Polishing raised Aluminum Letters on valve covers?

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very interesting suggestions....funny, I just posted a question about the same subject...guess I should have looked harder :crazy2:

Anyway, my car spent its life in Florida - hot, humid and lots of salty air...all of which contributes to hwat appears to be deeper corrusion.

I tried polishing and all that got off was the surface oxidation...still doesn't look nice. I am going to lightly try the sandpaper and see what happens.

Will try to take pics.

Thanks.

Peter

'98 RT/10, Red

:usa:FIREFIGHTERS SAVE LIVES AND PROPERTY:usa:

SUPPORT TATORS DODGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So here are the pictures, the Viper name on the valve cover - same condition for all - and the three polished areas on top of air intake. You can see the first two I tried to clean up, didn't work well, while the one at the top of the photo is how it was before I touched it...kind of white looking.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks.

Peter

'98 RT/10, Red

SUPPORT TATORS DODGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, but once you polish the letters, how do you bring back the paint color, as the after picture looks much better?

Thanks.

Peter

1998 RT/10, Red

SUPPORT TATORS DODGE!!!!!!!!!!!

D

DAMN YANKEE

Here is the problem you are confronting....all of the techniques to do everything you want to do are laid out in the Illestrated Guides...all if it.

But, there is an issue...your are not a VCA member yet. So you can't access the numerous articles and guides that you need now...and will need later. So...what to do??? Join VCA, help us out on this site and get the info you need.

JOIN VCA, IT WILL BE WORTH IT!

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, as a matter of fact, I just sent in the application and check for NY/CT Region. :headbang: So, eventually I will have access to all the technical guides...meanwhile, my fingers hurt :crazy2: from trying to sand (1500 grit) and buff out...with not too much luck. It seems that Florida has caused (what looks to me as) deep oxidation. this has also caused some discoloration or fading of the painted areas (particularly on the valve covers) and some bubbling.:dunno:

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Peter

1998 RT/10, Red

SUPPORT TATORS DODGE!!!!!!!!!!!

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[Time for a new car! :drive:

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Peter

1998 RT/10, Red

SUPPORT TATORS DODGE!!!!!!!!!!! [/quote]

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang