OEM GTS Wheel Question

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone link me to a photo of the 2001 OEM wheels powdercoated black? I have a bumblebee and I think powdercoating my oem's black will look phenominal.

I also want opinions on my valve cover and intake manifold. Should I have them done in yellow, gloss black, flat black or wrinkle finish black? I was leaning towards wrinkle finish.

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So wigginz and bill, do you think the black powder coating looks good for the wheels? What about black chrome? The only thing steering me from black chrome is the fact that I have gloss black stripes.

Keep in mind bill if I powder coat the valves and intake manifold it will not be race yellow, that color is not offered. It would be a yellow that is close, though not exact.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meant to ask, do you think that powder coating my wheels will lower the value of the car?

Also on the manifold and valve covers I was going to see if I could probably do them in black and have the letter and the stripes on the manifold in black.

wigginz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So wigginz and bill, do you think the black powder coating looks good for the wheels? What about black chrome? The only thing steering me from black chrome is the fact that I have gloss black stripes.

Keep in mind bill if I powder coat the valves and intake manifold it will not be race yellow, that color is not offered. It would be a yellow that is close, though not exact.

Hmm, I think it looks good! Very unique (don't see it much). You could take those pics from viperalley and do a little photoshop magic with a pic of your car to get a good idea.

As for value... hard to say. You can get a set of decent shape OEM wheels for about $1000 if you ever need to replace them... but keep in mind they're getting rarer the longer you wait. I don't think it would bring the value down, but it might make it a bit harder to sell. Seems like most buyers prefer 100% OEM cars.

wigginz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Oh, and as for valve covers... I have no clue heheh. I never really thought about doing it myself, it's not going to make the car any faster ;)

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thats true but i think the red does not look good on a bright yellow car. i honestly do not plan on ever selling this vehicle unless i need to, it is my dream car. worse case scenario i will just pick up another set of oem's. im not doing any big mods to it, least not for a while.

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm. Should I have them painted then? Personally there are not many after market wheels that I like on the vipers, and they are too expensive for my budget. I really like my stock wheels, I just don;t feel that chrome has a place on a yellow/black stripe gen 2.

wigginz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just a suggestion... although it doesn't sound like it's the way you want to go, but I have a set of black SSR's on my GTS. They're functional light weight racing wheels, but I like the look a lot for every day driving too. Here's a pic of mine. They have chrome center caps which I had to take off at the track though. They're not too expensive, think I paid $2100 for the set if I remember correctly. They saved me around 30 pounds over the ACR wheels, definitely be more over GTS OEM wheels.

Only Viper on the track that day. on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
those aren't bad looking but they are not my taste. that is a more common style for honda's and such. my main dislike for them is the spokes dip in and do not extend to the lip of the wheels, makes the wheels look smaller. I like the oem's because they actually look like 18's as opposed to a lot of after market wheels.

wigginz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Very true! Hate to admit it, but they are Japanese wheels :) I guess your decision now is black chrome or black powder coating? I'd be real interested to see what you end up with, I still have my set of '02 OEM wheels, might be something I decide to do at some point.

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont think black chrome is going to be the way to go, nothing on the car really goes with black chrome. I was thinking black powdercoat then have someone outline pete on the center cap in safety yellow.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Black wheels were a fad in the 70's. Even Jackie Stewart drove a F1 car with black wheels. Possibly early 70's or late 60's. Many cars did the same. It will date you as badly as yellow or mustard color wheels. That is: Bottom line is they just don't belong on a gen 2 car. Leave them as they are and get some after market wheels that you can throw away or sell to a ricer later. GTS Bruce

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Generally Im not a fan of black wheels, but that's just my opinion.

I like the suggestion of an aftermarket set and you can never go wrong with HRE chromes or Forgeline gun metal.

:usa:

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2 big issues with after market for me, pricing and styling. I have not seen a set i really like and im an E5 in the military, spending 2500 to 5k on a set of wheels just isn't in the budget :). Here is a sample

You must be registered for see images attach