paxton vs roe racing S/C

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
if and when roe releases his s/c for the srt10, what are the pros and cons between the 2 systems?

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There have been SEVERAL debates on this issue. There is a thread called Roe vs Paxton vs TT, and it goes on and on.
Basically, the Roe looks better and kicks in max hp much lower on the rpm curve. Much more hp and acceleration quicker...but, harder to control traction-wise. The Paxton builds boost w/ rpm and delivers max hp around the shift point, which can be tricky and cause violent spin-outs at high speed. But overall, Paxton cars are more easily controlled traction-wise, and the car is more predictable in corners (unless u shift).

Both build up much heat, Roe's have been known to cause pre-detonation, but I think most of those issues have been solved in the GEn 1's and Gen 2s. Paxtons blow up more engines b/c they are capable of more hp and higher boost...that problem is actually the car owners fault, not the Paxton. Paxtons have been known to lose power due to belt slippage, Doug Levin has a great system to prevent that.

Two different philosophies, two great systems for power. My Viper tech prefers Roe, but it is not available for our cars yet. Roe is better in the 1/4 mile if you can get the car to stick I think. Paxton is better for 200+ hp and driveability. Roe is usually less expensive. Great guys have both systems and swear by them. Paxtons are tried and proven in the Gen 3's. But Sean Roe is a genius and I am sure he will have a great system as well....just my .2 cents worth.

OP
OP
E

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There has been SEVERAL debates on this issue. There is a site called Roe vs Paxton vs TT, and it goes on and on.
Basically, the Roe looks better and kicks in max hp around much lower on the rpm curve. Much more acceleration quicker...but, harder to control traction-wise. The Paxton builds boost w/ rpm and delivers max hp around the shift point, which can be tricky. Both build up much heat, Roe's have been known to cause pre-detonation, but I think most of those issues have been solved. Paxtons blow up more engines b/c they are capable of more hp and higher boost.
Two different philosophies, two great systems for power. My Viper tech prefers Roe, but it is not available for our cars yet. Roe is better in the 1/4 mile if you can get the car to stick I think. Paxton is better for 200+ hp and driveability. Roe is usually less expensive. Great guys have both systems and swear by them. Paxtons are tried and proven in the Gen 3's. But Sean Roe is a genius and I am sure he will have a great system as well....just my .2 cents worth.

good post.
im aware of some of the differences between a twin screw and centrifugal, and at first glance, i would lean towards twin screw on a stock block, but centrifugal on a built block because i think something like paxton can make more power. at least thats what i think.
but then again, with all those CI's, the viper isnt short on torque to begin with....
what kind of numbers do folks lay down with the basic systems on stock internals?

Reaction score
I would beg to differ on the statement the Paxtons blowup more motors. The stock Paxton kit is VERY safe and does not put nearly the stress on the motor the Roe does since the motor only sees large boost on the top of the RPM range not always in the meat of your driving RPM. I agree that you can cause damage with any blower that is used because what you have to realize and I have said this before, when you are building big HP motors they are all time bombs, it's not a matter of "if" but "when".

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would beg to differ on the statement the Paxtons blowup more motors. The stock Paxton kit is VERY safe and does not put nearly the stress on the motor the Roe does since the motor only sees large boost on the top of the RPM range not always in the meat of your driving RPM. I agree that you can cause damage with any blower that is used because what you have to realize and I have said this before, when you are building big HP motors they are all time bombs, it's not a matter of "if" but "when".
Paxtons blow up more engines b/c they are capable of more hp than the Roe. Guys are adjusting the boost to high psi levels w/out strengthening the engine internals...the temptation for more power outpaces the pocketbook and common sense. Talk to any Viper technician, blown SRT Viper and SRT truck motors w/ Paxtons are constantly in the shop . But again, this problem is not inherent to the Paxton, it is knuckleheaded car owners that are the culprit. Personally, I think Paxtons are great!

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paxtons blow up more engines b/c they are capable of more hp than the Roe. Guys are adjusting the boost to high psi levels w/out strengthening the engine internals...the temptation for more power outpaces the pocketbook and common sense. Talk to any Viper technician, blown SRT Viper and SRT truck motors w/ Paxtons are constantly in the shop . But again, this problem is not inherent to the Paxton, it is knuckleheaded car owners that are the culprit. Personally, I think Paxtons are great!

There are plenty of ROE cars that have kaboomed motors just as there are Paxtons. it is all in the tune and has nothing to do w/ the blower.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are plenty of ROE cars that have kaboomed motors just as there are Paxtons. it is all in the tune and has nothing to do w/ the blower.
I agree. But since there are no Roe Gen 3's, its easy to pick out the issues w/ Paxton w/out considering Roe. I consider Mr. Dell one of the very most knowledgeable people on this site, so I will defer to his opinion. But I have always thought and heard that Paxtons are capable of more power than Roe. Does not more power cause more engine failures?:confused:

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Hate to state the obvious - but how can you compare the two systems for a Gen 3 when there is only one option at this point?

Sean has been notably quiet regarding his system for a Gen 3. I have also lost some faith in Sean since he has not responded to a Gen 2 blow-up and a question regarding his cat insulation catching fire. Just my 2 cents worth.

OP
OP
E

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hate to state the obvious - but how can you compare the two systems for a Gen 3 when there is only one option at this point?

Sean has been notably quiet regarding his system for a Gen 3. I have also lost some faith in Sean since he has not responded to a Gen 2 blow-up and a question regarding his cat insulation catching fire. Just my 2 cents worth.

really?
roe DOES have an application for the ram srt10 and as a point of reference, i was hoping to get some info on what folks were actually putting to the wheels on that kit and the paxton.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
really?
roe DOES have an application for the ram srt10 and as a point of reference, i was hoping to get some info on what folks were actually putting to the wheels on that kit and the paxton.

Not sure you can use the ram srt10 as a point of reference as from my understanding - that system will not fit under the hood of a Viper.

Again, it would be nice if Sean would come out and say yes or no for a Gen 3 version.

One other question though regarding the Paxton systems - How is the boost controlled? With Roe, you need a different pulley - is it the same for Paxton?

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure you can use the ram srt10 as a point of reference as from my understanding - that system will not fit under the hood of a Viper.
Again, it would be nice if Sean would come out and say yes or no for a Gen 3 version.

I will be emailing Sean soon again to ask about this very question....we touch base every few months...we wanta know too. And, no, we won't change our hood either :D . ~juli

omore001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To Rocket62, all superchargers: centrifical, twin screw or roots, are are all driven by the belt of the engine and therefore are driven by a pulley. Regardless of the supercharger, the only way to increase boost (PSI) is to either put a smaller supercharger pulley or a bigger crank pulley.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jandrix302