Paxton Issues

OP
OP
S

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wiring is good... Pins match up perfect...

I tested the fuel pumps and they are not getting power...

I just tested my water **** kit and that is also not firing ....

I am really wondering if I am not getting vacuum...

How can I pressurize the system to check??

Joe

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I'd down load the Paxton install manual and review it.

I can't remember exactly how the supplemental fuel pumps get power but it may be through a relay of some sort. You may want to work backwards from the pumps and check the wiring.

Vacuum is easy to check, just pick up a vacuum gage and plug it into the hoses that are suspect.

Good luck,

Dan

OP
OP
S

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Water **** and the fuel pumps are on seperate circuits....

Picked up a Vacuum gauge.....
I am getting vacuum to the water/**** kit, FCU, and back to the SS box...
I was wrong on the water/**** kit... I was expecting it to shoot out and the type of nozzle it has on it would stop it from shooting out...

Still I am not getting anything on the fuel pumps...

No power and the ground is good on the fuel pumps....

The fuse leading to the fuel pumps is good....

I am really starting to think that it is the SS box once again...

Looks like we will see next week when I install the box that I get from Fast Too...

Thanks everyone...

Joe

OP
OP
S

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fuel pumps use a fuse to connect to the ss box.

I only have relays for the water pump and the water **** kit.

Joe

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So go get two wires and hook up the pumps directly to a battery. OR disconnect the wires on the relays and jumper them to a 9v battery. trying to figure out if the fuel pumps are shot...

OP
OP
S

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't at the moment..

I did test with the multimeter to see if the power wire is ever getting any volts and its not..
That's why I still think its the box..

Ill try testing the fuel pumps tonight to see if they come on when I put power to them.

Thanks

Joe

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't at the moment..

I did test with the multimeter to see if the power wire is ever getting any volts and its not..
That's why I still think its the box..

Ill try testing the fuel pumps tonight to see if they come on when I put power to them.

Thanks

Joe

the trigger wire should get volts but the + should be on all the time when the car is 'on'.

the trigger triggers the relay to close the circuit casing the pumps to turn on.

OP
OP
S

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's how I tested...

There are two wires going into each pump...

Positive and a negative....

When the car goes up in the rpms...

I should get a voltage reading, but I am not getting any reading....

Which means the circuit is never closed by the split second box..

Joseph, are you familiar with the R4 software and the settings?

Is there anywhere in the program I could look to see when the pumps should be kicked off?

Thanks,

Joe

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forget the Split Second for a minute. There are 2 wires going to each pump. hook up a battery directly to the pump. use a 9v if you have to. 1pos and 1neg. you have no idea if the pumps actually work or not!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it doesnt matter right now if the pumps get voltage at a particular RPM or not. if they dont work its not gonna matter. you need to see first if they work at all, then worry about when they kick on and off.

like JD said, see if they turn on at all first.

OP
OP
S

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not true... If the pumps never get a signal...It doesn't matter if the pumps work or not...

They will never turn on... By taking a 9v and hooking it up to the pumps.. All that does is let me know that they work...which doesn't explain why the circuit never closes..

There is no relay going to the pump... Maybe inside the ss box, but that's about it...
If I don't get any volts coming from the SS box then that is the issue..

Right now I am away on business.... When I get home on thursday night I'll check the pumps to make everybody happy.....

On Friday I will be rewiring the new SS box with the new fuel pumps....
Hopefully I get my new plugs and the wire looms.. Because then I will also put AB's wires on..... That's going to be fun...

Joe

VIPER R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed a fuel gauge and boost gauge on my hood, along with LEDs connected to the pumps and water injection. This helps monitoring everything in real time and real world conditions. If something fails it's like an idiot lite going off. So far I've had no real problems.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm glad you are away. I need the break from answering the same question over and over. w/o sounding like a ****, this board needs a basic-troubleshooting-101 course. if we had it now, you'd fail.

but you are almost on your way to getting the car to work!

JD

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sending the two pumps that came with my basic Paxton setup that I have left over along with the SS box. If it turns out Steponz has bad pumps he will have those in hand too. He should be good to go with parts when he gets back and continues fixing this thing.

OP
OP
S

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wiring schematic is available on the website...

Its actually quite a basic setup....

Does anybody who have a newer kit have a relay going to the fuel pumps?

Joe

OP
OP
S

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey JD,

Have you personally messed with the split second box and configured fuel mappings and timing settings?

I pulled the mapping tables and see some interesting stuff.....

Joe

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes. But I have 3 jobs as it is so i don't have time to get on the phone to do anything with it. you can send me some screen shots or a dump of the program, however...

OP
OP
S

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sent the mdb file to you JD.. Take a look at it when you can.

The fuel map seems very off and there is no timing changes at all in the lower ranges only above 7psi....

Joe

OP
OP
S

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I checked the fuel pumps with a 9v battery before started installing the new ss box...
And both pumps work.

So then I wired the new ss box and installed it inside the cab this time..

The car runs much better when idling..

After driving it for about an hour the car started run rich again and started shooting flames..
Not as bad as it used too, but still shoots flames...

I noticed it doing it only after the car really warmed up and after some hard use..
I was wondering if it has to do with the water/**** kit?? or maybe the fuel pumps??
When exactly are the fuel pumps supposed to come on??
Water is the best method for testing if the fuel pumps are coming on??

Could a bad ground cause this??or the high heat??

I will be replacing the fuel pumps later today, just to make sure...
But want to find out what everybody else thinks..

Thanks,

Joe

OP
OP
S

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also noticed that my gas gauge goes down pretty quick....

I think I am just going to hook some LEDS up to see if they turn on...
Can't really here them when the car is on... And it doesn't seem like I am getting accurate pressure...

Joe

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I said it before and I will say it again. Bring it to Doug Levin. Whatever is wrong appears to be beyond your skill set. Good luck.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked at your email. The problem with remote troubleshooting is that when the person on the other end changes the variables (and thus the target) as we move along it is hard to keep track.

At this point, you have multiple things going on. Time to either swap it all out yourself and start from scratch (on the electronics) or take it to DLM.

my .02... even though you won't like to hear it.

JD

OP
OP
S

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whats changed?

The SS box was changed to a new one... Thats it..

You wonder why these boards are worthless as far as information comes..

One of the main reasons I switched out the SS box was to put it in the cabin and to also
eliminate that being the problem...

That was changed and I still have the problem.
Nothing else has been changed... So the variables really haven't changed...

I have spoken to Doug drectly on the phone and he is a great help.. He has been far better than this board has been. Except for Fast Too... He has been very nice and helpful.

Right now we are looking at the O2 sensors to see if that is causing the issues...
We are also looking to see if maybe I have a bad cat..

Personally I could really careless about everybody thinks about my skillset or if I failed my troubleshooting steps...

I rather actually learn more and more about the car instead of just bringing it to a tuner and letting them fix it...

I'll keep on posting on whats happening to the car...

If you plan on posting and it is of no help... I suggest you don't... As I will just ignore the posts...

Thanks,

Joe

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whats changed?

The SS box was changed to a new one... Thats it..

You wonder why these boards are worthless as far as information comes..

One of the main reasons I switched out the SS box was to put it in the cabin and to also
eliminate that being the problem...

That was changed and I still have the problem.
Nothing else has been changed... So the variables really haven't changed...

I have spoken to Doug drectly on the phone and he is a great help.. He has been far better than this board has been. Except for Fast Too... He has been very nice and helpful.

Right now we are looking at the O2 sensors to see if that is causing the issues...
We are also looking to see if maybe I have a bad cat..

Personally I could really careless about everybody thinks about my skillset or if I failed my troubleshooting steps...

I rather actually learn more and more about the car instead of just bringing it to a tuner and letting them fix it...

I'll keep on posting on whats happening to the car...

If you plan on posting and it is of no help... I suggest you don't... As I will just ignore the posts...

Thanks,

Joe

Hey Joe -

Bite me.

I've spent countless hours trying to help you. I'd given you my phone number. I told you when we could talk. I gave you DLM's contact info. I've guided you. I've given you suggestions. *** and emails. And now you don't like the idea that you are in over your head so you tell us all that we are a waste?

f- you.

you'd learn the most from taking your car to someone, watching them trouble-shoot it, and then reporting back that you learned something rather than whining like a little girl that your car doesn't run.

do you even know how the SS box works even though I've told you about two-dozen times regarding the fuel pumps? IT TURNS ON AT A PROGRAMMED RPM. IF IT ISN'T COMING ON (aka no fuel pressure increase) THEN THE SS ISN'T ACTIVATING THE PUMPS! THIS IS YOUR PROBLEM!!!

I promise i won't post anymore on your threads, you ungrateful snot.

I KNOW why the boards are worthless: It is because people like you post half-ass'd comments with insufficient information. You think that anyone that goes back in the archives and re-reads what you posted will be able to figure out anything OTHER than that you don't know what you are doing?

Good luck to you!

BTW: Bite me. Don't ask for my help ever again.

Did I mention Bite Me?

My last advice for you is to figure out WHY THE FUEL PUMPS AREN'T COMING ON and that will solve your problem.

Just like I told you in email.

Just like I told you in ***.

And Just like I told you in your initial post. On 9/9. See above.

bye!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One correction. The SS turns on the fuel pumps at 1 inch of vacuum, just prior to going into boost. Watching a boost gage it should appear as if simultaneous with boost. RPM is only a lower limit. Once the fuel pump is turned on the actual fuel pressure will vary based on the boost that the FMU is observing.

Many of us with Paxtons and experience programming the SS are in the background watching in amazement. This board can be of great assistance. But not with an attitude!