OFFICIAL SRT-10 POLL!!! THUMBS UP or THUMBS DOWN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

viperct2001

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bwright:
I also wonder about some of the thinly veiled racism I read on this board in regard to the heritage of the SRT/10's designer.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My apologies if my tongue-in-cheek comment was taken as such. No offense was intended. It's just that I view the Viper as an American icon and hate that it seems to be inheiriting foreign traits, i.e. S2000. I'm not sure if the designer is a Japanese American. If so, then he's just as American as anybody else. We're all part of the Great American melting ***!

If he's not a Japanese American, then I gotta go back to my conspiracy theory! We, the Viper nation are being converted to Ricers! oh no!!!!

I'll be honest and say I think my vote was counted twice Viper GTS. I posted a reply here twice to reply. Remove one from the thumbs down.

It's still rougly 80% against the SRT-10. These votes can't be just because most of these voters own a Gen 1 or Gen 2 car and wish to stay loyal to their car. 80% is way too high of a figure to attest to just loyalty. Something is wrong here.

I'd bet each and every one of us Gen 1/2 owners wouldn't do a one-for-one trade for the SRT-10. Well, we probably would trade, then sell the SRT-10, buy a used Gen1/2 Viper and pocket the difference.

I honestly don't think it has anything to do with loyalty, just pure observation of the facts. Don't get me wrong, the new Viper is a nice looking car and it retains the Viper look for the most part, but it's just not as jaw-dropping , eye-popping, eye-candy as the Gen1/2s.

Everyone will always have their preferences and tastes. Life would be boring if we all had the same opinion. But 80% against the SRT-10 has gotta say something, I'm sorry!

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Until they come out with something that looks better than my Viper, I will not be buying one.

The new viper does not have the "awe" factor of the GenI/II. The performance is nice and I like that it is a convertible but other than that Thumbs Down.

I am glad that they raised the performance bar because the corvette is getting a little too close for my comfort. It is not an ugly car it is just a "camaro". You can literally see a viper coming down the highway 1/2 mile away but this new viper will be hard to pick out of a crowd.

I do however like the looks of the competition coupe and I would consider buying one of those if it becomes street legal. It does look great.

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you tomer & Devin 97 Blue GTS for taking the time to have your voices heard! Your opinion matters & I'll make sure that it's heard.

With your contribution to the poll, the vote stands at 93-23 AGAINST the SRT-10. Please tell a friend to vote!

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you utahviper & GJ for your contribution to the Official VCA SRT-10 Poll! Your opinion definitely matters!

With your contribution, the poll stands at 95-23 AGAINST the SRT-10. Please tell a friend to vote!

RockyTop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thumbs down. Performance wise I'll have to wait and see real numbers (not Automobile magazine's numbers, which I think are suspect). Looks wise I am disheartened. It looks like a Miata/S200/Corvette/Celica hybrid. Original it's not. That its designer is Japanese is obvious and unfortunate. Lest I be labelled racist, it just has very Japanese-car looking lines. I'd rather have had Italian to be honest !
Like others, my love of the Viper erupted when I saw the GTS. I HAD to own one. No such sentiment arises when I view the SRT-10. Now, the Comp Coupe ? That is definitely another story ! IT ROCKS. I know the two are very similar in many facets of their design, but it works for the hard top with the wing etc. I will never love the gill as currently designed. Some photoshop designs posted here kick the real cars' butt w/r/t the shape of the side gill.

I'll wait, perhaps forever, for the new coupe, thanks.

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just want to thank the following people for contributing to the poll. wilddude, Hemi, MarkusReinhardt, mit, RockyTop, ViperLuke, & Russ M. Your voices have been heard & definitely count!

With your contribution, the poll stands at 102-23 AGAINST the SRT-10. Please tell a friend to vote!

mit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been asked to repost due to threads moving:

Thumbs down. I think the SRT-10 looks ridiculous.
That said, I am not that big a fan of the RT/10 either. I think
it looks like it has a bad toupee with the top on and that roof is a pain. My Viper lust did not begin until the GTS came out. I vote thumbs down because I find the SRT-10 to be a step backwards in terms of styling when compared to the RT/10 a vehicle I was already lukewarm on.
In a few years when it's time to replace the GTS, I would consider a coupe version of the SRT-10 if it comes out. Otherwise, I am not a Mopar for life kind of person so I will try something else, preferably with the motor behind me.
So, I have pretty much offended everyone except other GTS owners. Nothing lasts forever. I would have preferred if DC had stayed closer to the original body style but a 10 year run is pretty good. A dead pedal and conventional hood and fenders is all they needed to do for me. That and more power. On the new car, they could go a long way to improve the styling by just changing the triangular side vents. That is my biggest complaint.
I have had a lot of people come up to me and tell me they hate the new Viper. Since I have a 2001 GTS and only got to be current for a short time until the SRT-10 announcement came, I realize I will have a hard time being objective.
I do vote thumbs down but I really think that some people are taking this way too seriously. The world is not going to end.
There are some really compelling cars coming out if you don't like the SRT.

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for your contribution to the poll Jeff Torrey. Your voice definitely matters!

With your vote the poll stands at 103-23 AGAINST the SRT-10. Please tell a friend to vote!

Martin D you have to vote one way or another. Thanks buddy.

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time to vote glen hofstetter.

With your contribution, the poll stands at 104-23 AGAINST the SRT-10. Please tell a friend to vote!

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a repost from the closed/moved thread.

Now Michael,
I thought we weren't suppose to do any whining about the SRT over here on this side of the board. Now that you moved it, somebody is going to get upset, get this thread closed and no more poll. Anyway I don't think it will stand out as our Gen I/II cars, BUT as a S2000 look a like, it will do.
rolleyes.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Mike

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for contributing ERIC JORDAN. Your opinion definitely matters!

With your vote, the poll stands at 105-23 AGAINST the SRT-10. Please tell a friend to vote!

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thumbs up. Not as good looking as my GTS, but after the pic. Chris posted, no comparison to RT10. New car looks better. No flame intended to RT10 owners. I drove Pemberton nuts for a week trying to decide coupe or RT10, love them both. It's just the toupee top thing on the old car suddenly makes it look dated to me after seeing Cris's pic. Seems the majority of responses are from GTS owners. Would be interesting to limit a different poll to current RT10 owners. You can do anything with demographics and statistics. Coupe buyers don't like convertibles! Folks who insist on the open air probably don't want a coupe. The coupe folks responding here (including me) would have rather had the competition coupe. THAT would have been an even better poll and might have sent a bigger message to DC. Because we ain't gonna change this car, but our goal shoud be to let DC know how many coupe owners will not repeat as buyers unless a coupe is built. Hmmm..that's an even better poll. Trey, nice Job trying to quantify a subject that's caused a lot of strife on the board. Another thing I noticed is that the positve responses are picking up the longer this is up. So for accuracy I hope this stays up. I will predict if it stays up long enough it will even out to 2 to 1 against, which would be a very interesting demograpic if you accept the fact coupe buyers are the least attracted to the car, unless they can afford both, which opens another demographic! Finally, does yo Tony's vote count now that we know he's a mercedes poser? Just kiddin' Tony, 500 is awesome car! Prediction 2 Tony, will NOT sell black batmobile when the time actually comes!

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I, like some here, have sat in one. I truly like the interior. The exterior, I believe, DC has "tuned down" so they have room to make modifications in the future. I can't see the current vehicle however, lasting 10 years as the last geration did as it sits. I really hate the area just behind the front tires, too vetteish.
This is really all about change too. People won't like it and will only accept it if they have to. Would I buy it now, no.

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thumbs down here. I loved the prototype competition coupe, but its seems to have lost quite a bit when turned into the convertible.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thumbs down.

DC should have called the car something else, then we would not be arguing over this just buying a stable mate for our beloved snakes. But since DC is calling it a Viper, they are in effect making us choose which we like better. And guess what the SRT just does not cut it.

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like to thank Lee00blacksilverGTS, steveb, & Seasnake for contributing to the poll. Your voices are definitely important as is your vote!

With your contribution, the poll stands at 107-24 AGAINST the SRT-10. Please tell a friend to vote!

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT size="5">Roadster</FONT s> owner <FONT size="1">(Please...enough with the "convertible")</FONT s> voting a reluctant thumbs down.

SRT is actually starting to grow on me but &lt;insert mild barely audible whine&gt;.
baby[1].gif

I really want to love it!
crying.gif

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you atlatl & CitySnake for voting! Your voice will definitely be heard!

With your vote, the poll stands at 109-24 AGAINST the SRT-10. Please tell a friend to vote!

Hot Rod

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't think the new body style will get the attention of the GenI/II. Love my current RT/10. The performance improvements are a plus but I think I would buy the new SRT-10 only as my second Viper.

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trey...

Great thread
smile.gif
..and a great job of pulling everyone together.

No doubt about it...I like change and change makes thoughts and ideas move forward.

THUMBS UP...red one on order.

No Flame Intended...Just Observation,
CStegall

Black SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A huge thumbs up! I like this new Viper in every conceivable way. It will be the first American production car in history to reach the 200mph barrier and also break 12 sec. in the 1/4 mile. It could be rated as low as 11.7 seconds and this would be enough to beat a 550hp, all wheel drive, Lamborghini Diablo. Also, love the ragtop.

martino

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform--(or pause and reflect) Mark Twain

GTzViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I LOVE BOTH Vipers- GEN I and II equally, and I wish in a few years I could add a GEN III to my collection but unless DC makes a street coupe, that's not going to happen.
I waited until I saw the SRT in person and I would have to say it's a nice looking sports car like many others on the street today but none of them including the SRT have the "body" to deserve the VIPER name.
Nice but no VIPER. Thumbs down.

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you to cstegall for contributing to the poll. Your voice definitely counts!

With your vote, the poll stands at 109-25 AGAINST the SRT-10. Please tell a friend to vote!

Hot Rod I sent you an E-mail. Please vote definitively. I can't vote for you & couldn't determine from your post which way you wanted to go.
icon13.gif
or

icon14.gif

JeremyBlackwell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thumbs up on performance
Thumbs up on interior styling
Thumbs down on EXTERIOR styling

I do like the fact that there is now a straight up convertible (never liked the RT/10), but i think they should make the body look much more aggressive and also add a hardtop GTS to the lineup.

I haven't seen a SRT-10 in person yet...so far though i am not sold on it.

C'mon Dodge, keep the drivetrain and go back to the drawing board on the styling cues...the 2003 models will go down in history as a collector car made for one year.

About to buy another '96 GTS tomorrow (can't get enough of the coupe rear end
smile.gif
)

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Per Mr. Snakes request, a cross post:

saw it in person, liked it, didn't love it. won't buy it.

Unlike Chuck, I will never have two vipers if this is the only RT that they'll make. Too many other nice cars out there. My second viper will be a ferrari or Lambo... I can't justify buying an expensive non-exotic looking exotic...

Not that I can justify the initial Viper either.
smile.gif

Thumbs down.

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for letting your voice be heard Rick Martino, GTzViper, & 2tall! Your votes definitely mean something & will be heard!

With your contribution to the poll, the vote stands at 111-26 AGAINST the SRT-10. Please tell a friend to vote!

Status
Not open for further replies.