, now hav 09 SRT-8 SuperBee as DD. Wanna learn "background" Get a Viper Buyers Guide for $25. Seeking a second opinion on mods? Call us! And Congrats.....

OP
OP
S

ScreetHoPrez

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The shorties will save you 24 lbs, add 15HP, and NOT fit the OE downpipes. The labor is the same as adding belangers, so why bother?

I also had a Neon RT Blu/Sil stripe, and an SRT-4 DOnt miss either, now hav 09 SRT-8 SuperBee as DD. Wanna learn "background" Get a Viper Buyers Guide for $25. Seeking a second opinion on mods? Call us! And Congrats.....

Nice!

So, how close will the full exhaust get me to the stock headers? How much modification do you think it'll need? I take all my cars to a local shop that fabs up all my custom exhaust so I'm sure he can make anything work.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Nice!

So, how close will the full exhaust get me to the stock headers? How much modification do you think it'll need? I take all my cars to a local shop that fabs up all my custom exhaust so I'm sure he can make anything work.

R U talking old maniflds vs newer shorties? If so, Very close.....EZ fab if you dont mind cut/bend/weld.

OP
OP
S

ScreetHoPrez

Viper Owner
Reaction score
R U talking old maniflds vs newer shorties? If so, Very close.....EZ fab if you dont mind cut/bend/weld.

I'm not familiar with the term, "shorties".

The headers are on the car now are stock as is the rest of the exhaust. The Belanger I'm looking at is a full exhaust minus the headers.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sorry! The "Shorties" are the later-year Gen 2 Short-Tube OE headers that were being discusssed above, in lie of Belangers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang