performance coil?

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, what's up with that. What is it?.. or them, should I say. You know Vipers use two coil packs (one 4, and one 6) to light up the V-10. Seems to work pretty well. (the OEM stuff) ---don't see the need for an upgrade on that part of the car.:boggled:

OP
OP
B

BlackOutBoxing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Screaming demon offers one that makes more spark. It allows bigger gaps in the plug. U can find there website on google I ordered them anyway so I guess I'll find out:) yes there is 2. I'm sure they produce more spark I was just concerned with reliability?

OP
OP
B

BlackOutBoxing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice! That's what I was looking for! Plus I have a 1999 too. Thanks what kind of spark plug? They say autolites I think? Oh and what's the gap ur using on the plugs. Sorry for bugging u but ur my source right now:) Thanx

Reaction score
the oem coils drop off after around 3800-4200, the demon coils we helped develop, they will allow more spark, at a higher rpm, , most guys notice a touch bit more "pep" and a better idle.

dyno showed about 4hp increase over the rpm range, and about .3-.5 in mpg increase. The electrical connector on some do require modifications, as they fit dodge 6 cyl and 4 cyl also

we found keeping the gap at oem , helped actually more than widening it.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, now I'm curious. please post your impressions/results after you put'em on. I don't give a crap about dyno this,or dyno that. Just if you can feel it with the seat of the pants meter!:dunno:

OP
OP
B

BlackOutBoxing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
K I'll post what I think but it will be hard to tell doing heads , cam, manifold, throttle bodies etc... I just always remember my Dad talking about hot coils back in the day and came across these. Figured I'm doing everything else so i should try them. More spark cleaner burning. I like what im hearing so far:)

Reaction score
what we noticed is with the oem coils the plugs seemed to die off after say 15k miles, with the coils now , the plugs are burning better an lasting alot longer, even in stock configurations,

as you say with a build you may not notice much, but you should be getting a much cleaner hotter spark, good luck on your build boss

OP
OP
B

BlackOutBoxing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks nice website just checked it out. Hoping to break into the 10s naturally aspirated. came close with other vipers, but doing the mist mods to this one! Ha I'm on my 12th viper since my boxing career. Guess I'm addicted? Blackoutboxing.com. Check it out. I will pass on ur website to some of the local viper owners. thanks again for the info:)

Reaction score
awesome site man! thats killer! I got a half dozen customers up in Jersey, I will have the guys check ya out boss, and givem heck on the 10's man! I am working on my personal ride aiming for the same, just need a little giggle juice to get all the poundage moving LOL,on the plugs we have had the best luck with a normal good ol fashioned ngk boss, about .45 is what we have been using.

Keep us up to date on the build! sounds like its going to be a blast!

RTIO

Viper Owner
Reaction score
how much are they and who stocks them or could someone send me the web link please.

RTIO

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Also if someone is testing on a Dyno try this one .
we have found that alloy motors are not a very good earth
conductor so the more earth links as possible evan as
even go as far as to all the injector bolts. let me know
if you get the same results. it will blow your mine

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm using them on my blown GTS. I'm able to run 16 PSI boost and keep the gap at .035. Great cold start and driveability improvements as well. Personally, night and day difference for me. Used to have to swap foulded out plugs every 2-3K mikes. Now I'm over 6k on the same set of NGKs and they are burning wonderfully.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the oem coils drop off after around 3800-4200, the demon coils we helped develop, they will allow more spark, at a higher rpm, , most guys notice a touch bit more "pep" and a better idle.

Im now curious why this is the first i have heard of this. 20yrs later and this product is just coming out:dunno: Im i missing something here? is there any others making/selling aftermarket coils? I dont remember seeing on Partsrack/ROE/DCperformance/ViperSpecialty's websites.... A new(to the VCA) vendor coming out with a new unique product has me a bit skeptical. I'd like to give you the opportunity to change me&others from a skeptics to a believers though,

Could you please provide a graph showing the "dropoff"(0-redline rpm's on x-axis) Im curious to see exactly what you are talking about with units of measure and all.

more talk on these here:
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/644727-V10-H.O.-Ignition-Coil-Packs?highlight=coil+pack

Reaction score
I dont have the info here, actually Im off today , but will contact them and see if we can get that for you, we saw the need for them a couple years ago, I contacted dui, and spoke with them on it, they tested the oem coils, and came up with a new one for us since there basically is no aftermarket bolt on units,

I have been in the other side for 4-5 years, and have sold countless numbers of them, with great success, so they really arent a new item, jsut one that hasnt hit this side as yet, as some have said, its not a huge thing that you will notice, but we do notice longer plug life , greater spark , but I will see if I can get you some info sir, if not mistaken we are there largest distributor of these, probably 1000 units guessing on ram srt10s

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great. Please do. Im at around 70K miles and if these aftermarket units we are talking about have any benifit over OEM i would likely use them for a replacement over stock. If not then i would just call the man and pick up a set off a low mileage salvage viper for cheap cause i am cheap:)

s55c

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so anybody know what the differance is on the Gen 1 coils?? ....their website states that they will fit 97 & up.... is it the plug, mouting or ???? would love to put a pair in... have used their stuff on other cars of mine and always have had good results... anyone know?????

Last edited:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just purchased the Demon coils for my GenII. Really no rhyme or reason for the purchase, just looking for something to wrench on. :D Will post up a write up and impressions in the next couple of weeks,

OP
OP
B

BlackOutBoxing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nice! I wont have a chance to try mine until my heads and cam get done! Plus i wont have a consistant before and after to compare them! Let me know what ya think? Hope there are good!!!!!

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My scream demon coil packs arrived today. First impression upon lifting up the package was "heavy!". I'll have to weigh these and compare them to weight of the OEM coil packs. Packaged very nicely. Upon inspection, the coils are not stamped with cylinder numbers as the OEM units are. No problem. Reading the installation instructions, I came across this statement "To achieve full benefit from your Screamin' Demon coil packs, open up your spark plug gaps to .065" ". :omg: I'm currently at .035" gap though Mr. Good advises me to run a gap of .030" based on the mods.

I will get around to installing these sometime next week. I figured it may be worthwhile, if not prudent, to somehow measure the effectiveness of these coil packs. Not sure how I should go about doing it. I figure measuring the output and comparing them to the output of the stock coils is good start. Any ideas how to do this?

Thx.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My scream demon coil packs arrived today. First impression upon lifting up the package was "heavy!". I'll have to weigh these and compare them to weight of the OEM coil packs. Packaged very nicely. Upon inspection, the coils are not stamped with cylinder numbers as the OEM units are. No problem. Reading the installation instructions, I came across this statement "To achieve full benefit from your Screamin' Demon coil packs, open up your spark plug gaps to .065" ". :omg: I'm currently at .035" gap though Mr. Good advises me to run a gap of .030" based on the mods.

I will get around to installing these sometime next week. I figured it may be worthwhile, if not prudent, to somehow measure the effectiveness of these coil packs. Not sure how I should go about doing it. I figure measuring the output and comparing them to the output of the stock coils is good start. Any ideas how to do this?

Thx.

I think I put my gap at .032. I made sure to install one block at a time, making sure not to cross the wires. I will say installing them with the tranny removed made it very easy(was also doing a clutch :D ) You will have to modify on side of where the connection plug goes on. I believe it si on the 6-pack coil, but not positive. The instructions should have been clear on the modification.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I put my gap at .032. I made sure to install one block at a time, making sure not to cross the wires. I will say installing them with the tranny removed made it very easy(was also doing a clutch :D ) You will have to modify on side of where the connection plug goes on. I believe it si on the 6-pack coil, but not positive. The instructions should have been clear on the modification.

The instructions state there are no modifications to be made but I'll find out soon enough.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm running .035 gap with 16 PSI boost. No misfiring at redline and running W/M as well. Cold start and around town idle is so much better than witht he stock coils.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Ellow. I've been hearing similar feedback from a few other Viper owners that have installed these. Since I had to remove my intake (it's off to Greg Good for some porting work), this made access to the coil packs much, much easier. However, removing the intake is not required. Removing the cowl is required and consists of unscrewing 4 screws.

I weighed both the OEM and SD coil packs and found there was little difference in weight:

OEM Coil Packs: 5 lbs, 3oz
S.D. Coil Packs: 5 lbs, 4 3/4oz

I believe the difference in weight *may* due to the additional resin contained in the new SD coil packs. Here are some photos comparing the OEM to SD coil packs (OEM on left):

You must be registered for see images attach

* The above imaged were pulled from a review on the SRT Viper Truck Forum.

Although the instructions stated no modifications are necessary, one modification is indeed necessary. One of the connectors on the new coil pack will not fit into the wiring harness connector. It appears that the new coil pack connector has a plastic guide offset which is preventing it from mating with the wiring harness connector:

This will need to be ground down in order for it to fit properly. I suspect this design was made for the SRT Viper truck which may explain the incompatibility issue.

As I noted earlier, the new coil packs are not stamped with the individual cylinder numers like OEM. I took my Sharpie and wrote down the cylinder numbers so I can easily see them from under the hood:

I opted to remove the coil pack mounting bracket and install the coil packs outside of the engine bay. This is not necessary. The coil packs can be removed from behind the intake by simply removing the 8 bolts in the picture above. The bolts will back out and clear the cowl area.

Still not sure how I'm going to measure the performance of these coils but once I get everything buttoned up I'll post more info.

- Tony

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte