Power Steering Problem

Mr U-2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2001 GTS 19000 miles. Original Owner.
Power steering is very difficult when the car is stationary. OK underway.
Replaced PS fluid with MOPAR recommended. Problem seemed to be fixed but it reappeared again yesterday.
No leaks. PS fluid full. Belts/Pulley seem OK

Any ideas before I get my wallet out and take her to the Viper Tech?
Thanks...Paul

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Strange indeed. If fluid replace solves the issue temporarily one would think its not the pump. However, if there are no leaks I can't explain it. Hopefully someone who's had these symptoms can chime in.

OP
OP
M

Mr U-2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. I just checked it..no leaks. OK under way. Tire pressure 29...everything normal.

Paul

OP
OP
M

Mr U-2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to Parts Rack& Jon B.

Well the problem finally was revealed this morning. Cracked PS pulley. Called Jon B at Parts Rack. He took the time to walk me through the options and advise on the best solution. I ordered a new pulley and bracket and he sent it off immediately. Great price. Got it scheduled for repair next Thursday...I knew I should've replaced the OME pulley long ago but with no problems until recently I just blew it off. Word to the wise...listen to the members and replace the original. Fortunately mine finally came undone in the garage and not on some Virginia 2 lane county road. Thanks again Jon B.

P

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just received the power steering pulley and bracket kit from JonB Parts Rack. Com, its awesome, Thanks Jon, great service, great parts. anyone with a 1992 to 2002 Viper should have this kit. :usa:

OP
OP
M

Mr U-2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had mine installed yesterday. Looks great. Works great. Back to normal

Thanks again JonB....Paul Roberts