OBD 94 viper

JRSViperRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have read various things but does a gen 1 1994 viper have an OBD port under the steering column or do you have to plug into the ECM in the engine bay?

Old School

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It has an ODB1 connection, not ODB2, so standard code readers will not work (a Chrysler DRB2 will). You can retrieve the codes using the standard Chrysler method of cycling ignition on-off-on-off-on and counting the flashing check engine light.

OP
OP
J

JRSViperRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is what I was afraid of thank you.

An older code reader like the DRB2 would work though? Is that what performance and repair shops would use?

You would think someone had come up w an adaptor for the 2 by now

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Just to be clear, I use my DRB III with a Super Card 2 to read and clear codes on our 1995 Viper. Its OBD I port is under the hood, on passenger side at the PCM. The plug is more square...and looks nothing like the more familiar OBD II port. This setup takes a different cable which is a "Y"...one limb of the "Y" goes to the OBD I port while the other limb goes to the 12 volt terminal on the driver side under the hood.

You might still be able to find an older Action or Innova code reader that was offered with both OBD I and OBD II cables.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Just to be clear, I use my DRB III with a Super Card 2 to read and clear codes on our 1995 Viper. Its OBD I port is under the hood, on passenger side at the PCM. The plug is more square...and looks nothing like the more familiar OBD II port. This setup takes a different cable which is a "Y"...one limb of the "Y" goes to the OBD I port while the other limb goes to the 12 volt terminal on the driver side under the hood.

You might still be able to find an older Action or Innova code reader that was offered with both OBD I and OBD II cables.

Yeah, a DRB III works as well, though those are likely no more common as most shops, even less so indie shops I imagine. I used mine on my mom's 94 when she was having some rough running issues to work out that she had a bad coil.

maverickagm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In terms of "modern" obd1 readers. These three devices are the same:

Actron CP9690
Bosch OBD 1300
OTC 3211

They come in stock from time to time. However, they don't have an entry for Dodge Vipers. You can get some live data by selecting a 1994 Dodge Ram V10. I tried reading codes with the Actron. My car is not throwing any codes but the Actron popped up a code about Air Conditioning (my car doesn't have AC).

I have always wondered what a DRB II or DRB III is capable of doing. Apparently a SnapOn MT2500 will also work.

The problem is I have no idea what cards and accessories you need for these to work with 92-95 Vipers. The above post by MoparMap does answer the question for the DRB III though. Thanks!

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Even with the DRB III the diagnostics are somewhat limited on the early cars, but you can do stuff like actual coils, injectors, etc. one by one to see if those outputs are good on the computer. I just got lucky in that I had got the DRB III for my 04 and it came with a bunch of cables and cards, so I was able to test them out. I plan to have my car for a long time, so I started collecting all the dealer tools for it I could get my hands on reasonably.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala