Power steering gave out

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if it’s an issue or the norm......

Pulling up to my garage, to back it in, and the power in the power steering started giving out. Not sure if it was a sign of the power steering getting ready to go or just the engine temporarily taking power for a/c and rpm. So far no leaks and it seems to have oil. Never happened before.

Anybody else experience this?

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes I have many SRT P/S issues here!! :evilmad: The pumps do go bad but before you change the pump, try changing the fluid first. That has fixed many! :cool:

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Chuck. Are you saying bad fluid is killing the pump? And is changing the fluid something I should do or just have Dodge do it?

2005 Silver SRT/10

MK2_Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That pump also powers the fan for the radiator. Keep an eye out for any overheating when the car is not moving.

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The same thing happened to me, intermittently. It will become more common over the next month or so if it follows the pattern I experienced. I had the pump replaced and that fixed it.

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this is not a viper, But my power steering pump went out in my f350 power stroke. I had it replaced, and the tech replaced the fluid with ATF, and told me to use it from now on. Its easier on the pump, so far so good. What do you think CHUCK!!.

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before it was just making some moaning sounds. Now it doing a plastic grinding sound.

The fluid is low. Almost down halfway. I’d like to top it off and see if that’s the cure. The manual insist on Mopar fluid or it’s equivalent. Anybody know what that is. I have a service manual and it’s doesn’t say in that either.

Any help would be greatly appreciating. It’s Sunday, but I’d like to get it topped off today.

2005 Silver SRT/10

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before it was just making some <font color="red"> </font> . Now it doing a plastic grinding sound.

The fluid is low. Almost down halfway. I’d like to top it off and see if that’s the cure. The manual insist on Mopar fluid or it’s equivalent. Anybody know what that is. I have a service manual and it’s doesn’t say in that either.

Any help would be greatly appreciating. It’s Sunday, but I’d like to get it topped off today.

2005 Silver SRT/10
Are you sure the moaning sound isnt comeing from you!!lol Those sounds dont sound promiseing, HMMM I just looked through my manual capacities, and it states for the power steering Reservoir ATF+4 Automatic Transmission fluid or EQUIVALENT. Hope that helps

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks on the the code, and yes I just found out it's ATF-4 fluid, and they don't carry it at the auto parts store. Looks like a trip to Dodge tomorrow.

The fluid color is pink and it doesn’t smell burnt.

The next trick is to drive it to Dodge, so they can see it to ORDER the power steering pump. Drive it back home, wait a few days for the call the pumps come it, and then drive it back. Each one way trip is about 30-45min. Drive. If the pump does go bad, there’s no fan to cool the engine, and I call Bubba to tow it.

Any ideas on how to avoid this run around. It’s all under warranty plus I bought the additional Max Care.

Thanks again for the help and advise.

2005 Silver SRT/10

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2003 vipers had a recall for a clip that was ether missing or came off in the hydraulic fan motor. If this happened I was told it could wipe out the PS.

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If its under warranty, wouldn't dodge tow it for free to there facility. I dont have the Max care, but planning on getting it myself.

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It doesnt have to be the mopar brand, just seams weird that a auto parts store doesnt have ATF-4 of another brand that would get you by for now.

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if Dodge would toe it or not. I'd just rather not risk some toe company with my baby if I don't have too.

I was told that the AFT-4 my only be availible threw Dodge. Don't know why.

2005 Silver SRT/10

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if Dodge would toe it or not. I'd just rather not risk some toe company with my baby if I don't have too.

I was told that the AFT-4 my only be availible threw Dodge. Don't know why.

2005 Silver SRT/10
I went to autozone to dump some used oil, and looked at there ATF, and on the shelf they had Valvoline ATF+4 and right on the bottle it stated (specifically for chrysler and dodge) I would have to say that it is equivalent to Mopar. hope that helps.

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to autozone to dump some used oil, and looked at there ATF, and on the shelf they had Valvoline ATF+4 and right on the bottle it stated (specifically for chrysler and dodge) I would have to say that it is equivalent to Mopar. hope that helps.

My autozone only had STP and some other no-name brand.

2005 Silver SRT/10

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

My autozone only had STP and some other no-name brand.

Don't you just love it when people say "thanks...I appreciate your effort to look at the PS fluids and pass the info. on to me!"? :rolleyes:

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty weird, 3.49 a quart, here in utah, autozone, checkers has the same thing for .20 cents cheaper, Had to get some Micro fiber towels, and checkers has them $1.50 cheaper than autozone. Yes I am a price shopper!! :smirk:

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have two auto parts stores near me and they both have lousy selections.

Thanks for the info twinturbo3150, my "No shiiiii......" meant " I can't believe the autozone I went too didn't have it".

2005 Silver SRT/10

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have two auto parts stores near me and they both have lousy selections.

Thanks for the info twinturbo3150, my "No shiiiii......" meant " I can't believe the autozone I went too didn't have it".

2005 Silver SRT/10
Ya I know what you meant, its all good!! :2tu:

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya I know what you meant, its all good!!

Cool, and thanks again. I think I'll stop at a few more auto parts stores on my way out to Dodge tomorrow.

2005 Silver SRT/10

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure now if the fluid is low now. It may be high, it’s like a 1/4” over the cold mark when cold.
It’s squeeling/grinding when turned all the way to the stop.

2005 Silver SRT/10

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m biting the bullet and taking my Viper to the big 5 star dealer in WPB, to change out the power steering. I’ll try and have them do the lowering caps as well, but we’ll see. They normally don’t like to fool with Non-Mopar mods.

I think they have a policy that they treat all their customers car the same no matter what they drive. Which mean my Viper will be treated with the same care as the 300,000 mile, never been washed or cared for, K car.

Wish me luck, I’ll drop it off Thursday then run home and sit by the phone for a few weeks.

If I thought it could make it, I’d drive the 2 1/2 hours to Macedo Motorsports and pay Larry cash &amp; screw the warranty.

2005 Silver SRT/10

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do wish you luck and it is a really sorry state of afairs when they treat our vipers like a Neon. These dealers need an education on how to treat people who buy a $90,000.00 Viper. We are not the same! Good Luck!
Robbie

By the way guys you can always ordee your fluids from Summir Racingt and the freight is free. See www.summitracing.com

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Power steering motor replaced. They said it was misaligned.

All in all it went very well. Fixed the same day and no hassles, and it’s great to be back behind the wheel.

2005 Silver SRT/10

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine