Picked up and raced my Undergroung Racing TT GTS!

Moparjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got back from my second trip down to UGR to visit my 96 B/W TT that they built for me. I really can't say enough good things about these guys and my experience with them! They finished my car a few weeks ago, it's what is rapidly becoming an ordinary run of the mill (at the rate these guys are building these beasts) 1500 RWHP UGR TT GTS.

During the course of the build, Kevin must have fielded 1,000 phone calls and emails from me, constantly answering my questions, going over my options, and keeping me up to date on the progress of my car. I received pictures, dyno sheets, invoices, etc. as we went along, keeping me informed every step of the way. The car ended up costing me EXACTLY what was quoted for the build and every option I added along the way - no "price creep" as we went along, as I have had happen at a lot of shops I have dealt with. The price was also about as low as they come for a build of this power level and quality, and is literally a small fraction of what a certain bigger name tuner is charging for a lot less power. They even added several upgrades as we went along at NO CHARGE, since they fit the build and I intend to race the car!

Once the car was nearing completion, they extended the invitation to come down and check the car out, and then run the car at Rockingham with them during a private test and tune session. I took them up on their offer a few weeks ago and flew down and it was a pretty mind blowing experience. They pretty much rolled out the red carpet for me - picked me up at the airport, showed me around their shop (packed full of Vipers and the odd Lambo and GT here and there!) and some of the projects they have in the works - needless to say I was extremely impressed. The build quality on these cares is second to none, the attention to detail is like nothing I have ever seen. KC and Kevin, and the rest of their crew are all extremely cool guys and really know what they are doing! They have some really exciting things in the works.

The next day we went to Rockingham, and again they really went all out. They rented the track, trailed the car there for me, brought everything we would need - tools, parts, fans, generator, compressor, etc. and a couple of the mechanics from the shop Mike and Matt. All I had to do was get in and drive - they set up the car between each run, changed tires, did EVERYTHING for me and best of all I got to learn as we went everything about the car setup from boost setting to suspension settings - no secrets here! Wish I could say I was a great driver, but stepping up from old school musclecars mostly automatics and my last 750 RWHP 10.50 Supercharger Viper proved to be a big adjustment for me. I ran the car maybe a dozen or so times. I got a few good runs in drag radials on the LOWEST boost possible on the wastegate springs only - maybe 9-10 PSI I believe around 900 RWHP or so I ran a best of 9.69 @ 155. Turning the boost up to 20 PSI maybe 1200 RWHP or so proved problematic traction wise and I couldn't get a clean run in without blowing the tires off and overrevving, missed a gear a few times, etc. The guys were extremely helpful the whole time and we kept at it. We put on a set of Quicktime Pros and I ran a few more incomplete runs before we came to the conclusion that I just wasn't getting them hot enough. The last run we made it hooked great, had a real nice 60 foot in the 1.4 range and I think a 6.1 or so 60 foot at 128 in the 1/8th would have been a really nice run but I missed fourth, overrreved it yet again and ended up breaking a pushrod after all the abuse my valvetrain suffered all day.

Again, UGR came through big time. After our trip, Kevin was itching to go to the track again and they had a few other cars they were looking to run, so they AGAIN offered to have me come down and run mine with them again. They immediately took care of fixing mine up for me, and I flew down again yesterday for another trip. This time the weather didn't cooperate much it was drizzling when we got there and we didn't think we would get any racing in at all but it did eventually clear up. I got a few runs in on the Quicktime Pros and still a medium boost setting of around 20 PSI a best of 9.02 @ 165. Then the strangest thing I have seen happened. We turned the boost up a bit more and took a break for lunch, looking for an 8 second slip when we got back. When we got back to the track however, it was LIME GREEN. The entire area had been coated with some fine green POLLEN of some sort which I guess is "normal" down there and that was about it for our day. With that lime green stuff on the track traction went seriously bad and I couldn't get it to hook at all. The car has a LOT more in it, I am still having a hard time handling it at 20 PSI let alone the 34 PSI or so I can run on race gas. I have no doubt with some seat time and some better driving the car will go 8s on pump gas on DOT tires, and who knows how fast on the full 34 PSI and a full slick. For the doubters that try to say Garth's or other cars they have built are flukes or shenanigans or whatever I say cram it. These cars are the real deal - full weight, stock drivetrain setup, 8 or even 7 second capable cars that drive on the street like a stock one. **** they even still have AC! There is no secret tricks or bull**** or shenanigans other than they know what the hell they are doing and know not only how to BUILD the cars, but how to set the cars up, and how to run them at the strip. I honestly can't say I have done business with another shop even CLOSE in the 20 plus years I have been wrenching on, building, and racing cars. You are truly getting a turn key ready to run monster from these guys.

Anyways I am tired as hell just got back, I took some crappy pics and video that I will post later. They shot some video and ran a few of their cars as well, that I am pretty sure they are going to post up!

I cannot say it enough - THANKS UGR! and I strongly recommend anyone considering one of these SC or TT builds don't even think about it give Kevin and KC a call!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock187