power steering question

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As of tonight, everytime i turn the wheels left or right, i get a clicking sound when i try to come back to straight. Car only has 3800 miles. Pump fluid is full. Ive never noticed this before, and im sure it was not there.
Not hitting the limits when im turning either, happens after turning the wheel maybe 45% then when returning to straight i hear a immediate click. Almost like a dead spot in the feel of the steering wheel.
Sorry for the explanation, but very curious to hear the answers.

OP
OP
W

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I did not mention the fluid is 8 years old so thats my first move. It is the red stuff, not clear. Any suggestions on what you guys use. 2004 SRT

car-hor

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Apparently there is a fitting that leaks on the power steering housing. I've got a reddish orange color fluid leaking on mine and i think that's what it is. Do a search on power steering and a good thread pops up on the subject.

Michael

OP
OP
W

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have no explanation for this, but out of no where the clicking sound is completely gone. I am clueless to what this might of been. Maybe air in the system, no clue. All i did was remove the cap and check the fluid, which was find.
I swear this car has a mind of its own.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no explanation for this, but out of no where the clicking sound is completely gone. I am clueless to what this might of been. Maybe air in the system, no clue. All i did was remove the cap and check the fluid, which was find.
I swear this car has a mind of its own.

Maybe you just picked up a piece of trash off the road that got stuck near a tie rod bellows or something for a while.

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As of tonight, everytime i turn the wheels left or right, i get a clicking sound when i try to come back to straight. Car only has 3800 miles. Pump fluid is full. Ive never noticed this before, and im sure it was not there.
Not hitting the limits when im turning either, happens after turning the wheel maybe 45% then when returning to straight i hear a immediate click. Almost like a dead spot in the feel of the steering wheel.
Sorry for the explanation, but very curious to hear the answers.

I just picked my car up after having the pump replaced. It was exactly as you described. Another thing that happened to me was that the pump wasn't putting out enough volume and pressure to get the rad fan to run on high when the car got hot.

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The "red stuff" fluid is any Chrysler-approved ATF+4. 2003 SRTs were originally filled with Power Steering fluid but many have since been converted to ATF+4, which is the preferred fluid. The "quick disconnect" fittings on the power steering hoses can be a source of leaks and are a PITA in my opinion. Don't remove them if you do not absolutely need to. For changing the fluid you can pull out all the fluid from the reservoir with a Mity-Vac or other suitable fluid pump and refill, start the car and run the steering lock-to-lock a few times, then repeat. After 4-5 drain and fills you will have flushed more than 90% of the old fluid out. Takes less than 2 quarts to do this (but more than one quart).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang