Oil on Spark Plug Threads

lmcgrew79

Viper Owner
Reaction score
2008 srt coupe, I was changing plugs today and the rear passenger side plug had some oil/on the threads of the spark plug. The ends of the plugs look as good as the others. Any suggestions?

1.8t

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 09 had the same thing when I changed my plugs at 5k miles. Wonder if it is just a gen IV thing? The car burns no measurable amount of oil between the 4k mile change intervals and runs like a champ.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Could there have been a small collection of oil standing in the well outside the plug that got on the threads as you removed plug ??

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could be valve guides, unsure if Gen IV's also **** in oil from the pcv system. I've got one plug in the back of engine (can't remember which cylinder) that has the same issue. I did a compression test and all the cylinders were pretty darn solid. I have not tried a leak down test yet, but the dyno shows no drop in performance.

LaViper

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I believe that's a common problem on Heads made of Aluminum & the spark was installed without being torqued properly. Always use air to blow out Area around spark plug BEFORE removing plug. Be Extremely carefull when installing new plugs, don't overtighten. Can't remember what the Torque is @ present. Sorry. ( Around 30 Lbs.Ft. ? )

OP
OP
L

lmcgrew79

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Def. not antiseize, ill get some photos, dont seem to be a big deal. It is the tightest one on the car to get to. Maybe it wasnt torqued good by someone. I torqued them all back to 13 ft lbs. that what is stated.

OP
OP
L

lmcgrew79

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Cam I would agree, looks more like a wicking of oil. Im sure it is blow by if i had to guess. PCV used to put quite a bit of oil in the intake. Ive put a catch can on since to collect it. The oil is more of a darker sludge residue. I guess short of a compression test, or leak down I wont know. Car runs fine. Just a lil worry some on my part.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cam I would agree, looks more like a wicking of oil. Im sure it is blow by if i had to guess. PCV used to put quite a bit of oil in the intake. Ive put a catch can on since to collect it. The oil is more of a darker sludge residue. I guess short of a compression test, or leak down I wont know. Car runs fine. Just a lil worry some on my part.

Common on Gen 3/4's when driven hard. Under deceleration oil moves forward in valve cover and makes its way in to make up air tube (the one that goes from the valve cover to the airbox) and into airbox. Engine ***** oil vapor with air. Catch can should definitely solve the problem. If you don't solve it then oil, which has an octane rating of like 50, will lower the overall octane of your fuel mixture. This can lead to detonation, not good.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This is pretty much normal on any engine. The first couple threads tend to have oil wick up them that accumulates as the engine runs, and does not get hot enough to burn the oil off. If the electrode is oily, that is when you have an oil control issue.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
This is pretty much normal on any engine. The first couple threads tend to have oil wick up them that accumulates as the engine runs, and does not get hot enough to burn the oil off. If the electrode is oily, that is when you have an oil control issue.

Ditto.

Also, the Gen IV PCV system really allows a bunch of oil into the intake.

Dan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456