paint issues--please help

NastyGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Kris-

Keep your head up; SRT made it right with the issues I had. I would never have received this treatment from GM. They will make it right.
Thanks for the help on whom to contact

Keep us posted

Hemotoxic

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car was flatbeded to a new dealership (Glen Thomas Dodge) and was met there by te SoCal viper president, Lance. They are working to fix all issues and after speaking the service manager, Lance, and the Chrysler customer car advocate I am confident they will work it all out with as least paint work as possible. At this point I am waiting. Cool thing is I got a dodge journey as a rental its a half mini van half SUV, I believe they call those a cross over???
maybe a hermaphrodite?

Good to see you're getting everything fixed. It helps to have a board to get attention. When the clutch in my Vette went out at 13k miles, the community raised a mild ruckus, and probably due to some string-pulling by one of the customer service reps on the board, GM hooked me up at no charge "since you're such a good customer." Okay, even though that's the only GM anything I've ever had. The loaner was a Tahoe; great ride but I sure got tired of paying for the gas.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
maybe a hermaphrodite?

Good to see you're getting everything fixed. It helps to have a board to get attention. When the clutch in my Vette went out at 13k miles, the community raised a mild ruckus, and probably due to some string-pulling by one of the customer service reps on the board, GM hooked me up at no charge "since you're such a good customer." Okay, even though that's the only GM anything I've ever had. The loaner was a Tahoe; great ride but I sure got tired of paying for the gas.

God bless social media... It helps bend ears when traditional means can't! (And thanks for the VCA for stepping up and helping kris!)

99sh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This would've been a better story if Chrysler took ownership of the issue and repaired the defects from the beginning. Good to see forum influence and the community help you thru, but I certainly hope this isn't the norm to seek warranty claims from SRT.

OP
OP
K

KB Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
tomorrow will be 21 days of my car at the dealership. unless there is another delay they should finally have all the parts tomorrow.

LouN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow,
Sorry to hear you are having these issues. I am not surprised by the lack of help you are receiving from Chysler. Obviously correcting
this is in the proper manner is too expensive a proposition. I can go on forever about the lack of ethics and professionalism this represents, but I won't. I'm not sure what the lemon laws are in your state, but it sounds like it might be time to get a good attorney, and bite the bullet. They can buy another launch edition from another dealer and replace yours, or give you a full refund.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kris,

Sorry to hear. Id look into lemon laws if I were you. 30 days is the magic number in CA.

• Manufacturers are allowed a "reasonable" number of repair attempts before a car is branded a lemon. This is generally defined as four attempts, but in the case of potentially life-threatening problems, such as faulty brakes, they get only two tries. Also, if the vehicle has been in the shop for more than 30 days (not necessarily in a row) and is still not fixed you're entitled to seek a replacement or refund.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually from the sound of it, it sounds less of an issue of professionalism and ethics and perhaps more parts availability. I think a lot of people have been stepping up to the plate to get this taken care of, within the VCA, at SRT and at the dealer he is at now. This is a new low-volume car, very hard to get spare parts (but harder than it should be, clearly).

Kris, that just *****. This is a little like the dilemma that ViperSmith, myself and others went through on the delay to receive our custom orders. I nearly cancelled several times, but in the end loved the car enough to stick it out. As Harold said, you could bail and start fresh with a new Viper if this has left a bad taste in your mouth. I hope things get resolved quickly so you can have Brutus back on the road soon.

Capt Van

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lemon law it. I have had to do it twice, and won both Vettes. I did not use a lawyer, the state attorney was big help.

OP
OP
K

KB Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree with venom v the SoCal Viper club president and Glen Thomas Dodge have done everything they could to help me and I'm not even disappointed with the car I know stuff like this happens. I am disappointed in the top level management, this is the third time my car has been at a dealership totaling 32 days today for the same issues and why they don't give the ok to pull the parts off the assembly line is crazy. If you go to auto trader there are 4 used gen v's for sale and 360+ new gen v's for sale. Why they can't pull the parts from a car going to sit on another dealership lot instead of making me wait is crazy.

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it's because nobody can figure what on earth is ongoing with SRT and they seem liking to keep it that way!

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree with venom v the SoCal Viper club president and Glen Thomas Dodge have done everything they could to help me and I'm not even disappointed with the car I know stuff like this happens. I am disappointed in the top level management, this is the third time my car has been at a dealership totaling 32 days today for the same issues and why they don't give the ok to pull the parts off the assembly line is crazy. If you go to auto trader there are 4 used gen v's for sale and 360+ new gen v's for sale. Why they can't pull the parts from a car going to sit on another dealership lot instead of making me wait is crazy.
You have the patience of a saint.

Hemotoxic

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, that's boolsheet. We have LE 56/150 at my nearest dealer; see if they'll swap you. I went to take more pictures of it yesterday--needed some inspiration to go on after a crummy week in court--and if one like it were mine, I couldn't bear to be parted from it that long. Hope you get satisfaction extremely soon.

7TH_SIGN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey man I've been in this situation. However it was a cheap $25k Toyota I bought new from the dealership. Very frustrating.

Lemon law is you best outcome to this. There is absolutely no reason why your $150k new vehicle should be repainted and devalued when it wasn't your fault.

My experience with the lemon law process was fast and pain free. The dealership and I sat down with an arbitrator. They said their side of the story, and I said mine. Within 15 min. The arbitrator found the dealership and Toyota at fault and ordered them to provide me a brand new replacement. Dealership ordered the vehicle and I picked it up.

Best of luck and sorry you have to be going through this.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And to note, lemon law doesn't mean they take the car either. It can get you a free extended warranty, etc. It isn't always "The car is revoked"

Vipermann1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kristopher, First, sorry to hear about the quality issues with your vehicle. We actually met the day you brought your car over to Dan Cragin's shop (SPT in Alhambra). You had your girlfriend with you. And you were speaking with Dan about the door fix. Thanks for the tour of your car. Let me say you have a beautiful car. To see the Gen 5 in person was a great experience. (I had my Red RT/10 in for service). I can't believe it's been over a month and the issue still has not been resolved. I agree, do not repaint the door, this is a factory defect with the structure of the car and will greatly effect resale value. My best wishes for your quick resolution with Dodge. ** I can recommend a great Lemon Law attorney who handled my case a few years back. Let me know, either PM me or get my number from Dan. And I will connect you to him ** My recommendation is to have Dodge take the car back. PERIOD.

VIPER 93

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Agree, I'm in SoCal and had a lawer out San Diego win
my case against Toyota. First year Tundra with major brake
issues.

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I went to go look at a red gen v at my dealer, and on the right front side of the hood you can see a long 4 inch crease in the paint. It stuck out like a sore thumb,and I was like Dayumm..

OP
OP
K

KB Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Kris.

Sorry to hear you are having these problems, but it sounds like you are well on your way to a solution.

Glen Thomas is a fantastic dealership, and has made a committment to servicing our Vipers. In addition, please take Dan Cragin up on his offer to put a set of tremendously talented and experienced eyes on this issue. Dan is one of the most experienced Viper tech on the planet. He has a fantastic paint and body guy that has worked magic on Vipers over the years. If you here the name "Ole" you have scored big time.

The Club has a great relationship with SRT and Chrysler and working together should be able to get this issue behind you.

I saw a door like this once before and it was caused by a delivery driver climbing out through the window of a partially open door. His trailer could not allow the door to fully open and he had put his total weight on the opened door crawling out. If this is the case, then it may have come out of the factory totally proper, but got damaged before delivery to you.

Thanks for keeping everybody (and I mean everybody) up to date on your experience on this issue.

I went up to glenn Thomas to see car on saturday and they realigned door but after opening it a couple times more paint transfer. the service manager said the drivers door lip was longer than passenger door lip sothis was not a case of delivery driver bending door climbing out of the window. car is still waiting on a module that will turn air bag light off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper