OT: Better Business Bureau

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The BBB has contacted us to become a member and I was wondering if the $400.00 a year membership is worth the listing? I completely forgotten about their organization and don't recall ever using their service. Do any of you rely upon their information or use their services? Thanks!

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am a member & I rarely get inquires from them, & I am in the Mortgage business where you would think there would be a lot. People do respond to the BBB symbol however

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not a member but, if I had a complaint I would try to resolve it. BUT there is no need to waste your money joining. They will have a file on you were your business are a member or not...... your money is better spent other places in the business world!!!

Cudaman :usa:

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I,m a member........the general puplic respects the symbol,I like to show my membership when advertising......200 bucks a year for me....dave

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have belonged in the past, not anymore. As far as I am concerned its all abunch of BS. To be worried about the 1% of people that no one can ever satisfy is not worth $400.00/year. People are funny, I decide what is fair. Remember the Golden Rule...The customer is always the customer.

99GTSACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Rip Off. It cost nothing, $0, nota to list your company information with the BBB. I'm listed and have never paid a dime.

The member cost is the $400 which is a rip.

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ironic you ask. I called the BBB for the 1st time in my life last week. I was buying a piece of art from a broker and wanted to make sure they were legit. After hearing from them, I did buy the piece.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Larry. I had a BBB membership for a couple of years (no longer a member). Basically it doesn't get you anything to be a member. From what I recall you can NOT advertise the BBB logo (that your a member) you just get this little plaque to hang on the wall. The BBB will open a file on you if there is a complaint. But you can voluntarily ask them to put you in their database for free, so when someone calls the BBB they can pull up your business (good idea). The $400 seems kind of high, I think I paid $100 year for the basic support level.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BBB is better suited for commercial businesses that deal with the general public. (plumbers, dentist, realestate etc.) For a speciality company like yours, don't think you will get much benefit out of it.
Better to spend the $$ supporting this board.

PS. Thanks for the carpet kit. It looks fantastic. You are a stand up guy, and you get my approval. Don't care what the BBB says.

OP
OP
L

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually posted this while the gentleman was giving me his sales pitch. He hooked me by stating that he had a few people inquire about us and they didn't have any information in their database, so I thought he was on the level until he noticed the shirt I was wearing. A friend/client of mine races stockers locally and his team is named "It's A Hoot Racing" with an owl and the number 57. Apparently this gent cold called my friend as well and found out he wasn't a business, but yet a hobby racing team.

The initial yearly dues add up to $385 for the first year and $25 a month the years after. I would rather give the money to Dr. Roof and support the V10 Nationals.

Thank you all for the input since I value your opinions! If anyone has any ideas or thoughts on how to make our business better to serve you, please feel free to let us know. Thanks again!

OP
OP
L

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BBB is better suited for commercial businesses that deal with the general public. (plumbers, dentist, realestate etc.) For a speciality company like yours, don't think you will get much benefit out of it.
Better to spend the $$ supporting this board.

PS. Thanks for the carpet kit. It looks fantastic. You are a stand up guy, and you get my approval. Don't care what the BBB says.

Thank you, Mr. Hawker! All the kudos should go to Mr. Bill McClure though since he graciously gave the SRT/10 trunk mat kit away. Thank you, Bill, and congrats to Mr. Hawker!

I'd like to think that all of our past and present clients are happy with their purchases and the services we've provided. All we truly care about is giving people what they pay for, that's the bottom line.

OP
OP
L

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Larry. I had a BBB membership for a couple of years (no longer a member). Basically it doesn't get you anything to be a member. From what I recall you can NOT advertise the BBB logo (that your a member) you just get this little plaque to hang on the wall. The BBB will open a file on you if there is a complaint. But you can voluntarily ask them to put you in their database for free, so when someone calls the BBB they can pull up your business (good idea). The $400 seems kind of high, I think I paid $100 year for the basic support level.

Hello Mike! I about fell out of my chair when he gave me the 1st year membership cost. I was thinking more along the lines of $100 per year as well. For a $100 a year I could join the VCA and at least have a great time for my money... If I had a Viper of course :)

Ready to TT?

LTHL-GRY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bear in mind that the BBB is a privately owned, for-profit business, NOT a government entity, and is operated like any other greedy franchise...

The catch is that 100% of their funding and income is derived from the *dues* that the very businesses they seek to "regulate", pay. Entreprenour Magazine regularly prints reports on BBB abuses of small businesses and their latest scare tactics.

As a BBB member, you can advertise the BBB "Care" logo... At an additional cost, amongst other important concessions like agreeing to arbitration/mediation, etc.

I tell the BBB *salesman* that if they've had an "inquiry" they must refer it to my office, the state or city/county government, or the local trade association.

They will also try the tactic of "Well, we'll just have to say you refused to respond". Tell them that if any information not approved by you is given out, they will have a serious legal problem. They will back right down.

Check what they are saying about you by making blind inquiries. In a sternly worded certified letter, insist that any inaccurate info be corrected immediatley. Follow up on any inaction with another letter cc'd to your atty, the federal trade commision, the state prosecutor, the city council, etc., etc., etc.

Its just like dealing with the credit bureaus.

DChan415

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually posted this while the gentleman was giving me his sales pitch. He hooked me by stating that he had a few people inquire about us and they didn't have any information in their database, so I thought he was on the level until he noticed the shirt I was wearing. A friend/client of mine races stockers locally and his team is named "It's A Hoot Racing" with an owl and the number 57. Apparently this gent cold called my friend as well and found out he wasn't a business, but yet a hobby racing team.

The initial yearly dues add up to $385 for the first year and $25 a month the years after. I would rather give the money to Dr. Roof and support the V10 Nationals.

Thank you all for the input since I value your opinions! If anyone has any ideas or thoughts on how to make our business better to serve you, please feel free to let us know. Thanks again!

I got the same sales pitch a while back. I declined as well.

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For a $100 a year I could join the VCA and at least have a great time for my money... If I had a Viper of course :)

If you had a Viper ....

LOL...Larry you have so many Vipers in you garage....

even Chuck Babel is envious!

Cudaman :usa:

fuelman

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
You don't need to join, I already reported your company to them for
under-charging for great quality work and superior customer service.

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I joined a year ago and still feel it's worthwhile for my business (mortgage). I have a small company and we do get a lot of questions from people who have never heard of us.

The biggest reason to join for me was the BBB arbitration form that I have all customers sign. Just basically says that if a customer gets upset they have to go to arbitration. The courts around here have bound people to this. I figure if it saves me from going to court to defend a frivolous lawsuit once every 10 years I will break even.

I doubt this would be important for a tuner.

Only thing that peeves me about the BBB around here, is they have had some cheesy salesmen pimping their yellow pages and newspaper ads. Thought I was going to kick a guys a$$ a while back.

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BBB means nothing to me but some guys take it seriously. Most unhappy customers just keep their problems to themselves.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery