oil questions

SBMIANO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My dealer changes my oil in my 09 in the fall before storage. This year when I asked what oil was put in my car, I always have them put mobil 1 in, they told me 5w 40... i have changed my oil 3 times already and have a total of 4,200 miles. is it necessary to put the exact weighted and kind of oil in a car that is changed every 2200 miles? oil that was in the car wasnt even dark color yet it was still that yellow color? Do I need to drain the current oil or change it in the spring to the required mobile 1?

Thanks

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no no no, wastin your money- you can leave that oil go for years if its clean boss... run a weight of 5-40 is good for street cruisin. as long as its a good synthetic oil, run whatever bran you want- just make shure its a typical brand..

Reaction score
FWIW you should use the Mobil1 0-40... but you will be fine for now just change back at the next change. I like to change it in the spring instead, but that is probably a personal thing also.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally I change my oil every fall. Right before storage for the winter. Per owners manual. Now the exception to was this year. I drove my '08 maybe 500 miles so I didn't see the need.

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My dealer tried to put 5-30 in my car when I took it them for a change. I went out and found 0-40 Mobil 1 at a parts store. This was after I told them to follow Dodge's recommendations for the car!

Viper Garage Elite

Viper Owner
Reaction score
All the reason to just do it yourself. Use dodge recommendation 0-40 and no worries.PS not to mention same with filter.

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ACR-X uses Mobil 1 15-50.....I understand that for us in warm weather - particulary hot summers its ok to use it if 0-40 is not available....

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ACR-X uses Mobil 1 15-50.....I understand that for us in warm weather - particulary hot summers its ok to use it if 0-40 is not available....
- not if you running the holy dog snot out of it...

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like to change it in the spring also. Guess it's just personal. I also use turbo diesel Mobil One.

I also use the Turbo Diesel (5W-40)..but I have a older GTS (1997) with forged pistons. I am not sure if this is a good choice for the newer models with the "smog" pistons (Hypereutectic pistons) Also, some Diesel oil is (perhaps?) not formulated for use in cars having catalytic exhaust systems.

Mr. Jorgensen is most likely correct in recommending the Mobil 1 0W-40... and I called Mobil and the rep said this is the only Mobil 1 oil they make recommended for use in my MBenz AMG as it meets MB229.5 requirements.

I found the number on the back of the Mobil1 can and it is 1-800-ASK-MOBIL

This oil is also rated for Porsche,BMW, VW and Nissan GTR

Last edited:

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For further clarification....it is NOT just the viscosity of the oils that make them suitable for variations in different engine designs and climates.....BUT different additive packages to address varying engineering compromises in piston and camshaft design ( and metalurgy).....and...of course...emissions.

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe TomF&LGoR once mentioned using Mobil 1 Diesel 15W-40 but I could not find that viscosity. I found 5W-40 Diesel at Walmart

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Would bet that the Dealer you took it to did not use Mobil 1 and the reason for the 5-40W is because Chrysler Corporation now has a contract with Shell/Pennzoil, and the synthetic many Dealers buy is the Pennzoil ( and it only comes in 5-40W ).

Just a heads up as regardless when you change it, they should put in what you requested ------whether Mobil 1 , Pennzoil, etc.

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
- not if you running the holy dog snot out of it...

From the Mobil One site "Also consider Mobil 1 15W-50 and Mobil 1 0W-40 which are for both road and track use." For hot temperatures not an issue....in fact Arrrow sent back my value covers which they modified for the oil separator with the ACR-X oil Cap Mobil 1 15W-50......but I have plenty of 0-40 in reserve so no issue for me.

LaViper

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I've always used Mobil 1 15W50 & she runs perfect. Only Wal Marts I can purchase this weight is in Florida, so I stock up when in Lake City. :2tu:

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would bet that the Dealer you took it to did not use Mobil 1 and the reason for the 5-40W is because Chrysler Corporation now has a contract with Shell/Pennzoil, and the synthetic many Dealers buy is the Pennzoil ( and it only comes in 5-40W ).
Yep, just had my oil changed at the dealer. They always put in Mobil one before but this time they put in Penzoil. Noticed oil presure readings are a little higher. Don't know if that is a cause for concern.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang