Ok..remeoved rocker panals and............

ASKYOURWIFE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now I SEE THESE TWO HUGE CAT/MUFFLER LOOKING THINGS....

My cars going to the shop to have the cats removed tomorrow. but now im kinda thrwon off as to what im supposed to have straight piped.

Their are two cats on each side of the vehicle????? Do i straight pipe them both on each side. Or is one a pre muffler or pre cat????

well im lost as to whats the catalytic converter and what i actually need to straight pipe now that I see the exhaust system with the Rocker panals off

BTW..removing the rocker panals was EXTREMELY easy..Took maye 45 minutes tops, and im a guy who hates even changing tires.

So for those of you who went catless. What the hell do i tell the muffler shop to do tomorrow?

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The front one on each side is the cat; second one is a muffler. On an RT, that's all. On a GTS the pipes lead to another cross-over muffler under the rear bumper.

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The front one on each side is the cat; second one is a muffler. On an RT, that's all. On a GTS the pipes lead to another cross-over muffler under the rear bumper.

Unless its a Gen II RT/10 and then they also have the muffler at the back also.

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like Tom said above, they will take out the front one & put a piece of straight pipe. Leave the second one in. Your sills are going to be much cooler.

OP
OP
A

ASKYOURWIFE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car is a 99 rt10. It has the muffler at the back of the car right before the tail pipes....

Ok.. So the front one are the cats?????

Now when you say "front one"you mean the one thats closest to the front tires correct...

So the air is pushed from the engine...Then hits the cat..Then a pre muffler..And then another muffler right before it exits the tail pipes?????

That just seams pretty strange and a first ive ever herd of for the pre muffler..

SO IF I TELL HIM TO REMOVE THE FIRST ONE THEN I WILL BE CATLESS...

BUT WHAT IF I TELL HIM TO REMOVE THE CAT AND MUFFLER FOR ONE NICE LONG STRAIGHT PIPE???

" HOW LOUD WILL THAT BE SINCE I STILL HAVE THE MUFFLER RIGHT BEFORE THE EXITING TAIL TIPS"

Now admitedly my last c5 was 100% catless and mufflerless with straight pipes and it was so loud that I hated the car.

Will the Viper be this loud as well or since Ill still have the last muffler at the rear of the car will it sound like a Borla exhaust...

Thanks for any help

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We had the welder split the cat at the center line weld, remove the guts and weld back. No need to replace with straight pipe, use the stainless pipe you have. You will be amazed at the weight difference.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Front of car is LEFT

RANDOM is a Random Tech hi-flow cat
Muffler is to the right of the cat

1893MVC-002F.JPG

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What does the car sound like if you have high flow cats, no muffler next to the cat (have it removed), and a random tech exhaust? Anyone know? How loud is it? Right now I have the stock cats, muffler next to the cat (still stock) and a random tech exhaust.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What does the car sound like if you have high flow cats, no muffler next to the cat (have it removed), and a random tech exhaust? Anyone know?

I'll give it a shot.

vrup vrip vrup vrip vrup vrip vrup vrrWUAAAAAAAAAAHHH vrrrr vrup vrip vrup .....

(sorry, could not resist any longer)
:D

OP
OP
A

ASKYOURWIFE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WELL YOU GUYS WERE WRONG ON THE SOUND..

I went ahead and told my muffler shop to remove the cat as well as the pre muffler ( resonator) in exchange for one nice long pipe...

He assurred me that since the pre muffler (resonator was not a true muffler and basicly just a straight through disghn that the true muffler right before the tail pipes would keep the sound nice and quiet.

So he finished the welding and I started her up..

to my surprise the muffler at the end of the rt10 right before the tail pipes did a fantastic job.

REMOVING THE CATS AND PRE MUFFLER ( RESONATOR) ON A GEN 2 VIPER WILL NOT MAKE THE CAR VERY LOUD LIKE MANY PEOPLE BELEAVE..

THE GEN 2'S STILL HAVE A MUFFLER THAT YOU CAN CLEARLY SEE FROM THE REAR UNDER SIDE OF THE VEHICLE RIGHT BEFORE THE TAIL PIPES..

It actually sounds slightly louder than stock. Like a mild after market exhaust is what could best be explained..

Then apon driving the car the first thing I noticed was that the car felt MUCH MUCH MUCH smoother in first gear. before this mod first gear was almost undrivable because of all the jerkiness with the slightest touch of the pedal. but now even in first gear the power comes much smoother and is much more enjoyable to drive through all the gears...

So i get on the freeway heading towards my Dyno shop. And my butometer tells me that their is defiently some added power here. Especially in the upper rpm's..

And sure enough i was correct...

On the same dyno jet were my stock 2004 c5 dynoed 299 rwhp and 309 rwt ( and then 378 rwhp and 370 tourque with a mild heads and cam set up)

My 100% bone stock 99 rt10 dynoed 410 rwhp and 465 rwt SAE corrected..

Now like I said today I eliminated the cats and pre muffler ( resonator) and also added ROE smooth tubes yesterday...

So bone stock a few months ago...410 rwhp 465 rwt SAE on a dyno jet

Then today after eliminating cats and pre muffler as well as adding ROE smooth tubes...

428 rwhp and 473 rwt

Yes from smooth tubes and no cats/resonator I gained 18 rwhp and 8 rwt on the same dyno SAE corrected....

Well I am extremely pleased with this simple mod..

i paid 75 dollars to have the ROE sooth tubes shipped and installed them my self and was charged 200$ for my muffler shop to take off the rocker panals and weld on some straight pipes..

Total investment was 275$ and I picked up 18 rwhp!!!!!!

Then to top this all off while going home on the freeway from the dyno shop their was an acident and traffic crawled at 5 mph for over an hour..

The last time this happenned my vipers temps got very hot ( close to red) and the cabin was smoking hot inside. As well as the jerkiness of first gear really taking a toll on me.

this time the temps stayed normal and the cabin didnt feel hot at all. as well crawling at 5 mph in first gear didnt have any jerkiness and was a very pleasing ride..AND TO TOP IT OFF WHEN I GOT HOME AND TOUCHED THE SIDE SILLS THEY FELT WARM INSTEAD OF THE USUAL HOT ( EVEN AFTER BEING STUCK IN TRAFFIC

Not that id ever daily drive it. but this mod is a must if you plan too...

SO I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS MOD

-BETTER EXHAUST NOTE WHILE STILL TAME
-BETTER FIRST GEAR SMOOTHNESS
-LESS CABIN HEAT
-SIDE SILLS DONT GET HOT ENOUGH TO BURN
-MORE HIGH RPM POWER
-DYNO GAVE ME 18 MORE RWHP WITH NO CAT/RESONATOR/ROE SMOOTH TUBES

I do have ROE 02 simulators but so far in 70 miles of driving today the check engine light hasnt came on. so until it dose I wont install it.

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What does the car sound like if you have high flow cats, no muffler next to the cat (have it removed), and a random tech exhaust? Anyone know?

I'll give it a shot.

vrup vrip vrup vrip vrup vrip vrup vrrWUAAAAAAAAAAHHH vrrrr vrup vrip vrup .....

(sorry, could not resist any longer)
:D

LOL, You beat me to it! but you left out the pop-pop,,,blub blub vriup ect. :2tu:

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WELL YOU GUYS WERE WRONG ON THE SOUND..

Pockett AA was asking about HF cats, NO muffler, NO resonators and using the RT rear section which is basically like the Snake Oyl system except that the pipes "merge" ala an X pipe.

So that particular setup he was inquiring about will be LOUD

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no cats or side mufflers. Rear **** only. The sound is not bad at all. I can cruise with the windows up and resonance is only minimal. The car sounds much better, more like a performance exhaust "option". I will be putting on high flow cats soon just to pass our new inspections in Texas. I hope it doesn't get too quiet or I may have to switch to Bellanger exhaust.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96