Power Steering Fluid squirting under the hood at the Las Vegas Road Course

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While at the Vegas track a week ago, I started blowing power steering fluid under the hood. Saw some smoke and pulled it off track, cleaned it all out, tightened down a hose clamp that looked loose and went at it again -- same thing happened after a couple of laps. Figured it was coming from the cap some how. Checked fluid levels, busted out some duct tape and taped the shiat out of the lid and continued racing with no problems. Anybody ever have a leaky cap on their power steering?

OP
OP
M

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought that might be it, but after duct taping the entire cap area, it stopped leaking/squirting and I raced the car for two more sessions. I say squirting because it was all over the underside of the hoot above the power steering cap and hose.

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Some guys run a piece of hose off the top of the p/s cap to a breather of some sort. Make sure your cap is very tight.
Also the pin hole leak thing happened to me and was kinda squirting up to the inside of the hood, the only way I could see it leak was to open the hood the turn the wheel full lock to "shock" the pressure and it would squirt out. The hose is EASY (20 minutes) to replace and is only about $50 bucks.
Cheers,

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of our members sells a real nice kit to help with this "pesky" ps fluid biz. I go out and get the info from my kit unless someone here jumps in with it

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased a powersteering cap overflow bottle
(it attaches right to your current cap) from Autoform (site sponser).
Very easy install and cheap insurance from fire.

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do a search of the site- you will see quite a few posts concerning this problem- in fact a yellow RT caught fire on the way home from the dealer and was burned to a crisp :(

Jay Lopez

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can also get a bigger power steering cooler from Sean Roe. I have one and haven't boiled the steering fluid since I installed it.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My company, HiPo Engineering, created a high quality, very easy and cheap (no Viper tax) solution to this problem. It's just frustrating that it's taken so long to get a web company to complete our webpage. I won't say two more weeks again because I'll just jinx it. Anyone interested can send me a mail note and we will work out a payment until we can release our webpage and take credit card orders.

HiPo Engineering - Power Steering Vent Tube
Problem: OEM cap and reservoir design, materials, temperature changes and vibration allow expansion and contraction of fitting. Eventually, cap becomes loose and fluid spills onto side of reservoir and headers or manifold. Power steering fluid is extremely flammable. Cap falls on headers or manifold and starts an engine compartment fire.

Solution: HiPo Engineering Power Steering Vent Tube
-Requires no modification to OEM equipment; Easy on and off, only minutes to install
-All materials are of the highest quality available. Kit includes:
oSteel .028 tubing plated in nickel or chrome
oViton rubber seal fitting compatible with power steering fluid
oStainless steel hose clamps
oRated for wide temperature variations in engine compartment
-Custom bent metal tubing wraps along side of reservoir and does not allow cap to turn
-Arch on tube prevents fluid leakage during hard cornering, accelerating or autocross events
-Fluid making it up and through tube is safely routed to bottom of reservoir away from headers
-Metal tubing allows unrestricted venting of reservoir – no kinks
-Does not impede hood clearance

Some have tried to solve by simply attaching rubber hose bought at a local hardware store. Risks include:
-Hose properties incompatible with fluid causing deterioration and unpredictable failure
-Kinking of hose around bends or at clamps causing failure in reservoir venting

This product solves a long standing problem and dresses up your engine at the same time. Chrome for those who have added those custom touches or nickel to match your intake stripes and provide that OEM stock look.

Fits all 1992 – 2002 Vipers
$19.95 plus tax/shipping
Please choose Nickel or Chrome
271Reduced_682-thumb.JPG

271Reduced_687-thumb.JPG

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have an oil cooler to begin with? Maybe the fluid is too old and boiling out.

-Lou

RT/ED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
EVERY VIPER OWNER SHOULD PAY VERY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THIS THREAD. If you have ever seen a picture of burnt out viper because the power steering cap came lose, you would jump on this easy and inexpensive fix to the problem. I purchased the HI-PO Engineering solution the moment I seen it. I met Craig at an auto show earlier this year. Craig did a whole bunch of research before designing and selling his fix to this problem. This kit has the highest quality components, removable clamps, etc. Buy the kit from Craig and sleep at night! :usa:

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
GREAT product! I check my cap after every drive. The guy that had the yellow R/T that burned up was in our club. I've never had a problem, however, $20 for safety and peace of mind while driving is a no brainer. Craig, sent you a PM! :D

OP
OP
M

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My cap isn't coming off. It's squirting through the top. I am going to have West Coast Viper check it out and perhaps install cooler or whatever they recommend.

I'm still confused though -- Dodge created a power steering cap that has a little hole at the top to release pressure, without that cap going to anything? That doesn't make sense to me.

Peter-RedGTS'98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a large rubber cup and adjustable metal band at Home Depot plumbing department. Cost about $6 for both. Installation takes 1 minute. The top of the cap is flexible enough to allow some movement up and down to reduce the pressure. After 6 months, no problem at all. I can sleep without problems – there is no way the cap can move out.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
My company, HiPo Engineering, created a high quality, very easy and cheap (no Viper tax) solution to this problem. It's just frustrating that it's taken so long to get a web company to complete our webpage. I won't say two more weeks again because I'll just jinx it. Anyone interested can send me a mail note and we will work out a payment until we can release our webpage and take credit card orders.

HiPo Engineering - Power Steering Vent Tube
Problem: OEM cap and reservoir design, materials, temperature changes and vibration allow expansion and contraction of fitting. Eventually, cap becomes loose and fluid spills onto side of reservoir and headers or manifold. Power steering fluid is extremely flammable. Cap falls on headers or manifold and starts an engine compartment fire.

Solution: HiPo Engineering Power Steering Vent Tube
-Requires no modification to OEM equipment; Easy on and off, only minutes to install
-All materials are of the highest quality available. Kit includes:
oSteel .028 tubing plated in nickel or chrome
oViton rubber seal fitting compatible with power steering fluid
oStainless steel hose clamps
oRated for wide temperature variations in engine compartment
-Custom bent metal tubing wraps along side of reservoir and does not allow cap to turn
-Arch on tube prevents fluid leakage during hard cornering, accelerating or autocross events
-Fluid making it up and through tube is safely routed to bottom of reservoir away from headers
-Metal tubing allows unrestricted venting of reservoir – no kinks
-Does not impede hood clearance

Some have tried to solve by simply attaching rubber hose bought at a local hardware store. Risks include:
-Hose properties incompatible with fluid causing deterioration and unpredictable failure
-Kinking of hose around bends or at clamps causing failure in reservoir venting

This product solves a long standing problem and dresses up your engine at the same time. Chrome for those who have added those custom touches or nickel to match your intake stripes and provide that OEM stock look.

Fits all 1992 – 2002 Vipers
$19.95 plus tax/shipping
Please choose Nickel or Chrome
271Reduced_682-thumb.JPG

271Reduced_687-thumb.JPG

Craig,
Just in case, you wouldn't happen to have any under hood video under extreme driving conditions with underhood temperature readings to prove that your tube prevents the cap from coming loose and when overflow is vented it clears all things hot before exiting to the ground would you??? Just trying to head off vipah and more of his "magic beans" bull $hit! :rolleyes: :smirk:

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Devildog, No videos but the stainless clamps hold the vent tube along side of the reservoir. The cap/tube can't spin around the reservoir, they hit the side.

Superbar, That's strange to have constant fluid squirting out the vent hole. I'm certain you've checked the level on dipstick and changed the fluid(turkey baster) with factory fluid. The arch of the HiPo Engineering tube gives a few more inches to the top of the OEM ****** which helps in overflow but your situation is not normal.