Pilot super Sports on an ACR

SNKBYT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone tracked the Pilot Supersports on an ACR? Hopw do they compare with the Sport Cups? I am looking to replace my cups and was wondering how the Supersports would work for track days.:drive:

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I also wanted to try those out after my Sport Cups wear,but they don't make a 295/30/18 for the fronts..

viperprowler1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I also wanted to try those out after my Sport Cups wear,but they don't make a 295/30/18 for the fronts..

I had the same initial qualms about the lack of a matching OEM size for the fronts but was assured by several folks that a number of ACR owners have gone with the 285/35/18 for the fronts. They are only slightly narrower and slightly taller than the OEM size of 295/30. VPA has a great price on a full set of SS for the ACR (and other Vipers as well). I don't track mine so it is a non-issue anyway. It will be a pleasure to get some tires that don't track so much on rutted or rough roads.

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now is the best time to replace your cups. Tire Rack has the rears on sale for $220 each and a $70 rebate if you order the fronts as well. I dont need them but had to buy a set at that price.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...took the deal from tire rack on the cup tires, can't wait to track them!

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was going to get a set of the SS because I heard a lot of horror stories about the cups in the rain. I got caught in a couple of bad storms and the cups did a lot better than I expected, so I would buy another set of cups.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cannot imagine a tire with a hard 300 treadwear rating would compete with the 80 treadwear rating of the PSC.
You are correct sir. The super sport is the best tire you can buy for a sports car driven on the street. The Cups are the best track tire you can buy that has a tread, and a treadwear rating higher than 40.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The tread wear on the Pilot Super Sports are not due to hard rubber, but due to the new technology that reduces squirm, and keeps the tire flatter on the road.

I suspect that we will soon be getting good reports from their track use, but with the price of cups, that is a hard deal to pass up.

tattooed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on the TireRack sale. I just ordered a few. :)

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have used the Super Sports extensively on the track in my ACR. They wear really well and are predictable. Not as much grip as the Cups but for me the wear and safety in the rain more than make up for that. I really like them a lot.

tcsracing1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
super sports and sport cup lap times are not all that different.

sport cup life span is horrible and for the little extra grip they give on the track over super sports i wouldnt bother unless the car is primary track use.

for anybody who drives their car regularly but also tracks the odd weekend then super sports are the way to go nowadays.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
super sports and sport cup lap times are not all that different.

sport cup life span is horrible and for the little extra grip they give on the track over super sports i wouldnt bother unless the car is primary track use.

for anybody who drives their car regularly but also tracks the odd weekend then super sports are the way to go nowadays.

You can say that again, I got only 4 days of tracking an ACR before I had to trash the tires, corded the fronts and rears were worn out.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
As long at the PS2 C1 tires are available, I'll continue to buy them over the Super Sports. They are stickier than the Super Sports on the road and at the track and do very well in the wet, though it's rarely wet here in So Cal.

Not a fan of the Cups, though they can be pretty good at the track when new.

Dan

Jim C

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find they make the car feel much more vague and understeer like a b*tch on the track (though I'm sure something could be adjusted to make up for it); they are easy to find the limits of though as they squeal loudly in proportion to the cornering speed. I like them a lot better on the street though; more comfortable and don't follow the road nearly as much.

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Pilot Super Sports are street tires.

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Pretty much a perfect summation!

(I'd just change it to "Pilot Super Sports are great street tires").

I still think the PS2 C1's are better street tires, so they would be "great" but have not tried the PSS tires on one of my Vipers, though I have a few friends who have.

It is nice that they may last longer than the PS2's, but they don't grip as well and rarely does a Viper owner wear his tires out on the street. Normally, our tires "time out" due to growing old and getting hard.

Dan

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Guess that I'm one of the few that actually drives his Viper and has worn out two sets of tires. Just completed my 2009 project Viper and plan to put on 4000 miles by years end. That would be about half the life of the PS2's.

I still think the PS2 C1's are better street tires, so they would be "great" but have not tried the PSS tires on one of my Vipers, though I have a few friends who have.

It is nice that they may last longer than the PS2's, but they don't grip as well and rarely does a Viper owner wear his tires out on the street. Normally, our tires "time out" due to growing old and getting hard.

Dan

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Guess that I'm one of the few that actually drives his Viper and has worn out two sets of tires. Just completed my 2009 project Viper and plan to put on 4000 miles by years end. That would be about half the life of the PS2's.

Rocket,

There are a few of us that actually put some serious miles on our Vipers. Since 2004, I have put about 50K miles on my 2004, about 30K miles on my 06, about 15K miles on my 09 ACR and put over 35K miles on my 01 GTS ACR before I sold it.

Out here in So Cal, we drive and track our cars all year, so some of us get a bunch of "seat time". Unfortunately, in other parts of the country, most Vipers don't get driven very many miles every year due to the weather.

Dan

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dan

True, the PS2s are stickier and true the PSSs last longer. For doing track days (not racing), the PSS would still be my choice. I might as well save a few bucks by not having to buy tires so often. After all I really don't care whether I do a 2:04 or a 2:01 lap. I wonder how long Michelin will continue to make the PS2 though.

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In my opinion the sport cups are for the occasional track day and auto cross. As far as street tires
They leave a lot to be desired. They are very stiff tires for the street, the PS2 tires are a much better tire for the street, and they do well at the track. PS2 On the street are much more complient and soften the ride for the street. On the flip side that is a bit of a disadvantage for the track. I decided not to get a set of cups from tire rack because they are just not good all around street tires. I'll go with PS2 or SS for the next set. Note: I don't use my street tires for the track, I have a set of track wheels and tires for that. There is no point in using street tires for the track or track tires for the street. Unless y ou like to waist money on tires!

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course the track record is a 2:05. :D
If your speaking of HPR (by your location and lap time average) I run a 2:06 with Sport Cups, and my car is a 'lame gen III'. ACR's have gotten down to 1:55ish. I think the actual 4-wheel track record is somewhere around 1:43. But that is with an open wheel F-1 type car with a pro driver. -it's posted in the registration trailer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4