now its a built motor!!!

ACPERFORMANCE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dimitri asked that I chime in.

Car is off the dyno. It did really well. It was 86 degrees in the shop, SAE correctd, on STRAIGHT 91 octane. (we drained the tank and added fresh 91 shell)

Car made a best of 653 rwhp and 619rwtq

Took the car out for a drive and it drove great, felt great and was an absolute animal. Dimitri you'll have your hands full. The car pulls like a supercharged car all the way through, sounds roudy as hell at idle and is truly impressive.

All on a dyno dynamics dyno. Just for the record to show accuracy, I just pulled a supercharged quad cab off the dyno yesterday that pulled 608rwhp. CP pistons, stock heads, cam etc/

Ill get Dimitri the video of the dyno as soon as I can. Been buried with work.

Thanks Dimitri, were getting the car all put back together tomorrow and then well start on the detail.

Todd

ACPERFORMANCE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
AND I promised not to give out any details on Dimitri's engine as I gave my word. It has to be one of the hardest running NA Vipers out there. Even I didn't expect quite that High of a number. But truth is in the finished product. For anybody that see's or hears this car, it will speak for itself.

Rolling in second it will destroy the rear tires and it even gets loose in 3rd. Crazy Crazy ride.

Todd

Last edited:

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow..I was expecting the tradition 550-600 rwhp and in this case thought he didnt need all the extra stuff..

but 653 rwhp sae has exceeded my expectations and it is a good thing he went the extra mile with all the costly precautioins..

That is simply bad A$$..

WOW

A 750 HP gen3 naturally Asperated..Who would have thought

OP
OP
D

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow.. I just got back to San Jose... What a day plus at Todd's shop to observe dyno tunning... 890 miles round trip. Well worth it!

Todd had text me yesterday afternoon.. he was on the dyno, getting into the runs. First thing i did was cut out of work (that felt cool) and floor the Honda daily to Murrieta.

Todd specified after double inspection of valvetrain, he was fully confident everything with motor was ready and time to tune. The weather cooled to just above 80F which helped.

Just to reiterate. This is Todds built motor running 10.7:1 CP Pistons, K1 technologies rods. Power Seal Rings.. combined with Greg Goods heads & cam. and yes, Greg is real Good!!

Other mods are Greg's match ported intake, Todd's pro breather setup, K&N, XMetal TB (installed last few runs), American Racing 1 3/4" -3", Cat delete, Stock Mufflers, AB Quality wires, 3.33 Unitrax, Centerforce clutch?

8am this morning, 68F in shop, we were pulling around 620 with Stock TB still in... after a few tuning & dyno iterations we were getting into mid 630's.. not much waiting for motor to cool... 15-20 mimutes max between runs... motor power repeatability seemed stable. We were hitting highs in the mid-upper 630's with the stock TB, so lets take a break.

Todd swapped to the Xmetal single blade now, dialed the TPS in, and the motor liked it.

Immediately after XMetal install we dynoed and got into the 640's.

Todd was playng a bit with the timing advance and air/fuel up top 5400-6000 rpm range. We were using the SCT.
In the next hour, the dyno hp numbers were 647, 642, 645...
It was 76F in the shop

We were making max power 5800-6000 rpm range. power wasnt dropping off at all past 6000 rpm but not rising much either beyond 6000 rpm.

The gen 3 stock computer cuts tuning cells input just about 6200rpm.
Todd asked if i was ok with a 6200 rpm upper limit and I honestly said hell ya. He said he could get more elaborate with the tuning cells and tune to above 6200 & higher rpms.
Its my motor and I really thought no value spinning beyond 6200, mainly to consider safety and maintain some margin. No need to spin a motor higher if no noticeable or significant power gains. I just didnt feel the need to push past 6200 rpm. The motor was doing well. Todd concured.

By the way, during all these dyno runs i was looking at the exhaust and saw nothing unusual, all clear.. not the single touch of any smoke nothing.. nowhere.. Didnt make a big thing about it... just felt good about it.

Todd also removed 1-2 spark plugs almost after every run to inspect. They looked good so keep pressing on.

Todd continued to look at the air fuel and timing data for the 645 pull and wouldnt rest there.
By this time it was about 12pm and shop temps were in the mid 80's.
He pulled a degree or so of timing up top and richened air fuel a bit more. Air/fuel was 12.5-12.6 up top.

We pulled again and reached
653rwhp @6000 rpm & 619ft-lbs @ 5100 rpm

I was very satisfied. We spoke of a 2nd tune with octance booster however.. not important right now.

the motor was there... time for a little test drive.

Im taking this car home in a few days.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94aypCA9ghI[/media]

The motor sound on this video is NO WHERE what the car really sounds like.

From where i was standing filming this, the sound was causing the skin on my face to warp and my ears to flap.

That with Stock mufflers too!

OP
OP
D

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow..I was expecting the tradition 550-600 rwhp and in this case thought he didnt need all the extra stuff..

Well, Greg Good did gurantee me more than 6-8 months ago his head & Cam setup on a stock gen3 bottom end, running 10.5:1 comp due to his heads, has been proven to yield 610-620 rwhp.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good old greg will always give true numbers or even sand bag a lil rather than build it up with false promises

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow....653whp!!!!! GREAT numbers and awesome job by A&C. Dipapa, you will certainly have a few of us follow your steps with that awesome NA Build.

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone looking for a Paxton, PM me.:D Todd, video a cold start, please. That has to sound choppy as hell.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations Dimitri!!!! That's a wicked build you got. Got to give props to Todd and Greg Good. I know for a fact that Greg outdid himself on your heads and obviously your results support his work. These guys rock!

OP
OP
D

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey All,

Picked up my Built Motor Copperhead from Todd's shop last Saturday morning.

All Systems Go! 510 miles since Saturday everything feels real good.

Throtle response is so lively.. hardly laying into it pulls strong.

Todd did put allot of timing into the low end range...makes it real responsive.

Got to be careful punching it..feels brutal.

The built Motor car feels hands down better than the Paxton setup I had on the stock motor.

Cant wait till next weekend rolls around!

OP
OP
D

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Enjoyed it a bit this weekend. Copperhead feels strong.

650 miles since N/A motor build.

All gauge temps & pressures always looking good.

Catch can completely dry.

Well i understand the following question may be tough to answer.

Originally Catch can exit line discharged into air filter area.
I decided to vent it to atmosphere. I understand its normal for all motors valve covers to expel some smoke. Every motor has some blow-by.

How much smoke is normal exiting from catch can exit?

How much blow-by is normal?

Like i said after 650 miles catch can completely dry.

Im still on break in oil as well.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
At start up, the "smoke" is usually just water vapor but some blow by is normal with "cold" forged pistons.

It will take a while for the piston rings to seat and reduce blow by.

I'd change the oil to Mobil 1 15w50 right now.

I vent the catch can on my 09 ACR track car through a small K & N filter and have no blow by at all but my engine has 10,000 miles on it.

Be careful "gasing it" out of the corners as it may bite.

Viper Days will be at Spring Mountain Oct 22, 23 & 24. Come out and run with us.

Good luck,

Dan

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan

Dan, why 15w50 now at this point in his break-in process? (this is not meant to start a which oil is better thread). Just curious about 15w50.

How much smoke is normal exiting from catch can exit?

What does Greg Good and/or Todd say on the matter? In speaking with Greg recently, it sounds like you don't have to worry about much blow by as it appears Todd outdid himself with the rings/seal. :2tu:

OP
OP
D

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At start up, the "smoke" is usually just water vapor but some blow by is normal with "cold" forged pistons.

It will take a while for the piston rings to seat and reduce blow by.

Thanks Dan.

How many miles before pistons seat?

I was under the assumption that with a new build motor, start up the car for 15-30 minutes idle & low load test driving and then get on the dyno to tune. Lets say 10 dyno pulls to redline it required to tune... the piston ring are likely seated by that point.

Correct me if the piston ring seating is a longer process?

I was told 15W-50 is preffered as well.

OP
OP
D

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper Days will be at Spring Mountain Oct 22, 23 & 24. Come out and run with us.

I used to track a Z06 & EV0... feels like a bizzilion years ago.

3 back surgeries later...glad just to get home with my spine still aligned after a short Viper spin.

Mostly glad Todd build a Kick Ass Copperhead!

Have a great track day!!!

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Dan, why 15w50 now at this point in his break-in process? (this is not meant to start a which oil is better thread). Just curious about 15w50.

I can't provide you with a scientific answer and am not an oil expert.

That said, I do have over 100,000 miles in Vipers with about 25,000 track miles, including a 900+ rwhp "straight line Paxton car", a 01 GTS ACR track car with 500+ rwhp and a 09 ACR at 580 rwhp track car. I've lost two engines along the way in my Paxton car (very expensive) and become a bit "gun shy" so tend to take every precaution.

I've personally changed fluids for all of my cars since inception. I've seen the way Mobil1 10w30 looks and feels when it comes out of an engine at 3,000 street miles and at 500 track miles, which are my normal oil change intervals. I wouldn't hesitate to use 10w30 in street cars. I've also seen the way M1 15w50 looks and feels at the same intervals, and it seems to respond much better in higher heat situations like the track or increased engine power, as it should. Also, Dodge / SRT recommends 15w50 for track use in the ACR.

Dipapa's car is now making 200+ more hp than it's original design intent, which will mean higher compression pressure and more heat. I've been down that road too and spent about 2 years trying to make my Paxton car run cool enough for summer in LA, especially idling on the freeway at 3 mph for an hour.

Also, I'm not sure of the oiling system in this engine and there are known issues with the Gen III's oiling system on the track and under load that were resolved with the Gen IV. Knowing Todd, he took care of this.

It's what I run in all 4 of my Vipers with very good results and seems like cheap insurance.

Dan

OP
OP
D

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes 15W-50 was recommended by the experts.

Though a new motor, I assume the Piston Rings are seated after a dozen dyno runs during the tune process.

Thats was a bit of load.

Reaction score
My opinion is that....it is Todd's engine, and his advice should be followed on the oil used.

Congrats on the power Dimitri. I am so happy to have been involved in this project.

And thanks Todd for all of your work.

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yes 15W-50 was recommended by the experts.

Though a new motor, I ass /u /me the Piston Rings are seated after a dozen dyno runs during the tune process.

Thats was a bit of load.

Would not assume (you know the old saying) that the rings are seated. Would ask Todd what he recommends.

Don't know the exact mileage the piston rings in this engine will be seated properly. Would guess several thousand miles as a minimum.

Do know that most Viper engines get stronger, i.e. make more power, over time, up to a point.

Dan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian R