Partsrack customer service rude.

Reaction score
Everyone can say what they wish but I LIKE JON AND THINK HE IS GREAT FOR THE VIPER COMMUNITY!!!!!!!!

I think he is very interesting to talk Vipers with. I sometimes feel guilty that he has spent too much time answering my questions for my small orders.

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All I have to say is, Chuck Tator is the man! I have e-mailed him a questionn or two that was CLEARLY not sale related. I was shocked when he asked me to give him a call and he would help. He is such a friendly and helpful guy. Thats where my money will be going.

charlesj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hmm... rude customer service? mine wasn't, though i have read plenty of people that have indicated otherwise. after researching on this site, i knew what to expect before i called partsrack = 1.) good prices; 2.) very knowledgeable; 3.) short-staffed so have your **** together when you call. in the end, what's more important... getting to talk to one of the most knowledgeable viper dudes out there and getting parts at good prices with abrupt service - or - getting warm & fuzzy carebear service with so-so prices & knowledge.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
JonB is an invaluable resource for the Viper community. Don't expect a small business owner to kiss your ass and make pillow talk. He needs to make a living, and low volume sales like you get from the Viper Nation isn't exactly lucrative. I won't call him and linger on the phone with idle chit chat, because I respect the guys' time. I get all my questions answered when I call. But I don't call abusively and waste his time. That distinction should be easy enough to understand and accept. If Jon wasted all his time on window shoppers who benefit from his expertise, but then go and buy elsewhere, he would have to close down. Thats the simple reality of owning a small business. He doesn't sell cars to mitigate costs and allow him the luxury of chatting. One time he went out of his way to clarify an order I placed in error unwittingly, by calling me and explaining what it was all about, walked me through my options, and protected me from losing money and time. He won't steer you wrong. Just don't expect him to hold your hand and go for a walk. If you need that kid-glove treatment, call your mom!

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have dealt with Jon many times, in fact I don't buy anywhere else. He will gladly give you his time and vast knowledge if he has the time. At times I have been on the phone with him for more than 30 minutes. He has helped me more than ANYONE since I have owned my Viper. I think you have treated him harshly with your comments.
If you have an issue with Jon you should tell him, hey man what's the problem here, not come on a public forum and bad mouth him over a few bolts. The story is really so petty it is not worth talking about.

womsterr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had the same experience with Partsrack. Won't do it again. I'm sure ALL the people on this thread saying the same thing are truly unreasonable and they are all wrong ;)

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would go to Chuck Tator, 914-763-3136. I am one of Chucks' biggest advocates. He is friendly, courteous and gives a discount to VCA members. He'll probably tell you to use the stock exhaust maifold gasket, because they work just as well. Standard 5/16 header bolts can be had at any speed shop. :2tu:

Same here. Chuck is great. I had the same experience with Parts Rack. Just one work reponses if I ever got one and most often no responses at all. I gave up long ago. Chuck is the man!

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did not see this thread until now (so sorry for the late reply)

I have delt with Jon B many times and have never got this "rudeness" actually I want to get "rude Jon" because im curious as to what it sounds like lol.

All kidding aside tho Jon knows his **** and he has ALWAYS done right by me.

Jon if you happen to read this thread again next time I order you can tell me to go f|_|ck myself for all I care as long as you give me the great advice and price (AND fast shipping for that matter) that im used too lol

Tony

Very happy partsrack customer.

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've done bus with JonB and has all been fair.I also can see him being Rude,SO.He still won't rip ya.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon B is abrasive and direct, if he is on the other line he will tell you and he expects you to be a man about it. Either wait for a minute while he earns his living or call back later or give him your # and he will call you back. Those of you who interpret this as rudeness should get out a little and STOP watching Oprah or Dr. Phil or whatever you do to develop your overly sensitive thin skinned delicate selves. If he wanted to be rude to you, he could but this guy lives, eats, sleeps, sh*&^%s VIPERS.

Chuck Tator is also GREAT, you can't go wrong calling Chuck either.

I have dealt with both of these guys, and both of them would bend over backwards to help you.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Essay question 101: Compare and Contrast John B and Bill P.

Wait, no that wouldn't be fair. Idle chit chat with Bill is fun (Nebraska style?) and not fun with John (Brooklyn style?) It's not like talking to the peach stand lady in Georgia.....you must understand his style, or shop elsewhere.

Suggestion? John should teach others what he knows (I know, difficult) and let them answer the phones!

GTS Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
QUOTE "we do get frazzled on MONDAYS (like today) and can be short with some known time-wasters. But we reserve the right to withold service from time-wasters, and give it to our valued customers. "

"time-wasters" = possible customers you will never know!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
QUOTE "we do get frazzled on MONDAYS (like today) and can be short with some known time-wasters. But we reserve the right to withold service from time-wasters, and give it to our valued customers. "

"time-wasters" = possible customers you will never know!

Please re-read: "Known Time Wasters.." 3-4 calls or 10-50 (!) emails without becoming a customer = low priority, only when we are FRAZZLED. So he got his little non-buyer feelers hurt. Waaaaah. We dont reject business! We just cannot help 50 folks on a Monday. Fact. Sorry, all soup-kitchen seats are taken .

We spend many hours each week giving free and ACCURATE advise on tech, used cars, and to newbee owners. I really enjoy it: Its the MOST FUN I have in the office. But NOT ON MONDAYS! Our paying customers drive, cruise-In, show, auto-X, race, and BREAK THINGS on Fri-Sat-Sun. (me too!) They NEED us on Mondays. We have 150-emails and 20+ phone messages when we come in the door. We move mach-2 for 12+ hours. No time for chat, esp from KNOWN time-wasters (bless their little whiney hearts.)

Another new whiner above does not even own a Viper, and has never been a customer....he must hang here for entertainment. Glad HE has the time. BYE!

I honestly LOVE chatting about VIPERS, and left a great 30+ year career to do this...... We have to be content with 90+% customer approval I guess. I do regret being brusk, sometimes even w/ some of my "FAVORITE" and frequent customers. Time keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping.....

CHUCK B: You are an up-front, straight-shooter guy. (like me?) No complaints from ME...I just wish I could solve your disappointment here.

PS PartsRack is also an occasional customer of Tator Dodge, and we recommend and often refer ChuckT for some specific East-Coast needs. GREAT VIPER ASSET. (We just carry more stuff, like wheels, tires, used parts, perforamance, etc. ) And on some occasions we even get to sell something to Chuck!

Respectfully, JonB

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think everyone is missing the point here, knowone is looking to get their hand held or get babied. Just treated with respect and courtesy no matter what the order size or volume. I don't doubt Jon knows his stuff and is a big contributor to the viper family.

Personally I don't care, if he is not going to treat me or my wife with respect when we call and order something.

That is the great thing about America, we can take our business else where.

Simply treating people nicely is not that hard to do!

Just because one person was treated great by a vendor does not mean everyone was or is. Example, I bought heads, headers, front fascia and Cam from Scott at Elite. Each and everytime he was very pleasant to deal with and delivered what was promised quickly. Did everyone have this experience NO!

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who cares whether he is nice or not? You are getting a good deal. I haven't bought from him (yet), but I am sure I will. He has the parts you need, and at a reasonable price. Grow up people, and stop whining like little b!tches.

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS PartsRack is also an occasional customer of Tator Dodge, and we recommend and often refer ChuckT for some specific East-Coast needs. GREAT VIPER ASSET. (We just carry more stuff, and 'sometimes' we can sell for less, not having the overhead.) And on some occasions we even get to sell something to Chuck!

Respectfully, JonB

[/QUOTE]

Nice self promotion at the expense of Chuck!! I don't think you wan't to go there, his customer base is a hell of a lot loyal than yours. He gives courteous advise even to us Free loaders. :rolleyes:

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John has been very helpful whenever I call..Seems to know A whole lot about Vipers. Bought 4 new pilots at a good price from him and were here the next day..Al... :laugh: :laugh:

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<<<Thats Jon B at his finest... Its why I no longer buy anything from him.>>>

same here

OP
OP
G

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are two sides...... Please suffice to say that we make our entire living in the VIPER COMMUNITY only, sponsoring, giving back, and TRYING to do right by 98% of our callers. We have not built this business by being rude...we do get frazzled on MONDAYS (like today) and can be short with some known time-wasters. But we reserve the right to withold service from time-wasters, and give it to our valued customers.

Ok first let me start off by saying you have the worst idea of how a business should be ran ever. Period. You reserve the right to withold service from time-waster? Who are you to say who is a time-waster and who is not. Not everyone who owns a viper is "loaded" and is ready to buy on demand. Some of us need to PRICE THINGS and SAVE UP FOR THEM. which brings me to answer your #1 comment.

1) I quoted this guy tires, wheels, headers, and more earlier....he buys elsewhere and wants me to service that sale. I actually told the Emailer that if the used headers were indeed sold by PartsRack originally as he claimed, the gaskets could be FREE from us! (He did not reply..the offer is open)

WRONG, try again. I bought elsewhere? no. I have been saving up for the 505A CCW wheels and belanger headers. I came across a local add for some used headers and i picked them up. FACT, you just lost the sale on the wheels when you were my #1 choice. WHY? beacause you didn't have the time of day to help me with a simple order... which in the long run just lost you a larger order. And in the very long run, several orders. You are not in a position to say who is and who is not a "time-waster" People save up and then they buy. Some people like to shop around and spend their money wisely. You are not willing to help those "time-wasters" so you are basically losing out on a LARGE % of income yourself.

2) When callers ask for advise and quotes multiple times and buy NOTHING...we reserve the right to stop wasting our time away from our true, valued customers, some of whom kindly chimed in above. (I deeply appreciate that.)

People are not allowed to price things? Does everyone that walks into best buy, buy something? NO. They want to look around, see whats out there, get prices.. save and then come back and buy. If you go into best buy and are pricing a Plasma TV, and tell the salesmen your not looking to buy today... and the salemen says well im not "wasting my time with you". You just lost that sale, and the customer will be going to circuit city. Short run is good for you, dont have to "waste your time" ... long run = you just lost some good money.

3) Anyone who does not have the guts to put their true name in their profile should not earn your belief that they are even legit 'customers'. Shills? Bashing for self-entertainment? (gotaviper is known, thanks.)

Is it really good for your business to bash people on the forums? Do you really think that makes you look good at all? The "guts" to put their true name in their profile? Who are you to say what they should do with their profile or their name. You need to treat every person that calls you as a potential customer. That is the only way a business will maximize its profits. If you cant handle the load, hire someone to answer all the stupid questions. All those stupid questions that you brush off and put aside, are losing you 1,000$'s in the long run. Its your business , If you want to limit your customers to people who can only buy asap, so be it. Your loss.

4) FACT: One 'constant complainer' above drizzled crocodile tears all over me while I wrote and re-wrote his elaborate (and free) "diminished value" appraisal to yield him THOU$AND$ vs his insurance. His last $350 order he complimented the $50 discount I volunteered, that he did not even ask for. Now he is Anti-JonB due to some disagreement. I eventually joined a short list of vendors who don't want or need his unreasonable business anyway.

You are not going to have 100% perfect customers. You are also going to have people like me posting my comments about vendors if they treat me rudely. People are going to share their expereiences with other Viper owners so you might want to do yourself a favor and treat them all with respect. If you dont have time to answer a question, put it off for a few days and then get back to them. Dont make smart, short, rude comments to get rid of them. Your getting rid of $1,000's in your bank account by doing so.

5) I have little patience for NON-CUSTOMERS needing free advice so they can be better informed to buy on eBay-of-fencing-operations. We even invite and DO help our customers and newbees with LOTS of tech support...but not Repeat freeloaders.

Then you have little patience for PROFIT. I used to work at circuit city, selling car radios. I helped every single customer as a potential buyer. Even if they were in there for free advice, and were going to end up buying on ebay. Bottom line is, when they receive great customer service, they keep coming back, that and they also refer their friends to come in and speak with me personally. You will get more sales in the long run, but you have to put up with free loaders. Those free loaders MAY cause you more business, they may not. But if you dismiss them all, your are dismissing all potential business.

6) We appreciate your BUSINESS. We share your Viper passion. We are ALWAYS an advocate for our customers with the manufacturers. We honestly solve the rare manufacturer-supplier problems that occur. But we wont kiss backsides, and we sometimes slowly apply a "fairness" test to ~5% of callers / mailers who repeatedly pick our brains for info and seldom if ever become customers. When the scale tips to one side, NO SOUP FOR YOU is a fair, logical response.

If you are that busy, hire help. The hired help will pay for itself, it will help you NOT LOSE customers. You just lost my sale on CCW wheels/tires. That could of paid your hired help for 2 weeks.

I felt i was treated rudely in the email, so I posted it publicly. If you don't want that happen in the future, don't treat your customers like that.

You had the nerve to say I purchased elsewhere and am freeloading you, when I was saving up to BUY FROM YOU. Vipers are coming down in price, especially GEN 1s for under 30 grand now. Your going to have to get used to the fact that Younger guys are going to be affoarding them now, and these younger guys are not loaded. They will SAVE for their purchases, and they will call alot. and annoy the hell out of you. You gotta deal with it, beacuse they will still buy, just not on the drop of a ball.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Firts I'd like to say, I've done a little business with Jon (I think I bought some brake pads) and no complaints at all!

But I find this thread quite amusing in the sense, you get what you pay for.
Let me explain.
I gather from what Jon is saying, because he is swamped with calls and emails and does not have the desire to increase his staff to handle these requests (whatever they may be). He has chosen to more or less pick and choose who he wants to do business with.
I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with his business practices, but a low overhead does allow one to typically sell at a lower price (which is more important to some). It also leaves less time for Jon, therefore he has to manage his time, well.......his way. If that means hanging up on someone that is not going to buy something, well that's up to Jon. Lowest prices don't always come with the extra's some expect. I don't think that makes PartsRack a bad place to do business at all.

I personally like to do business where they make me feel good about doing business and I'm prepared to pay a little extra for that. I guess I like the attention (after all I do drive a Viper). I like to know that if I have a question, I can feel that I have paid for that right. And more often than not, that is exactly what I get.
I too own a business therefore I know what it is like to have people calling and asking questions about something they are buying elsewhere. I personally wouldn't do that unless I have no other resource. I don't like wasting anyones time.
But some do like to chit chat and I do give them the time and I try to be polite. There is a cost attached to that.

Simply put, there are different business practices out there. Pick the one you like the best and save that smack.

GotA350ZTT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Firts I'd like to say, I've done a little business with Jon (I think I bought some brake pads) and no complaints at all!

But I find this thread quite amusing in the sense, you get what you pay for.
Let me explain.
I gather from what Jon is saying, because he is swamped with calls and emails and does not have the desire to increase his staff to handle these requests (whatever they may be). He has chosen to more or less pick and choose who he wants to do business with.
I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with his business practices, but a low overhead does allow one to typically sell at a lower price (which is more important to some). It also leaves less time for Jon, therefore he has to manage his time, well.......his way. If that means hanging up on someone that is not going to buy something, well that's up to Jon. Lowest prices don't always come with the extra's some expect. I don't think that makes PartsRack a bad place to do business at all.

I personally like to do business where they make me feel good about doing business and I'm prepared to pay a little extra for that. I guess I like the attention (after all I do drive a Viper). I like to know that if I have a question, I can feel that I have paid for that right. And more often than not, that is exactly what I get.
I too own a business therefore I know what it is like to have people calling and asking questions about something they are buying elsewhere. I personally wouldn't do that unless I have no other resource. I don't like wasting anyones time.
But some do like to chit chat and I do give them the time and I try to be polite. There is a cost attached to that.

Simply put, there are different business practices out there. Pick the one you like the best and save that smack.

After reading GotAViper's response, I thought that basically what you are saying is the best GOOD response John could say. I also own a business along these same lines, so I'm with you. BUT at the same time I see it this way (and this of course depends if there is a constant demand for the business as it seems there is):

If he hires help it will increase the overhead. But it should also increase the volume, which of course increases the net profit. That increase in profit should AT LEAST cover the additional overhead (and of course the hopes are that it would do that and more...and of course this again is based on the fact that there is demand). So in the end you have at least the same amount of profit coming in, but with less stress on John and happier customers (which = more word of mouth).

Just my 2 cents.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After reading GotAViper's response, I thought that basically what you are saying is the best GOOD response John could say. I also own a business along these same lines, so I'm with you. BUT at the same time I see it this way (and this of course depends if there is a constant demand for the business as it seems there is):

If he hires help it will increase the overhead. But it should also increase the volume, which of course increases the net profit. That increase in profit should AT LEAST cover the additional overhead (and of course the hopes are that it would do that and more...and of course this again is based on the fact that there is demand). So in the end you have at least the same amount of profit coming in, but with less stress on John and happier customers (which = more word of mouth).

Just my 2 cents.

I agree with you and your theory, infact I practice it. However I somehow get the impression that Jon does not need the extra business. Therefore why grow it.

Also my comments weren't directed towards GotAViper, because he is fully entitled to feel the way he wants. Just like Jon is entitle to treat his customers however he wants.

Personally I see it simply as "do business where you want and run your business however you want". It's all up to you!

Now the smack I'm refering too is comments like Anoconda calling people who don't want to do business with Jon, a bunch of B!tches! What's up with that? He hasn't even done any business with Partsrack. :confused:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I like the balance of debate here. (And since ChuckT does not carry or offer lots of stuff like wheels, tires, used parts, etc, I'm not sniping.)

Too bad gotaviper took this petty complaint here FIRST.

I offred free gaskets to him seconds-moments after his mail, as he noted at the end of his mail that the used Belanger was sold originally by PartsRack. This was NOT intended rudeness! It was simply NO TIME AT THAT MOMENT to quote gaskets to a caller who had put me thru several no-sales.

I have NO PROBLEM helping gotaviper (or anyone else) again and again and again. But in a list of 150 mails on a MONDAY, my short, polite, "sorry, no thanks" to his mail with yet ANOTHER quote (not an order) for gasket options was the best I could do. ESP since he has only unfilled quotes in his file. Like all you guys said: Go Cheap and local on these. I cannot save him $$, so he WONT want or need to buy bolts here...

This is my 'retirement career' and I don't intend to screw it up by hiring sales staff ..... And the ideosyncracies of Vipers year-by-year is aquired, not taught. THE YEAR MATTERS. Hired packers / shippers, and accounting is all I can stand to supervise. Maybe I need to take a week off and de-compress. Yeah, thats it! I'll take my 1st vacation since June 1999 (VOIs are work!)

When I go on vacation, please use CHUCK TATOR or DAN CRAGIN or SEAN ROE or ARCHER RACING or the other VCA Vendor Supporters/Sponsors who earn and deserve your business. Or wait til I get back and we can check the SOUP MENU. Ill need to make up for a week off, so maybe Ill have a RUDE SALE. Take an extra 2% off for every mean thing I say. Sale Prices NOT Valid Mondays !

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now the smack I'm refering too is comments like Anoconda calling people who don't want to do business with Jon, a bunch of B!tches! What's up with that? He hasn't even done any business with Partsrack. :confused:

I would do business with him, if I could buy something from him. I will do business with him when I need something that he has. So far for my car, I have bought stuff that he doesn't supply (VEC2, side sill insulation, etc.). When I need/want something that he sells, I will buy from him. Why? Because the price is right. I don't let little stuff like whether he is rude or not bother me, like some of you people. When I buy my headers, I will see what he can do.

Maybe he was rude to you, maybe not. Was it intentional? I don't know (or care). All I know is that he has good deals, and that is what I care about. Life is too short to go around with your ******* in a bunch, just because someone didn't kiss your ass on the telephone, while you were trying to save a few bucks on Viper parts, which you most likely don't even need.

Viper23

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow! I got an idea. With all the responses that Jon B has posted within the last day. I would suggest that should you have a question or concern, let him know on TUESDAY, cause he seems as tho he has more time...

:2tu:

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Younger guys buying Vipers is not a bad thing. Younger, clueless guys buying Vipers is a bad thing and there seems to be an epidemic. If you are seriously comparing the business of Partsrack to Best Buy, and claiming that a sales staff could be compensated (plus benefits, etc) for 2 weeks from the PROFIT (key word, by the way) from the sale of a set of tires/wheels ,you need more help than anyone on this board can give you. I used to think that a driving test should be required of anyone buying a Viper. I am beginning to think an IQ test should be thrown in as well. Jon: take that vacation. GOTAVIPER: GETALIFE.

Brian 95 RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GotAViper - there is a huge difference when you work for someone and have your own business in terms of customer service. Yes, you should give everyone great customer service as much as possible, but some people no matter what you do for them will always be a pain in the a$$ (and they are not worth dealing with). You'll find you can actually make more money by doing business with only certain customers - ones that appreciate your goods/services, are loyal buyers, and refer other people to you. Successful small business owners know this. When you work for someone, you HAVE TO be nice to everyone, or you get fired!

OP
OP
G

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Younger guys buying Vipers is not a bad thing. Younger, clueless guys buying Vipers is a bad thing and there seems to be an epidemic. If you are seriously comparing the business of Partsrack to Best Buy, and claiming that a sales staff could be compensated (plus benefits, etc) for 2 weeks from the PROFIT (key word, by the way) from the sale of a set of tires/wheels ,you need more help than anyone on this board can give you. I used to think that a driving test should be required of anyone buying a Viper. I am beginning to think an IQ test should be thrown in as well. Jon: take that vacation. GOTAVIPER: GETALIFE.

Ok there was no need to start any flaming but so be it.

Yes i am comparing partsrack to best buy. Business is business. Without good customer service you lose sales.

Example A... He lost my sale and future sales, AND apparantly YOU cannot read, because IF you could, you would notice the 1/2 dozen other responses on this thread alone with people sharing simliar experiences as I and refusing to continue buisness with them.

Selling a set of wheels of course is not going to pay someones salaray for a 2 weeks, hence its called sarcasm. Which you clearly cannot compute in your head.

I am young and you somehow perceive me as being clueless? and needing an IQ test because I received a bad attitude from a vendor and posted about it? explaining how i think thats bad customer service?

you get a life. You are flaming on the internet.. need i say anymore?

OP
OP
G

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GotAViper - there is a huge difference when you work for someone and have your own business in terms of customer service. Yes, you should give everyone great customer service as much as possible, but some people no matter what you do for them will always be a pain in the a$$ (and they are not worth dealing with). You'll find you can actually make more money by doing business with only certain customers - ones that appreciate your goods/services, are loyal buyers, and refer other people to you. Successful small business owners know this. When you work for someone, you HAVE TO be nice to everyone, or you get fired!

Perhaps you have not noticed the 1/2 dozen people posting about simliar experiences as I either?

People saying they refuse to do business with him again.

Partsrack is a very targeted business torwards only Viper owners (which there are not that many). ANY EMAIL OR PHONE CALL HE RECEIVES, is someone who has a viper and is looking to make purchases either right away or in the near future.
I would treat every single one of those calls and emails to the best of my ability. He acts like he gets random calls from civic owners or something all day long. The people calling him have money, and plan on purchasing. So some of them are freeloaders? You dont treat EVERYONE, like a freeloader just beacuse they havent made a purchase yet.