Nor Cal Track Day

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trying to gauge interest in a Nor Cal Viper Club Track day. I am working with David Ray from Hooked On Driving to set up a day when we can attend a Hooked On Driving event as a club. The best track we feel to do this is Thunderhill in Willows California so that if we have beginners they are less likely to wreck their cars as there is less things to hit at Thunderhill, also Thunderhill is the only track that has weekend dates available this year. We are also working on getting a discount for Viper Club members. Another note that this event if you want to just come and watch and get a feel for how one of Hooked On Driving's events works that is an option as well, and as a non driving guest you can go for demo rides with the Hooked On Driving Coaches. So who wants to let their snake loose on Thunderhill this year?

For more information about Hooked On Driving go to www.hookedondriving.com

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What dates are you looking at? my wife is deployed so I'm a single parent right now. Need dates to plan in advance for alternate adult supervision of the ankle biters..... I'm in if the dates work out. Jeff

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to put you in reverse, John, but are we absolutely limited to weekends? It's actually a little easier for me to take a weekday off; also nothing better than playing hooky at the track when everyone else is working...

Rich

OP
OP
72hemi

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hooked on Driving does have events during the week, but as a VCA event it will be on the 24th.

OP
OP
72hemi

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome! When I get the information together for registration I will let you know.

OP
OP
72hemi

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for your input, but we have made arrangements with Hooked On Driving.

It is hard to tell from their website, but it does not look like their pricing includes everything like the Hooked On Driving price does. So what is the cost for coaches and food? How many cars per run group? HOD only allows 25 cars per session making less traffic on the track at any given time. It looks like NCRC is more time trials which is not covered by most insurance policies compared to HOD which is considered a driving school by most insurance companies and therefore covered under most policies (of course check with your insurance agent to verify you are covered first). What is NCRC's safety record? HOD has an almost perfect safety record since it's inception in 2004. Is there a charge for non-drivers at the NCRC events? The only charge at HOD for non-drivers is $15 to cover lunch. Does NCRC require a membership fee to attend their events? HOD does not have a membership fee. Are helmet rentals available at NCRC events? They are at HOD events for $20. Does NCRC give demo rides with the instructors in the instructors cars at no additional charge for anyone in attendance? HOD does.

HOD is a 7/10ths driving program which is why they have such an amazing safety record. I am not certain but it looks like NCRC events a 9/10ths or 9.5/10ths driving events which leave little room for error. HOD allows for beginners all the way to professionals to have a save high performance driving environment that is non-competitive in nature. It's about having fun and not pushing your car to the limit or feeling like a pu$$y if you don't push it. Again I am not familiar with NCRC, but I am familiar with HOD.

I'm not suggesting that NCRC is a bad idea, just that there are a lot of reasons we decided to go with HOD for this track event.

Last edited:

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HOD will be great for this event, no worries.

I've driven a fair amount of HPDE with NASA and NCRC, and both organizations do a very nice job of stratifying drivers to appropriate run groups. These groups are designed to help everyone (from beginners on up) improve their knowledge and skillset in a safe driving environment. As long as a participant is honest about their ability/experience and prioritizes safety above all else, any of these "track day" organizations will provide a great experience for a wide range of drivers.

Conventional wisdom is that HPDE events are "driver training", not timed, and therefore covered by your normal insurance. This may be a bit of a popular myth, though... As John said, drivers need to check with their insurance provider to confirm this assumption.

Rich

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HOD will be great for this event, no worries.

I've driven a fair amount of HPDE with NASA and NCRC, and both organizations do a very nice job of stratifying drivers to appropriate run groups. These groups are designed to help everyone (from beginners on up) improve their knowledge and skillset in a safe driving environment. As long as a participant is honest about their ability/experience and prioritizes safety above all else, any of these "track day" organizations will provide a great experience for a wide range of drivers.

Conventional wisdom is that HPDE events are "driver training", not timed, and therefore covered by your normal insurance. This may be a bit of a popular myth, though... As John said, drivers need to check with their insurance provider to confirm this assumption.

Rich

Be careful regarding any type of HPDE situation and personal car insurance. Many insurance companies will not cover your car if it is driven on any type of circuit where it is used for motorsports or timed event. So if you were doing a 20 mph parade lap around Infineon to help raise money for homeless kids and you somehow wrecked your car, it might not be covered (even if no race or high speed driving was taking place that day). Contact your insurance company for the correct information, preferably in writing....don't just go with what your insurance agent tells you on the phone. Get at least an email confirmation that you're covered.

Sounds like a fun event and will be there if I'm not traveling.

Cheers,
George

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know for a fact that state farm will cover anything on track that isn't a race. I totaled my evo at Infineon last year and it was 100% covered. They are pretty much the only insurance company left that will cover HPDE events and they don't do it in every state, but they do in California.

My agent at State Farm is an avid HPDEr and the other agent I dealt with when I smashed my car had just totaled his mini at Infineon (turn 10 is a real b*tch) and state farm covered him too.

ACR VYPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know for a fact that state farm will cover anything on track that isn't a race. I totaled my evo at Infineon last year and it was 100% covered. They are pretty much the only insurance company left that will cover HPDE events and they don't do it in every state, but they do in California.

My agent at State Farm is an avid HPDEr and the other agent I dealt with when I smashed my car had just totaled his mini at Infineon (turn 10 is a real b*tch) and state farm covered him too.

Those EVO drivers are dangerous... skip to 2:34

Last edited:
OP
OP
72hemi

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok finally I have the discount code for the 24th event at Thunderhill. Go to Hooked On Driving's website and when you fill out the registration form enter norcalvca2011 for the special price. Sign up early because I hear this event will fill up quickly. Also, if you could send me a pm after you sign up that would be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
72hemi

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I forgot to mention the price! We are being offered a savings of $50 off the normal $285 registration fee (so registration fee of $235). You can sign up for both days if you wish, but the majority of people are planning on just attending Saturday the 24th. During the registration process you enter the code in the "GIFT CERTIFICATE OR CREDIT CODE:" section of the form.

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score

that looked terrible.

Mine didn't put anyone else in danger, but myself.

I was talking to Ted May while getting my car serviced and he said he won't even take new customers to Inifineon until they do other tracks with him first.

He said it's the most dangerous track he's been on and I assume he's been on a few.

Be careful out there. I was doing fine, no offs, no close calls nothing until my big splat against the wall!

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got back from thunderhill. If any of you are wondering if you should get your viper on a track...you should. Great fun!
You must be registered for see images attach

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...looks like some GoPro video will be coming soon! Nice pic.

If you can, post up a "track day review" here in the NorCal VCA section... it would be great to have a series of threads with detailed setups, track conditions, tires, pressures, driving impressions, etc. Lap times definitely NOT necessary. Info on the organization you drove with with, and your impressions of the way the day was run. And all with pics/videos, of course...

Rich

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Infineon is the most challenging in the area, mainly because there is practically no run off areas. There is only a wall to catch you if you make a mistake.

Buttonwillow is a great beginners track as the are very few places that you can hurt your car if you go off.

Thunderhill is a fun track with lots of room. There enough variation and elevation changes to keep things interesting.

Laguna Seca is fun track with some challenging corners but there is adequate runoff in most places so it is not as "scary" as Infineon (Sears Point).

that looked terrible.

Mine didn't put anyone else in danger, but myself.

I was talking to Ted May while getting my car serviced and he said he won't even take new customers to Inifineon until they do other tracks with him first.

He said it's the most dangerous track he's been on and I assume he's been on a few.

Be careful out there. I was doing fine, no offs, no close calls nothing until my big splat against the wall!

OP
OP
72hemi

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So far there are 2 people signed up (including myself). Please sign up as soon as possible, let's get a good turn out on this one so we can do more of these in the future.

OP
OP
72hemi

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are up to 4 registered for this event. It seems there is a Sports Car Club from a retirement community that is attending this event as well and they have more people signed up then we do. Let's not allow that to happen so let's get some more Vipers signed up.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John, I'm finally getting around to booking this now....are you guys staying at a particular hotel on the Friday night? I've checked out the area and there are only two 2.5 star hotels, the Holiday Inn Express and the Baymont Inn. I figure I'll try Priceline and see what number I get.

Regards,
Aaron

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, 1stly, the NORCALVCA2011 must be in upper case to be accepted. (I tried it otherwise, then panicked and wasted space on John's voicemail...sorry buddy) I also booked a room at the Baymont Inn. (unsure if anyone else booked there, but the Holiday Inn Express is full.

So do they have helmet rental on-site or do I need to purchase one ahead of time?

Regards,
Aaron

OP
OP
72hemi

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aaron I just got your voicemail, glad to hear you were able to get that issue resolved. As for the other questions, yes there is on site helmet rental. The cost is $20. As for where I am staying. I haven't actually decided yet if I am going to head up Friday night or Saturday morning, or if I am going to come home Saturday evening or stay the extra night.