Open Trailering Car

vpr hlr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am trailering my car in an open trailer. What can I use to protect the body parts? I have seen the plastic wrap on new cars on the transports, any idea where one can get these? thanks

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
YIKES !! I would NOT open-haul with a cover on the car......there WILL be areas where the fabric buffets and abrades the car.

Does your trailer have a front faring to protect at all?

DO FOLD your mirrors in, those things collect more grasshoppers and beetles and birds than you can ever imagine.

I have towed my GTS all over the country with no more protection than a faring and good coat of wax......I cover it when parked to keep looky-loos away at night

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've towed my car long distances with blue painter's tape on the leading edges that catch the most bugs, and it's worked pretty well. I guess it depends on where you're towing, how fast you're towing, and the condition of the roads. If you're going to drive 70 mph on dirt roads in the middle of bug-infested territory with fat non-constipated birds following you, you're going to get splatted in an open trailer no matter what you do.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Towing a car on an open trailer is not much different than driving it as far as protection.

Pay special attention to protecting the towed vehicle from stones kicked up by the towing vehicle. Make sure the tow vehicle has mud flaps.

Most open trailers can be equipped with a protective nose cone that gives a ton of protection.

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
YIKES !! I would NOT open-haul with a cover on the car......there WILL be areas where the fabric buffets and abrades the car.

Does your trailer have a front faring to protect at all?

DO FOLD your mirrors in, those things collect more grasshoppers and beetles and birds than you can ever imagine.

I have towed my GTS all over the country with no more protection than a faring and good coat of wax......I cover it when parked to keep looky-loos away at night
Have 4 times now with cover tightly tied around and down. No problems or scuffing at all. Worked great.

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A fairing on the trailer makes a ton of difference! They are reasonable and easy to install! Look at teh KwikLoad trailer with that option.

PBR

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ever wonder why you see offshore trailered boats flying the road WITHOUT their covers on?
Most boat owners know the cover can damage the paint, even the Imron.
Anyone who has trailered either a boat or a car with the cover on has just been lucky if it has not happened.

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an open trailer with a front fairing that I have hauled my viper on for thousands of miles. I will agree to fold in the mirrors as they collect more than I could ever imagine.

I even ran into a snow storm going through the Rockies on the way to VOI 9. I was able to watch the snow swirls around the car and could tell there wasnt alot hitting it due to both the tow vehicle and the front fairing being the way. I do NOT cover mine due the concern of chaffing the paint.

Steve A.

OP
OP
V

vpr hlr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all your input. I have built a front cover and side protection on my trailer for now. Might do diamond plate?? Just might break down later and but an enclosed trailer .

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
A faring with mirrors folded works pretty well.

Would not put cover on while towing.

Frankster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll second what JonB said about towing with a car cover.

Don't do it.

I have the paint abrasion to prove it and I didn't get too far down the road before realizing it was happening. I towed it the rest of the way without a cover.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960