Pilot super Sports on an ACR

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your speaking of HPR (by your location and lap time average) I run a 2:06 with Sport Cups, and my car is a 'lame gen III'. ACR's have gotten down to 1:55ish. I think the actual 4-wheel track record is somewhere around 1:43. But that is with an open wheel F-1 type car with a pro driver. -it's posted in the registration trailer.

Yea, I'm kidding. I run 2:04s with the PSSs. Boxer12 got down to 1:55 but his ACR is far from stock and I think he was using slicks (not sure about the last bit). He definitely was not using street tires.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
True, the PS2s are stickier and true the PSSs last longer. For doing track days (not racing), the PSS would still be my choice. I might as well save a few bucks by not having to buy tires so often. After all I really don't care whether I do a 2:04 or a 2:01 lap. I wonder how long Michelin will continue to make the PS2 though.

If your drive your Viper aggressively enough at the track, you will ruin a new set of PS2's or the PSS's in a single weekend at the track, maybe in a single day.

If you don't care about your lap times and don't push the car, then either tire will be fun at the track, and the PS2 C1 tires are great tires for a novice as they give great feedback.

Dan

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your drive your Viper aggressively enough at the track, you will ruin a new set of PS2's or the PSS's in a single weekend at the track, maybe in a single day.

If you don't care about your lap times and don't push the car, then either tire will be fun at the track, and the PS2 C1 tires are great tires for a novice as they give great feedback.

Dan

Actually, I do drive the car aggressively. The car, and my current PSSs, were used on the One Lap of America. Tires have 5000+ street miles on them and a week's worth of track stuff during One Lap (drag racing, road racing). They have also been used for three days of track at Hastings Motorsports Park during the Viper event there in June. AND they are not done yet. I plan to get at least a couple of more track days out of this set at High Plains and High Plains is tough on left side tires. I'm telling you these tires wear like iron. That's why I use them on the track.

One other thing that helps a lot is a proper alignment. I run -2 camber up front and -1 in the rear.

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BMW2nv200 - Thanks man

gbatenjan- that is some amazing miles on aset of tires. If I run 8 x 25 minute seasons in a weekend on any tire its shotafter the weekend. On the street I can’t get more than 5000 miles from a tire. And yes I run the proper alignment and pressures

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I'll be anxoius to see how our local guys like these new PSS tires as a few of them are now running these on the street.

With a treadware rating of 300 or so, I'd agree that they will generally "wear" better than other tires with lower tread wear ratings, but if they "wear like iron on the track", they are likely "as hard as iron" compared to actual track tires like the PS Cups, Hoosier A6, R6 and Hoosier R100s, etc.

Dan

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll be anxoius to see how our local guys like these new PSS tires as a few of them are now running these on the street.

With a treadware rating of 300 or so, I'd agree that they will generally "wear" better than other tires with lower tread wear ratings, but if they "wear like iron on the track", they are likely "as hard as iron" compared to actual track tires like the PS Cups, Hoosier A6, R6 and Hoosier R100s, etc.

Dan

Yes, compared to slicks or other R compound tires they are "harder", but I have to tell you they don't feel bad on the track. Very predictable and linear. I've tracked my car with PS2s and PSSs and while the PS2s are probably stickier you cannot beat the wear of the PSS tires. Slicks tend to be there one second and gone the next, they are not as gradual. The PSSs let you know when you are approaching their limit and even then they give up gradually in my experience. The PS2s would not last anywhere near as long and we know the Cups wear out very quickly when tracked (and the Cups ain't cheap either, excepting that recent deal Luke had on the rears). Given all this I still say that the PSS is a great track tire as long as you were not looking for that last couple of seconds in lap time. If you are then go with slicks and be done. Either way tire expense on a Viper is high. I guess if I was that concerned I'd track a Miata.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missjazzyfitness