Plan to order T/A this week...questions about pros/cons of color choices

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking for opinions on the color choices as far as overall desirability and ease of resale when (if?) I want to buy something else.

Crusher Orange is the signature color for the T/A. It's used exclusively on the T/A, used for the Laguna Seca record, and used exclusively for promotion ever since, well until last week when journalists saw the black and white. It's in your face bold, **** and completely unapologetic. While that's great for grabbing attention leading up to its market launch, and would be cool much of the time, I'm not sure it will be as easy to live with over the long term. I can't imagine trying to go anywhere and park it without drawing a crowd, and a lot of unwanted attention. I'm paranoid leaving a couple of my other cars unattended as it is, and an orange T/A is sure to be 10 times worse. Owners may be rewarded at resale time if it's still considered a desirable color, or it could date the car as a 2014, with the newer and improved T/As shown in other unique colors.

Black is classy and blends in easier. It wouldn't draw as much attention when parked discretely, or when you're cruising around with the wife and would rather be stealth about it. Better color for track days where rubber marks won't show so much before you can spend a couple of hours removing them all. Black was popular on the ACR, and its a classic performance car color that will never go out of fashion.
the downside to me is that the black wheels and CF don't accent or enhance the black paint as much as the other colors.

White looks great with the CF and black wheels accenting it, but would be the hardest to clean after a track day.

So I think my preference is now leaning from orange to black, and if I wanted to I guess I could always buy a second set of Viper wheels in another finish and mount street friendly tires, saving the Corsa for the track.

Thoughts???, and thanks.

Bruce

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A lot of what you say makes sense. I have a black 2003 'vert, and it just looks understated, but mean. And I get plenty of compliments about it wherever I take it. However, I also have a 2007 Detonator Yellow Superbee SRT8, one of the most "in your face" colors around. After 7 years now, it still hasn't gotten "old". It does draw attention though and after all these years, I still get questions about the car when I get gas! More so than when I fill up the Viper Other "in your face" Viper colors, like SSG and Toxic Orange, also are still "aging" well, and two of the most desirable colors.

If I were buying the TA I would go for the orange, no doubt in my mind. But, you will get multiple questions wherever you go!

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A "stealthy" Viper doesn't exist. Go for orange - the Viper is meant to be outrageous.

If someone is going to mess with it, color won't matter much to that type, they will still seek it out.

I park my white SRT everywhere and haven't has any issues (yet), but around here $100k cars are the norm it seems.

Get orange!! (Mainly because I plan to have mine repainted that color, I am biased)

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd go for orange, Bruce. You're going to want to wrap key areas with clear wrap and every seam or bubble will really show on black. I discovered that tar and bug remover takes rubber marks off with ease, so that wouldn't be much of a factor for me. The orange will also hide all the little scratches and chips better than black. Plus I think it is gorgeous in orange. It is the signature color of the Viper that broke the Laguna Seca track record. I think that makes it more special. If I were to buy a used TA in the future, it would be orange for that reason.

New Sidewinder II's can be had for about $2500 a set, so buy an extra set for the street!

Zee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Enough said...

You must be registered for see images attach

former345bhpLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buying a dark colored Viper (black, gunmetal, blue, etc) is a bit like covering a spotlight with a bedsheet...yes it tones things down, but not that much.

I would buy the color that looks best to your eyes and not worry about the secondary issues, especially the attention part. I remember seeing a black 99'ACR running around my home town of Dayton, OH 13 years ago. The shape, extreme width, and general proportions made it stick out like a sore thumb, even in black. Plus, you're the one who will be looking at it the most, pick the color that raises your pulse, not one that lowers it.

My 2 cents.

-Nick

OP
OP
Bruce H.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts guys. I'm starting to think you guys rather like the orange! Seems to me they could run out of that first, even though they're making 3 times as many as black and white. I imagine they'll release the T/A in more colors in time. I think billet silver would be terrific with all the CF and matte black wheels.

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Each colour gives the Viper a different personality, but they all look great! Are T/As available in Canada, or are you ordering from the States?

OP
OP
Bruce H.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Each colour gives the Viper a different personality, but they all look great! Are T/As available in Canada, or are you ordering from the States?
They are indeed available in Canada, but in pretty limited quantities. US warranty likely would not be effective in Canada, so I'll definitely buy up here.

Bruce

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The orange is sweet no doubt but I will have to say that the black paint on my 08 is the best I have seen on any car. I have to disagree with Todd on the seams on a clear bra showing, especially on a solid black car. With a capable installer, not an issue. And what are you thinking doubting if the black wheels will look good on a black car ;). I took polished off and put black on and it totally transformed the look from super sweet to bad ass IMO :2tu:

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good to know that clear wrap works ok on black. My installer told me that some guys won't do black because it shows imperfections. But I love black as well, my two previous performance cars were black. I've just never wrapped one.

Bruce, go with your heart on this one!

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
White is the hardest to wrap, due t some brands yellowing over time. Black is pretty easy.

T/A gotta be orange, for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets