Powdercoating a section of a part then anodizing remaing exposed metal?

heath1225

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I want black valve covers with red Viper lettering. I dont want to hand paint the letters. Would it be possible to powdercoat the valve covers in black, machine the powdercoat off the letters, then anodize the whole thing to make the letters red? I guess I could mask off the letters then powdercoat them red after doing the black, but this option would be easier if it could work. I just wonder if the anodizing would affect the powercoat. Thanks!

intense5.5

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about powdercoating them black, then sanding and painting the lettering? Maybe in candy?

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or buy some aftermarket stick-on letters, paint them red and put them on the powdercoated valve covers...

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are people that can do multi-color powder coating jobs...I'll send you a PM with an idea.

OP
OP
H

heath1225

Viper Owner
Reaction score
These are gen 4 coil covers and I am not powdercoating them myself.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can powdercoat the valve cover and mask off the lettering you want, and It looks like this (in next post)

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, I guess as an enthusiast I can't post pix. Too bad since the GA club has officially engaged both organizations in an attempt to see which they'd recommend for the GA members. Seemed like y'all jumped the gun on dissing us. Oh well.

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was it difficult to mask off the letters?

They were coated then the letters were sanded down. Then clear powdercoat. I took them to several local powdercoaters who refused to mask or sand the letters (well, one company would do it for a ridiculous stack of cash) because of the complexity of the lettering and the low relief of the lettering. I finally sent them to Justin at JMB, and you see the result above. Done well and cheap.

OP
OP
H

heath1225

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I took Steve's suggestion and I am sending them to Phoenix Specialty Coatings.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I saw their YouTube video advertisement. Impressive, if they deliver that kind of product & quality on a regular basis. Please post results.

OP
OP
H

heath1225

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I spoke to her on the phone for about 15-20 minutes and she seems like a great lady and is very enthusiastic about what she does. Very cool lady. I will post results, but it will probably be awhile before I get them back.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I Redid my Valve covers. Stripped, Sandblasted and Powder Coated with Red Wrinkle. I then Masked the Valve cover and Sanded the lettering to expose the Aluminum.
Where did you get the powder from and what color/code ? How well did it match OEM? I have some old valve covers with terrible finish that I just use for garage art; but, I have hobbyist powder coating capability, so, I'm interested.

Last edited:

WSAYERS80

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Where did you get the powder from and what color/code ? How well did it match OEM? I have some old valve covers with terrible finish that I just use for garage art; but, I have hobbyist powder coating capability, so, I'm interested.__________________________________________________________
Jim - 2002 GTS ACR -- sold-- ( enthusiastic custodian for 8 years )
I will Find Out. I will upload a photo and show you the finished product. Originally they were painted. Powder Coating isn't Paint but I will find out the Brand for you. Its gonna take a few hours to do correctly so take your time.
You must be registered for see images attach

CudaChick1968

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I saw their YouTube video advertisement. Impressive, if they deliver that kind of product & quality on a regular basis. Please post results.

Very cool...she's a good lady to work with.

I spoke to her on the phone for about 15-20 minutes and she seems like a great lady and is very enthusiastic about what she does. Very cool lady. I will post results, but it will probably be awhile before I get them back.

WOW, no wonder my ears were burning!!! :D First off, thank you all for the kind words and fantastic compliments! It's an honor to be on board and to have a chance to get to work with a few of you already. If Steve and Heath are an indication of the caliber of members around here, I can tell at the outset that it's going to be terrific and I'm going to enjoy the heck out of this place.

AZTVR, thank you for checking out my Introduction Movie! I just finished it on December 22 and it's already had over 1600 views. Straight up though, there isn't much "they" around here -- it's just me and Billy, and he helps me out with some light prep, welds up jigs when I need them, and handles most of the shop maintenance; everything else is all on me. You can rest assured that everything I touch will receive the same attention to detail, careful craftsmanship and quality that you saw in the video. I was merely an enthusiast and restorer long before I was ever a business owner and if I wouldn't put my work on my own car then I'd NEVER ask you to put it on yours.

Anyway ladies and gentlemen, thanks again for the mentions and for having an opportunity to earn your business. I look forward to getting my toes wet around here, getting to know you all, and having a hand in some of these fine rides. Don't ever hesitate to hit me up if you want to go over details, have questions, or just bench race a little bit -- I love it all!!! :D

P.S. edit: Whoops, I forgot to tell you I've approached Member Services about offering a labor discount to ya'll but haven't had a chance to talk with anyone yet to get an arrangement formalized. If it comes through, you'll be the next to know!

Last edited:

Real_Venom

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've had a couple Valve covers powder coated. If you are looking for Gen III covers I have these for sale.

You must be registered for see images attach

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those are '06 covers right? The '03-'04 covers had the vent tubes in the rear so it would take some adapting to get those to work on the earlier gen 3's.

Real_Venom

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Those are '06 covers right? The '03-'04 covers had the vent tubes in the rear so it would take some adapting to get those to work on the earlier gen 3's.

Yes they are 06 covers. I did not know they changed it up. Thanks for pointing that out. Wonder what the conversion would cost in parts?