Possible 2016 Supercharged

Flylow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, we have seen it - and thank you, for starting a new thread on this great news! - not that that is the only option forward. How about making the Viper lighter, keep the V10, no blower, show that great engine (rather than plastic covers), stick shift, analog instruments - then have at it. To hell with doing what Ferrari etc. is doing - you can't catch them by being a follower.

sunsalem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about making the Viper lighter, keep the V10, no blower, show that great engine (rather than plastic covers), stick shift, analog instruments - then have at it. To hell with doing what Ferrari etc. is doing - you can't catch them by being a follower.
Seriously?
I hope you realize that formula has been given a chance already (it's called the 2013-4 Gen5).:rolleyes:

Ferrari has a Waiting List....Vipers sit on dealer lots.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
About Freakin' Time!
Don't even come out with a 2015. Let it pause and release the 2016 in May of next year, or only make 90% TA 2.0's. During the spring, give the car mags the BEST prototype HellSnake to drive and freakin' stick Trofeo's on there for the sake of Pete. If they really came out with 800HP and put a DCT in it, I would skip the R36 and buy this... Assuming sub 3 sec to 60 like the 12C.

Last edited:

sunsalem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
About Freakin' Time!
Don't even come out with a 2015. Let it pause and release the 2016 in May of next year, or only make 90% TA 2.0's.
Agreed.
It's back to the drawing board for a rethink & a reboot.
It is the only way for the car to survive in the modern era.

I firmly believe Dodge has the tools to make it work.:2tu:

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I doubt we will see a DCT in this gen Viper but 770+hp will be nice. Dodge knows how to make the Viper dominant handling-wise so I'm not overly worried about the added weight of the SC.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not sure there are any DCTs in-house at all of Fiat-Chryslers that could put up with the punishment of the Viper V10, especially on boost. Ferrari units might be able to deal with the horsepower, but I doubt they'd like all the torque 8+ liters puts out. Guessing it would take a completely new unit, which can't be cheap, so likely not on the horizon any time soon with such small volume. I could be wrong, but that's just how I see it right now. I guess they could torque limit the engine to keep parts alive, but that seems like it takes some of the fun out of it. Why make something that powerful just to limit it?

sunsalem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not sure there are any DCTs in-house at all of Fiat-Chryslers that could put up with the punishment of the Viper V10, especially on boost. Ferrari units might be able to deal with the horsepower, but I doubt they'd like all the torque 8+ liters puts out.
This one might:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaFerrari

I guess they could torque limit the engine to keep parts alive, but that seems like it takes some of the fun out of it. Why make something that powerful just to limit it?
That's a possibility too.
Increase HP, reduce torque.

netapp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is definately not going to help sales of current stock. If I was in the market for a new viper, I would have to wait to see if the rumor is true.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not sure there are any DCTs in-house at all of Fiat-Chryslers that could put up with the punishment of the Viper V10, especially on boost. Ferrari units might be able to deal with the horsepower, but I doubt they'd like all the torque 8+ liters puts out. Guessing it would take a completely new unit, which can't be cheap, so likely not on the horizon any time soon with such small volume. I could be wrong, but that's just how I see it right now. I guess they could torque limit the engine to keep parts alive, but that seems like it takes some of the fun out of it. Why make something that powerful just to limit it?

Agreed....

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As much as I'd love to see 750+ NA HP from a bone stock Viper the development costs prohibit it from happening now. A SC Viper from the factory really is the only realistic option.

My hope is they offer it complete car included. Not some prefix tack on where the option cost is astronomical. Roll it into a model just like the hell cat.

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score

They need to coop with Lamborghini and their aftermarket tuners then. Plenty of TT Gallardos with insane torque running E-gears. Not sure what mods the transmissions have but it's doable.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This would be fabulous. I hope Its true....would definitely Inject a point of difference that Is unsubtle enough for all to take note of.......

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
This one might:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaFerrari

That's a possibility too.
Increase HP, reduce torque.

Didn't think about that one, but still looks like it might be a tad short. Max torque on that setup is ~660, which is practically what the Viper makes now. AMG would probably be a good place to look, I know they like making torque monsters as well. Not sure what other cars out there have 600+ ft-lbs. Guessing FI Vipers make 800+ (on aftermarket setups at least) or am I way off?

As for the Lambo comment, it would be interesting. Technically speaking I've known people to put 1000+ hp and torque through stock T56s and they hold up (for a while at least), but a lot of that has to do with understanding the power and proper application and treatment. Rolling into the throttle and knowing your traction conditions can make all the difference to the longevity of parts. Unforunately there's no way an OEM can sell something you have to "baby" like that. It has to put up with the worst possible conditions all the time and like it. 5 grand clutch drops with sticky tires at full boost is a tall order for any kind of durability. You can build up a T56 to be stupidly strong, but I think with that kind of power you're still in ticking time bomb territory with regular rebuilds, not something I think an OEM can sell nowadays.

Would be fun if they sold something crazy as a "body in white" kind of deal for Vipers like the Drag Pack Challengers of today and old Super Stock Darts of yesteryear. "Warrantied until you turn the key", lol. Do something like a full aftermarket computer already installed that's tunable and essentially sell it as the "mod friendly" car.

adprokid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe they can get more from that V10 n/a, maybe its the time and cost :dunno:? not sure if a low boosted Viper will be ok for the track guys ?

ViperDC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe they can get more from that V10 n/a, maybe its the time and cost :dunno:? not sure if a low boosted Viper will be ok for the track guys ?

No one cares what "track guys" want. They don't buy enough cars. The average buyer wants big power numbers to go fast in a straight line and tell their friends about. See: Hellcat

A factory supercharged Viper would be amazing and they would sell plenty.

ViperDC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, and I hear they are TOTALLY satisfied with them......

From the people that I haven spoken with about tracking their Gen V, they love them and they kick ass on the track so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From the people that I haven spoken with about tracking their Gen V, they love them and they kick ass on the track so I'm not sure what you're talking about.
I'm sorry. What I meant to say was that I hear they are TOTALLY satisfied with them....

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your going to make a supercharged Viper...OEM...you can only make two to three hundred. You must have a press conference and announce that $hit. If the car is TRULY limited, people will flock to order and gladly pay what the faack ever above MSRP. The company may lose millions but who cares...they have a "world ******" again and the press alone would recoupe any lost money in future sales by revitalizing the brand AND the halo car.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An "Arrow" modified Viper would only cheapen the brand. It HAS to be OEM.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw that Prefix GenV vert for sale on EBay for $170k. What a joke. We're it OEM....not so much a joke.

Bildad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn't think about that one, but still looks like it might be a tad short. Max torque on that setup is ~660, which is practically what the Viper makes now. AMG would probably be a good place to look, I know they like making torque monsters as well. Not sure what other cars out there have 600+ ft-lbs. Guessing FI Vipers make 800+ (on aftermarket setups at least) or am I way off?.

AMG does indeed make TQ monsters. The V12 biturbo makes 740 ft/lbs stock mated to their 7g tronic. The V8 biturbos come with 660 ft/lbs stock in the SL63 and S63 models running on the 7-MCT transmission. Many of these have been modded making well over 700 ft/lbs at the wheels with no issues on the stock transmission. Their upcoming 9 speed is rated for 740 ft/lbs on paper. They do sell their transmissions. Porsche used to use their 5 speed in the 996 and 997.1 turbo before switching to the PDK in the 997.2. The only problem is none of these are DCTs. AMG does have a DCT but they admit it can't handle the TQ of the big turbo motors. None of the DCTs like the Porsches PDK, BMW's, or Audi's DCT can handle much over 500 ft/lbs. There are DCTs that can handle more in exotic cars like the Bugatti Veyron's DCT, but the transmission is big, heavy, and costs more than an entire Viper. Until there's a more mainstream DCT that can handle the extra TQ you might be stuck with a regular automatic. Which might not be so bas autos have come a long way. The ZF 8 speed is highly rated for example.

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the best news EVER !!!

Looks like Viper is getting a pardon from death row !!!!

Again, this is the best news ever.......Horsepower sells like nothing else , Period.

If dodge supercharges the Viper sales will pick up for sure

I am all giggly.

Please Ralph just promise that you will have the tester car inspected with a fine tooth comb before it goes to the magazines for testing

Ladies and gentile men we soon,hopefully, will have a WINNER

The god ole days are back ( if this info is accurate).

And I think it is accurate because new gen mustang GT500 Shelby has to top or match challengers/chargers HP to compete sales wise, so Viper must also compete for top dog status.

God bless America

sunsalem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No one cares what "track guys" want.
Sergio ONCE UPON A TIME cared...until Vipers started sitting around on dealer's lots (possibly the main reason why he pulled Ralph's SRT initiative back).

AMG does indeed make TQ monsters. The V12 biturbo makes 740 ft/lbs stock mated to their 7g tronic. The V8 biturbos come with 660 ft/lbs stock in the SL63 and S63 models running on the 7-MCT transmission. Many of these have been modded making well over 700 ft/lbs at the wheels with no issues on the stock transmission. Their upcoming 9 speed is rated for 740 ft/lbs on paper. They do sell their transmissions. Porsche used to use their 5 speed in the 996 and 997.1 turbo before switching to the PDK in the 997.2. The only problem is none of these are DCTs. AMG does have a DCT but they admit it can't handle the TQ of the big turbo motors. None of the DCTs like the Porsches PDK, BMW's, or Audi's DCT can handle much over 500 ft/lbs. There are DCTs that can handle more in exotic cars like the Bugatti Veyron's DCT, but the transmission is big, heavy, and costs more than an entire Viper. Until there's a more mainstream DCT that can handle the extra TQ you might be stuck with a regular automatic. Which might not be so bas autos have come a long way. The ZF 8 speed is highly rated for example.
A Viper paddle shifter does not necessarily have to be a DCT.

Here are some reviews of the 8 speed trans. going into the new Z06:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...e_stingray_eight_speed_automatic_first_drive/
http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/2015-corvette-stingray-eight-speed-automatic-first-drive
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/08/20/2015-chevrolet-corvette-stingray-review-quick-spin/
http://www.autoguide.com/manufacturer/chevrolet/2015-chevrolet-corvette-stingray-review-4080.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper