Porting the Gen 1 throttle bodies.

Shanedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was wondering if you all reccomend porting the stock TB's on the Gen 1 cars. I have seen several places selling aftermarket ones for the Gen 1, and they say not to be used on the Gen 2's...why is that?

There is a guy here local that will port mine for about $150, does that sound fair?
How much power might I expect?
How much larger can I go?
Are there any possible problems I could get from doing this?

Thanks in advance.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never done it but I can tell you what I've heard most often.
I think most of the guys will say that it might give you a small top end power boost.
The downside is that it will hurt your lower end power.

The general advice will probably be not to do it.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A vaccum gauge added behind the left TB on my Gen 2 shows virtually no vacuum at WOT. Meaning the engine's getting all it wants through the stock TBs unless you're running a big cam or something to increase the vacuum..

I cleaned up the inlets a bit on mine for a little more CFM w/o disturbing the overall throttle response
You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
S

Shanedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So all and all it is probably not the best thing to do? I have done the intake and exhaust and was thinking this might be the next step, but now I have my doubts.

Thanks for your replies.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you do it in conjuction with 1.7 roller rocker, you may see a benifiy. I have a set of Gen I TB's that I was going to use on my 96 until I sold it. Stock is 58mm these are 62mm. I also have a set of Mopar RR(T&D's) in the classifieds if you want both. If you don't like the bigger TBs, you can always go back to the stockers.