Pivot bar removal

scuderia47

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Trying to remove the pivot bar nuts of the upper control arm, but having difficulty getting them to budge. There's rust, of course, so I soaked them overnight with wd40. It's tough to get good leverage in that spot...mostly because I can't get the lower shock bolt off because the head is facing forward and hits the vertical sway bar link (seems like this bolt should be facing the other direction). Is there a good way to get the vertical sway bar link off while keeping the control arms on the car? Also, any advice for getting those pivot bar nuts off, besides elbow grease and bruised knuckles?

Thank you in advance,
Bill

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two ways I get to mine - to/from track outings:
1) 7/8 combination wrench plus a 13/16 or 15/16 box thru the open end of the 7/8 for leverage to break them loose. Reach up from the bottom wishbone - not easy.

2) A 7/8 x 1/2" drive torque adapter, a long 1/2" extension and a breakover bar. I can't remember if I took the rotor off first for access. Easier.

Use either one of these options to bust the nuts loose, then follow with a 7/8" ratcheting box end wrench. 140 lb-ft on those nuts mean they are among the highest torque anywhere on the car. You don't want them the slightest bit loose due to dynamic loading.

Attachments

• torque adapter.JPG
    torque adapter.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Before doing anything radical, I would suggest that you use a real penetrating oil such as Kroil, Schaffer's Penetro 90, PB Blaster...and soak it often over a couple of days. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dsalameh