Ok Im pissed

Diablo Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive just returned from slaving 2.5 hours on a Fluidyne radiator install on my 97 GTS.It isnt gonna happen.My fan motor is hitting the sway bar.I ordered it from Roe racing and nowhere in my instructions does it say that I have to change fans to the later model one.In fact,if you look at the install instructions here,Youll notice there are two different fans in the picture but no reference that says you cannot use the old one.Now my car will be down all weekend until I can BUY a new fan that wont hit the sway bar.I wish some people had done more research so I could be better prepared.Had I known of this mod,I would have waited till I purchased the new fan.Heres a few pics from the illustrated instructions that Im talking about.
Heres fan 1-
You must be registered for see images

And then they show THIS fan-

Two Different fans.

Joe

Reaction score
I have a 1995 RT/10 at Doug Levins right now, and my new Fluidyne has to go to make room for the Intercooler and such. I don't know what I was using for a fan, but it worked great. I told Doug he could buy the stuff coming off my car if he wanted, so why not see if that's one of the items I'm parting with.

OP
OP
D

Diablo Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brad,

Thats the install page Im talking about.If you look closely at the fans pictured,there are two different ones.They dont mention going from old to new during the install,only that they had a 97 GTS with a 99 fan already(read:before the fluidyne)
My gripe is that I wasnt told that my 97 fan will not work with this radiator.I hate to see my car on jack stands and now I have to look at that until I can buy a newer fan.

Vipereus,

Ill call Doug on Monday and see what he says.Thanks for the help.

Joe
Joe

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Top fan pictured is up 1996 to 1998 GTS's the lower fan is 1999 to 2002.

The newer fan is a better fan. Moves more air and has much light rubber doors.

OP
OP
D

Diablo Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well excuse me Tony but nowhere in MY instructions does it say that this radiator requires a new fan.If it at least told me,I would have purchased the new fan <u>before</u> I started the job.All Im saying is that the illustrated instructions are misleading.I read what it said long before I started the job.I knew he upgraded to a 99 fan before I started the only thing is when I scrolled down,I see my fan,so I thought no problem.I didnt know the difference between the 2 fans was physical,all Ive read is that it draws more air.I understand that Im ranting but thats because Im pissed.I only hope that the next person doing this mod can read what happened to me and not make the same mistake.

Joe

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Joe and I just talked on the phone, where I apologized for the inconvenience and lack of information about the fan clearance.

We didn't have anything in the instructions we sent about sway bar interference. We had installed and tested two of the Fluidyne radiators, both in cars with the newer fans. The radiators worked great, but we didn't know about the sway bar interference and Joe was (unfortunately) the first to run into it (that I know of).

I'm going to test fit one in a Viper with the pre-'99 fan ASAP and work with Fluidyne to correct some of the little fitment issues so nobody goes through this again.

We're going to get him the newer fan module and send it out ASAP.
He's going to consider removing the swaybar, so it clears the fan if he wants to drive the car for the day or two in between.

Usually, we're pretty good here about fitting and testing the products that we don't make ourselves and get from other manufacturers. Apparently, we didn't spend enough time on this one.

Joe, again, I apologize for the inconvenience.

Sean

OP
OP
D

Diablo Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No problem.Id just like to go on record saying that in no way was I implying anything bad on Sean Roe's behalf.This problem with the radiator is Fluidyne's.Ive had nothing but positive experiences with Sean and am a loyal customer.He has provided me the best customer service Ive ever had.I will continue to send Roe Racing all my money so that they may satisfy my go fast crack pipe addiction.
biggrin.gif
Once again,Sean,thanks for the help.You stepped in when you didnt even have to.

Joe

Reaction score
Joe -

I have five newer fans instock. I'm four hours away from your location but you may meet me anytime this weekend (Sunday or anytime) if you need one right away. I won't profit from it, but being the terrific guy Sean is, the two of you can work out the costs.

Sean -
I went through the same situation, I had five custom fabricated radiators from a very reputable company. They never told us you couldn't use the new fan -- Yikes!

Regards,
Doug

red98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
......and THAT, folks, is why Sean and Doug are so highly respected in the Viper community.....it's called CUSTOMER SERVICE above and beyond the usual. Two GREAT vendors and people who go out of their way for customers and friends. pete the ex glass guy (and hot rodder)

OP
OP
D

Diablo Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like I mentioned before,the comraderie between Viper owners played a big role in my purchase of one.Thanks Doug,Sean is already making arangements for my fan.

Joe

OP
OP
D

Diablo Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony,
Ill snap a few pictures and send them to you to update the do-it-yourself section.Thanks for providing that service,it is very helpfull.

Joe

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My understanding is that the fans changed midyear 98. My car has the earlier fan, but other 98s ended up with the newer, better fan. I'd like to upgrade, but would like it under warranty rather than paying...unless someone has a good deal on one?

Devin 97 Blue GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just finished the Fluidyne radiator and the fan control kit from Sean Roe, (only one bolt installed and two cut away) Thanks Sean for help
See pictures below:

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I worked with Fluidyne engineers a few years ago when they were designing the piece. We tried a couple of different radiators, all with the new style fan module on a '97. Maybe that's why there's an issue. dj

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinhyVegas