Pics of my Rear Mount Twin Turbo Build on my Viper

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a big series of Questions that I will do my best to answer here.

Steve;

Very interesting kit! So I have the full Bellanger set-up on my Viper (Headers, High Flow Cats, Cat Back with no cross over). Some questions:

1. Does your TT kit just bolt right up to my Bellanger set up without any mods to the Bellanger headers or cats or cat-back. Does it just pick it up right after the mufflers and carry it from there?

The kit is being made to bolt up to either the Stock exhaust headers or any aftermarket header system, it is best to run a turbo system without cats due to extra fuel that goes with the tune for the extra air flow. It does not pick up after the mufflers there is a straight pipe that is supplied to replace the stock or after market muffler piece, a muffler or expansion chamber will cause too much of a pressure variance and will impede flow to the turbos.

2. What kind of heat is back there with those remote Turbos, etc. Is it enough to warp the factory diffuser and rear bumper assembly or cause it to warp over time? Look like a saggy diaper?

The heat is shielded and will not warp any factory pieces, if you look under your hood your stock headers are right beside factory composite pieces and we are taking everything into account with this system, these turbos are water cooled and are place pretty much exactly where the Gen 2's had their exhaust outlets. But at the end of the day, the person who puts a system on their car will have to decide what they want and how much they want to mod their cars. These remote turbos make less heat than a foot well turbo, for bot the car and the turbo components.

3. Let's assume Stage 2 kit, when you talk about upgraded fuel system, what are you really referring to? Are you changing out the in tank fuel pump? Are you adding an inline fuel pump as well? Changing out fuel lines for Aero-Quip style new fuel lines? New Injectors? What size injectors? New Fuel Rails? Does it require a new fuel pressure regulator?

We are not changing out the intank fuel system, we are replicating teh fuel system as it has been on the test car that our tune builder has been running hard for 15,000 miles at 800 RWHP, we are trying to make a budget yet proper system. If someone wants to run up the boost they will have to have a more robust fuel system and a built motor to support the power. We are supplying flow matched larger injectors (paxton doesn't) and fuel pump booster (paxton does this), no fuel pressure regulator or FPU as our tune does not rely on that type of equipment for this kit,

4. When we are talking about electronics, what are you really thinking? Is this just SCT Tunes or a more advanced piggy back computer chip that let's you change every single strapping table and configuration to really dial the car in for the set-up, location, ambient, etc. For us "Rockies" boys, we need the tuning attributes to really dial the cars in up here. My 408 Stroker S351R Saleen has a Moates chip in it and with all the fun forged stuff we did internally, as well as Snow Boost Methanol Injection, etc., etc. we just wrapped it up and Dyno tested the car two months ago (after 18 hours of dyno testing and tuning as EVERY table was changed for high altitude, sensors moved (like air intake temp from inside the fender to ported into the bottom of the intake, etc.)) anyway if is all what it should be, and at a 92 DEGF Ambient day, we ran 579 rwHP and 640 rwtorque with ZERO detonation or hesitation, etc. 18% drivetrain losses puts the crank at 685 hp and 750 torque. My point is it is all in the tuning? Can you really explain more how you are tying this tuning in and how it will meet emissions. We do not have CARB requirements in Colorado, but we do have very strict emissions. If I were to look at this set up, I don't want to have to do anything to pass emissions beyond dumping a leaner tune in and drive off to the station. It is important to me the car pass emissions on it's own without unhooking this or that. It also has to be tuned for our "no-air" state.

We are supplying an SCT tune as that is what is working on our test car. To pass emission you will be able to disconnect your in pipe and teh exhaust running to teh turbo, load your stock tune and most likely pass emmissions, at this point there is no power adder system that any supplier will claim will pass emmissions, whether it be headers and high flow or Turbo systems or a paxton. We are not supplying a Motec, AEM (which has been discontinued for Viper) or pectel. our tuner has lots of experience with these sytsems but as you know they are not going to allow you to go to the emmissions tester and have them hook up to your OBD2 port and have you pass, we are trying to keep this simple. I have had a PAxton car in the past and had a custom fuel system that had been installed by Valaya and modded by DC and I ended up stranded multiple times because of it and becuase of teh AEM i had take a crap as well. I want this system to be turn key and reliable. If someone wants more they can ask for it and get it, but our base kits are designed to be turn key and make better power than a paxton.

5. Only want to use the stock rear bumper and diffuser area so the car looks 100% stock. Are there any other issues with using the stock versus your new back end. I am sure you will put out a nice rear, but just not interested in that look?

The adjustable rear aero I am working on is not a necessary part, just an option that I decided to make, the 15 degree angle at the bottom of teh car is WRONG for a re-attachment of laminar flow, the correct angle is 7 degrees so I just took this opportunity to make a new piece and I figured that while I am at it I will make it adjustable. The piece I am making will not be distingushable by many as anything but stock but a real Viper guy will be able to see that something is different there.

6. Where does your 5-7 gallon water tank reside? Does it come with low coolant level sensors? Where does the remote water pump reside?

I am putting my water tank in the trunk area, I don't use my trunk much or anything besides a gym bag or similar, but the size we have picked still retains most of the storage size of teh trunk. We have had some people ask for a heat exchanger up front instead and that is definitely an option. The water pump is packaged right behind one of the intercoolers. We are not putting a coolant level sensor in as part of the kit, but one can be installed easily, paxton does not do this either, it is a closed system that is easy to check on as the user feels he needs to.

7. Now I am a big believer in Methanol Injection after my Saleen experience. I mean I am getting rubber in all 5 gears, which is crazy. Even though I know Turbos work off of heat, I would imagine there is a benefit to the motor internals to be cooled with Methanol which also cleans them up nice. Can a Methanol kit be added and are you considering something like this as an option? With all that pipe under the car up to the intake system, the Methanol injection can be right in the back (so the system can be very compact (with tank , pump and level sensors in the back, so those pipes are cooled with a clean dense charge up to the intakes up front? Reason I ask is I put Bellangers on to remove heat, yet this sytem adds heat to the tunnel (I would imagine) I don't want that. We want heat at the Turbos to spin them up there nice, but just aft the Turbos on those long pipes up to the intake, that can be cool and full of clean, very dense air under pressure.

A methanol kit would be a great addition, but it is not required, I have always been wary of items that require a constant check of, to insure the drive ability of your car. Yes it would be a benefit and can be added for more power, but it is not a requirement of this kit for drive ability. The cold pipes running up the center tunnel will add little to no heat as the air will be at ambient temp once it leaves the intercooler, and compared to a foot well system will add WAY less heat, and since all our cooling is in the back we are not adding more heat tax to the viper cooling system up front. when you add a heat exchanger up front you are taking the cooling capacity away from something and adding heat to the engine, you physically cannot avoid this and it is one of the compounding reasons that a paxton heat soaks so easy,

Thanks for the info! When we talked before I had no idea you were looking at a remote TT kit like this. Of course my biggest question, is what mods are required to make this kit work, what holes are drilled where? Does it require cutting anything? I don't want ANY cutting! As I am banking on the Viper being worth something again in 40 years, (I am going to enjoy it all the time up to then however) I do not want to cut anything. Small drill holes are okay but I don't want to drill a huge hole anywhere on the car. Just need to fill in the rest of the info based upon what you wrote here.

This system is very non invasive compared to many mods, we have drilled or cut nothing except for a few mount holes in the back and we are relocating the battery in the twin kit, I am putting an oddessey small race battery in place of mine. But outside of that you will have little to no cutting drilling or otherwise, but with the same grain of salt this is a modification so expect something. I always keep all my stock parts and I suggest you do the same.

I am still a screw blower guy, but this kit is intriguing. Hey, maybe you should slap a Whipple on top of this kit as well and figure out how to make that all work? (kidding as that is just a small Hot Wheels boy dream)

Rick

BTW I still have my 1969 Mach 1 of the past 25+ years. I just can not really bring myself to sell it, much to the disappointment of my wife. :drive:

Last edited:

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That intake connection looks awesome Steve. You are one of the best guys out there for the viper community, keep these new products rolling out .

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Steve, although I am not after turbos, I would like to see this rear diffuser you are talking about. Do you have pic's yet?

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's one hell of a lot of work! Well done. But I have to say having that kind of set up over here in the UK would worry the hell out of me, we have so many speed ramps and poor surfaced roads I would be scared to death of damaging those Turbos! Ive got a rear exit Bellanger system on my GTS and the bottoms of the exhaust resonators at the rear of the car are scraped to hell!

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's one hell of a lot of work! Well done. But I have to say having that kind of set up over here in the UK would worry the hell out of me, we have so many speed ramps and poor surfaced roads I would be scared to death of damaging those Turbos! Ive got a rear exit Bellanger system on my GTS and the bottoms of the exhaust resonators at the rear of the car are scraped to hell!

Thanks for the compliment, its been a lot of fun actually!

Must have some steep driveways over there, my GTS was lowered a couple of inches and I can't say I ever scraped my B&B exhaust tip.

Last edited:

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve, if I'm keeping up with Colovipers questions. It sounds like this system deletes the cats and mufflers in lieu of straight pipes only? Is this correct? Any sound clips of it running yet?

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve, if I'm keeping up with Colovipers questions. It sounds like this system deletes the cats and mufflers inlue of straight pipes only? Is this correct? Any sound clips of it running yet?

Hi Alan,

You are correct, we delete the cats and the mufflers and have straight pipe in lieu of those pieces. Primary focus with that section is keeping the exhaust gasses going fast as they get to the turbos. So basically I can sell of my cat back and such if I installed this system. this adds into the cost/power equation as well in that the stage 1 or stage 2 system will allow some recovery in funds when one sells either their stock or aftermarket cat back.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment, its been a lot of fun actually!

Must have some steep driveways over there, my GTS was lowered a couple of inches and I can't say I ever scraped my B&B exhaust tip.

Check out this short video of a supercar run we were on a couple of months ago, its not driveways that are a problem its the main roads! ...
Location, Regents Park, central London
http://www.youtube.com/user/Shmee150#p/u/84/o0yUXvIzAUs

It caught me out too :(

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Steve;

I appreciate the answer to my questions. Kit looks absolutely great. The only unfortunate part is "no CATS". As they do a visual inspection on those when Emissions come up here, that makes this kit not in my cards unfortunately. Car would no pass Colorado Emissions without the CATS, regardless of the tune or unhooking everything. Guess I still have to hold out for that future twin screw blower kit or swallow the Paxton kit. :)

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Steve;

I appreciate the answer to my questions. Kit looks absolutely great. The only unfortunate part is "no CATS". As they do a visual inspection on those when Emissions come up here, that makes this kit not in my cards unfortunately. Car would no pass Colorado Emissions without the CATS, regardless of the tune or unhooking everything. Guess I still have to hold out for that future twin screw blower kit or swallow the Paxton kit. :)

Colo,

I have talked to my tuner and he has done many a car with turbos and cats, he has to pay a bit more attention to the EGT's but no big deal, someone such as yourself should have a specific tune anyways to optimize your system for your altitude anyways. Heck, every factory Turbo car out there has cats, my cayenne TT had cats.

When you are ready to go Turbo with cats and a specific tune for your altitude, let me know and you will be well taken care of. Twin screw is just not going to happen on our cars, there is no ROI for the developer, most of the Twin screw people base their ROI on sales volumes of kits that exceed total yearly Viper production. And as for the paxtons, I have had sooo many calls from people that want to get rid of their paxtons to go turbo, I am truly amazed!

Last edited:

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they do a visual they could be hollow??? We do that for diesels here. They make sure you have them but there is nothing in them.

ScrewDrvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
looking very nice. Cant wait to hear what she sounds like.
Any more pics of the rear exhaust/modified bumper?

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can I ask you a question about the intercoolers? I was looking at the pics and just wondering how much air flow they get in that position? I'm toying with the notion of doing a build similar on a DD for the fun/learning of it and have been researching for quite a while and was just wondering how much being back there effects their efficiency?

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are some initial startup vids, need to do some tuning but progress is happening, Got tip my hat to Paolo, from a pile of pipe and such to this in a couple of weeks, these vids and those to come tell the tale... just click on teh picture to play the vid

You must be registered for see images attach

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve, what do you estimate rwhp to be with the kit shown in the videos, and under how much boost? :eater:Waiting for the next vids to be on the street/track to see how she moves.

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are a few shots from a test drive,

We are looking at routing the rear cold pipes a little down so "peekers" and passer by's can see the filters and turbos better through the rear fascia

I can tell you that the turbos are making their sounds and building boost nice and low down the RPM band (1800RPM) so everybody that see's or hears the car is rubbernecking like crazy!