ok, so i got a whiny tranny..

AJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the rear end noise has quiet down to the point where i dont care about it. however, in 5th and 6th gear i have significant whine from the transmission at anything above 50 or so. i dont remember my other t-56s to be like that. i have not checked the tranny fluid level (but i will this weekend), but my question is - is this normal? my car has 700 miles on it and i have been following the brake-in schedule to the t.

your input?

alex
02 gts
few other cars

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alex,I have a 2001 GTS that I purchased new that does the same thing.I was told that it would become less noticeable with time...I think that means you'll just get use to it.Since you are almost sitting over the rear I guess some whine is to be expected. Rick

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 99 had a whine from the differential at about 55 mph in fifth gear. I took it to Ken at Timberline Dodge in Portland and he ordered and installed a new differential under warranty, which solve the problem.

Jim

OP
OP
A

AJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have two distinct whines (my ears are very well tuned to mechanical noises).

one comes from the pumpkin and has almost subdued to a level where i dont care about it

the other one i am more concerned is from the transmission itself in 5th and 6th gear (the overdrive gears)

any more input?

thanx in advance

alex
02 gts
few other cars

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AJ,

I think you need a different car. The one you have seems to give you nothing but problems. Did you buy Mumford's old car?

OP
OP
A

AJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you dont understand- the tranny whines like 4.10 richmonds on a cold day on deacceleration from 80 to 50
biggrin.gif
it is not the subdued high-pitched whine of the t-56 that i am accustomed to.

i bought the car new. i am overall happy with it, but i am seeking conformation on certain things that i find not normal based on my previous hi-perf car experiences...

alex
02 gts
few other cars

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, they are noisy cars all the way around, but maybe there's a problem with yours. Is there anyone else with a 02 that you can go for a ride and see if they have the same sound?

PhilC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AJ:

My 99 ACR was not doing it when I got it but it is now. Check your differential fluid and I suspect you'll find it alot blacker than it should be. I've changed mine several times now and it's black within 1000 miles. I'm quite certain that it'll be changed for new under warranty, just haven't gotten to it yet.

Good luck.

Phil

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Could be MUCH worse:

-- Whiney Spouse
-- Whiney In-Laws
-- Whiney Parents
-- Whiney siblings
-- Whiney neigbbors