Not Many Members?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been a member for a long time (with a brief time out) but I am now listed as an enthusiast and I have paid up my membership. I miss my member "Delmarvelous" designation.

I sent in my membership along with the current raffle payment.

Steve, I'm sure one of the admins will follow up on this for you.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The membership is worth it just to piss off the ghetto wheel posers and nannie wannabees. There should be a "Super Venom" membership for $500 that would allow swearing and the most offensive language ever written.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The membership is worth it just to piss off the ghetto wheel posers and nannie wannabees. There should be a "Super Venom" membership for $500 that would allow swearing and the most offensive language ever written.

I like the idea, but the "Super Venom" tag would probably get removed by some glitch as well.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
So for those that want to have the owner status brought back - would you be willing to pay a fee - say $50 to offset the cost to administer this and support the website?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I like the idea, but the "Super Venom" tag would probably get removed by some glitch as well.

:lmao:I don't know, there may be a few that would pay $500 to see that in a special forum here. :D

Let's combine everything. For $500 you get a glitch resistant Super Venom tag, Chuck can cuss, Tony can post mole hair pics, and I can post nekkid ******* girls pics. I want to be a mod so I can ban Tony as soon as he posts his pics :D And to make it even more controversial, it'll show up in the "Most Recent Threads" listings at the top of the page :lmao:

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let people pay for anything they want. "Well hung stud" can go under their name for $250. "Richest guy on the board" for $1,000. "Fastest driver" another 1K. "Shiniest detail job" for $250. :)

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I let my membership expire this year. I just wasnt getting my moneys worth. There were no local events and I could never seem to get to the events in Alberta. I also found that the site had too many politics and I hate politics in a car forum. If I thought I could get some value out of the membership I would probably still be a member but after 3 years and not being able to make 1 event I decided to pull the plug.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's combine everything. For $500 you get a glitch resistant Super Venom tag, Chuck can cuss, Tony can post mole hair pics, and I can post nekkid ******* girls pics. I want to be a mod so I can ban Tony as soon as he posts his pics :D And to make it even more controversial, it'll show up in the "Most Recent Threads" listings at the top of the page :lmao:

If there's one thing I'd like to have is the ability to post what I know/witnessed about various things. Wouldn't you like to know which vendors buy parts from the VPA but don't admit it? Wouldn't you really like to know why someone was banned and what really happened? :D Which former members damned themselves away from the VCA and why? Which Yellow Viper owners wear red boxers but are afraid to admit it? :omg: I think people would pay to read those stories. I should write a book and donate the proceeds to the VCA. I think we need a Drama forum that members can opt into/out of that's not monitored or monitored but with a very small policy.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So for those that want to have the owner status brought back - would you be willing to pay a fee - say $50 to offset the cost to administer this and support the website?

Yep, this is what I was asking for a year or so ago. An associate membership option. :dunno:

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let people pay for anything they want. "Well hung stud" can go under their name for $250. "Richest guy on the board" for $1,000. "Fastest driver" another 1K. "Shiniest detail job" for $250. :)

If there's one thing I'd like to have is the ability to post what I know/witnessed about various things. Wouldn't you like to know which vendors buy parts from the VPA but don't admit it? Wouldn't you really like to know why someone was banned and what really happened? :D Which former members damned themselves away from the VCA and why? Which Yellow Viper owners wear red boxers but are afraid to admit it? :omg: I think people would pay to read those stories. I should write a book and donate the proceeds to the VCA. I think we need a Drama forum that members can opt into/out of that's not monitored or monitored but with a very small policy.

I'd pay for both these ideas. This Super Venom NC-17 Drama forum could make more some big money. The mod stories would be worth the price of admission. "Kevan" posting pictures of Hanna Hilton would only be a bonus. Definitely go VERY light on the moderation. As long as me and MoparBoy aren't making terroristic threats against each other, let the big kids play unsupervised :D

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...I've received a lot of help from members of this forum and I feel like I owe something back.

I think that's apparent in the DIY's you've graciously posted here for the membership. Thank you. :2tu: I was hoping we'd see more from you.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I figure my Venom membership is worth every penny, however I'm in a region now where there's lots of events for me to attend and I really enjoy time associating with other Viper owners/members.

When I lived in the Midwest, I was 2 hours from the active IL club and 3 hours from the Motor City club, so I participated in next to no events....but I kept my membership alive for the ability to enter "Members only" raffles and because I believe that an active club benefits me; even if I'm not participating. I believe the leadership, although changing/morphing from its original configuration is likely in the best interest of members.

I guess if I didn't want to participate in raffles, didn't attend club events and only wanted to fraternize here with other owners, then having a tag of "Viper Owner" wouldn't mean a whole lot, since I don't derive any sense of self-worth with a title I pay for...but thats probably just me.

Having a Super Venom membership being "above" suspension level would be kinda fun, but I don't lead as exciting a life (nor choose to share photographs of some of the wonderful images I carry in my head) enough to post those things here....so I probably wouldn't ante up.

One thing I do wish for that changed recently was that paid Viper suppliers can't post their sales and regular prices to queries posted here....I miss that because it allowed me to know when to buy things already on my "wish list" on sale.

Regards,
Aaron

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard they're not very nice over there.

Chuck, I almost bought a Porsche with a vette motor(renegade kits out of vegas) after browsing on the alley. I thought these Vipers must do something to your soul or something. Stretching it a lil' but its definitely not for the timid! Wasn't it started from some of the guys from here, that didn't really jive with the Administrators or something like that.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing I do wish for that changed recently was that paid Viper suppliers can't post their sales and regular prices to queries posted here....I miss that because it allowed me to know when to buy things already on my "wish list" on sale.

We're discussing this. Don't know how it will end up but do know the VCA is looking into it.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear ViperTony,

Cool, I figure since they pay to advertise here, there's gotta be some benefit, especially to newbie's!

I was a newbie here once and certainly the learning curve about my Generation of Viper was something the members of this site and vendors here were so helpful to help me overcome....I think newbie's should have that same ability.

Thanks!
Regards,
Aaron

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Ahh jeez, not you too Andy. It's like the invasion of the Body Snatchers around here.:(

Party like it's 1984.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know about other regions, but GA-VCA people get their money's worth in food alone. We went to a Year One carshow on Saturday. Plan was to meet at ******* (located right beside interstate) at 2, leave at 2:15. Several people showed up early, I figured what the hell...the GA-VCA will buy lunch. 11 VCA members got a "surprise" free meal out of the deal. Those who showed up at 2, came in, ordered and we waited on them to finish. We pay for everything but alcohol. You want dessert? Be my guest. They'll get at least 5-6 more free meals this year. Plus we pay entry fees for most events (we paid for the Year One carshow fees), FREE Christmas party, 1/2 cost dyno day, etc.

I still remember at my 1st event, me and my dad went and when we ordered food the then GA-VCA President told me to order whatever I wanted, the club was picking up the check. I was like "Really?" and he said to me "its the Viper Club, not the Yugo club. We take care of our members". That stuck with me, so I continued the tradition.
Damm, Im in the wrong section of the club :( A free meal 'With *******'.....That's gotta be worth Venom Membership :D

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
theres been a software update Baz, anyone who isnt actually a paid up VCA member has been altered, automatically to Enthusiast
Basically what we started doing was manually checking the forum database against the membership database. In that comparison we found members that hadn't renewed in years, going back as far as 2004. We had gone through roughly 2700 of the 11,000+ registered forum users and found 700(!) people listed as members that weren't. And that was just in reviewing the first 2700 users. Faced with having to manually go through the rest (the first 2700 took about 25 hours), our programmer stepped in and created code to do it automatically. Not only did it do a one-time "sweep", but also automatically updates members as they joined or renewed, even allowing them to choose their own Venom tag color as part of the join/renewal process. Realize that every single "VCA Member" on the forums up until then was manually created by one of the club volunteers - a huge amount of work. The idea is both to automate the process and to reward those that really did pay for membership - not those that stopped paying years ago.

I'm a paid up VENOM member, but my VENOM disappeared. Still shows me as member though. Not sure I understand how this "purging" is working. Some bugs in any type of change are expected, but this is throwing all sorts of strange stuff out there and it's been going on for a LONG time.
The "sweep" was made a couple weeks ago and the main challenges were the sponsor titles - everything else transferred fairly well. In your case, the member database didn't reflect your Venom status and has now been corrected. You can log into your membership portal (https://www.viperclub.org/membership/) and change your tag color to anything you like - it should appear at the bottom once you are logged in.

I need to renew mine but is it worth it?
The club is working very, very hard to make it even more worthwhile. VIPER magazine is going strong and is increasing to six issues a year. The regions are being supported financially and encouraged to hold even more events - in and out of their "main" regional headquarters. The raffles are still awesome, the insurance for social driving events is very real, and there are many, many other benefits such as discounted CARFAX reports, Monroney reprints, vendor discounts, and much more. The club will undoubtedly be introducing more benefits as time goes on, including benefits for those that may not be near a regional "headquarters". And don't forget that the club brings you closer to the manufacturer than most could ever do individually. VCA members have access to amazing tours, "sneak peeks" on future product ideas, and a direct line to the manufacturer that few other car clubs can boast.

Wow. Paying for comradery. Wow. I like to think a common bond is not fee based.

@ Chad... I can afford my own food. Yeah, I've scored some free meals via the club membership, but... did I say I can afford food?

Similar to states like Wisconsin realizing that unions are no longer needed, does a car enthusiast need to pay to organize with friends with the technology of the Internet? Does the VCA need to rethink their business profile to modern life?
It has little to do with free food, nor is it simply a "gathering of owners" - which can indeed be done for free. What it has to do with is pooling resources to come up with things that interest everybody - good magazines (with more technical articles for those inclined), outstanding raffles, "free" liability insurance at social events, easier access to the manufacturer, and discounts from a lot of sponsors and vendors that you wouldn't get otherwise.

I had a bitter departure from the VCA. Can't even tell you about it here. It would be censored like it was then.
Agreed that this is definitely not the time or place for it, but note that the "bitter departure" was completely one-sided: You were asked to stay, including personal phone calls from the then-national president. The club bends over backwards to placate 99.99% of the members, no matter how they treat the club in return.

I have been a member for a long time (with a brief time out) but I am now listed as an enthusiast and I have paid up my membership. I miss my member "Delmarvelous" designation.

I sent in my membership along with the current raffle payment.
If that is indeed the case, then your renewal went to the wrong place. The "offline" raffle payments are being handled by JRT, whereas the membership is not. We will check with JRT in the morning to track down your renewal payment and get you updated.

I've met a lot of viper owners at regional club functions. Some have become friends, but most, not so much. The club functions are usually fun, but there isn't much viper talk that goes on. I don't mind the cost of membership, even if I didn't go to any of the events...and I don't plan on going to many this year. I've definitely thought about not renewing, but in the end...I've received a lot of help from members of this forum and I feel like I owe something back.
Ditto. There are a fairly large number of folks, including myself, who try to give back to the club that has helped us over the years.

The club has talked about that in the past and I am sure will talk about it again in the future. We talked about multi-year and even lifetime memberships, "associate" forum memberships, etc. Of course an even more private (and less restrictive) forum is always enticing, but the challenge is still presenting a somewhat "wholesome" image to the member's 12-year-old daughter who happens to see that forum open (or the boss at work). Ditto with photos, as most know that very few here shoot their own naked-lady pictures - which means they are copyrighted and we can't display them even if we were a triple-X club. There should still be room for expansion regardless.

I let my membership expire this year. I just wasnt getting my moneys worth. There were no local events and I could never seem to get to the events in Alberta. I also found that the site had too many politics and I hate politics in a car forum. If I thought I could get some value out of the membership I would probably still be a member but after 3 years and not being able to make 1 event I decided to pull the plug.
There are plenty of reasons besides the events to stay on as a member, as listed above. I would guess that 75% of our members never attend a single event in a year, but continue to renew for the magazine, raffle opportunities, vendor discounts, etc.

As for politics, I couldn't agree more - despite getting thrown into them as much as anybody here. We are long overdue to get back to the simple pleasures of being a car club. Our challenge is that there will always be a few, some of them very vocal, that will criticize the way things are being done - no matter what it is. The politics can be very, very ugly and not just a little bit vicious. The club always takes the high road, even when it might be better off by defending certain positions and exposing the truth. The challenge is that those truths can often hurt those other people and the club avoids that at all possible costs - even when it means getting flogged in the process. Rest assured that the politics are one-sided - we just want to be the best car club possible and nothing more.

Actually, the club changed vendor posting rules over a year and a half ago (and long before Viper Parts of America was even thought about - much less created). Those rules were changed after repeated complaints from members and even other vendors. A simple post asking about the best brake upgrade on a Gen II would lead to several posts about what was for sale - and not necessarily what the best upgrade might be. Fifty posts a day saying "we have that and it is on sale" got old for some folks, especially when they weren't even asking for prices to begin with.

All that said, the club is actively discussing this very issue and how to "open it up" while still treating all vendors equally. Despite being 100% owned by the club, people (and other vendors) would cry foul if VPA started posting replies to every other post with prices, availability, etc. The challenge is to keep it fair for everybody, even those sponsors that rarely have the time to visit the forums but still have great prices and product availability (Roe Racing anyone?). It's not an easy thing to balance for the club.

I was a newbie here once and certainly the learning curve about my Generation of Viper was something the members of this site and vendors here were so helpful to help me overcome....I think newbie's should have that same ability.
Agreed 110%. I have often given credit to JonB for bringing me up to speed on some of the technical issues when we bought our first Viper back in 1999. I didn't know (or care) where he was getting those answers, just that he was helping me understand my new car purchase. In return, whenever I could afford an upgrade for my car that wasn't available from Mopar I turned to Parts Rack. The price wasn't as important as the fact that he helped me out when I first joined the club. The posting policies didn't and don't discourage vendors from answering technical questions and the market-savvy ones continue to do just that - and get business because of it.

The bottom line is simple: We don't want the politics but do want everybody to be enjoying the benefits of Viper Club of America membership. The club may stumble occasionally (like TowDawg's Venom tag), but is always trying to do the right thing for the membership as a whole. We continue to reach out to those that demand even more from their club membership, but there is only so much the club can do. Our membership continues to climb and the club has never been financially stronger. We hope that will translate to more member benefits for all - no matter where they might live. And if you have been busted down to Enthusiast but still own a Viper, it's real easy to fix it: https://www.viperclub.org/membership/ (that's https://www.viperclub.org/join/ if you have never been a member before).

:2tu:

Last edited:

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear Chris,

Thats great to hear and I figured something better was on the way.

The more technical knowledge we get for free as owners helps us make those informed decisions as we do upgrades.....and yes, MODS is an incurable sickness!

Regards,
Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.