Priciest speeding tickets.........

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love how the ad on the right of the article is for Geico. That made me laugh. I also love how no matter what your speed is in Delaware, the fine is $20!!!

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love how the ad on the right of the article is for Geico. That made me laugh. I also love how no matter what your speed is in Delaware, the fine is $20!!!

Who told you that?? I have no tickets but I live here and have never heard such a thing. Hey Bonkers, chime in here, you got a ticket lately didn't you?

Oops, I just saw where you got that info, but I don't think that is correct.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
No, that's the typical first time offenders fine (unless you're
like me whose first ticket was 112/50.) The thing they don't mention
is that there is a $50 Victims Fund "donation," a $20 Equipment
charge, $50 court fee, and $10 copy fee added to it... not to
mention and contempt charges you may recieve when finding out this
information, bail, or lawyer costs. My cheapest ticket was 26/25
(actually doing 26, not reduced) in Lewes about ten years ago - $77.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This list is complete and utter BS. In PA, the average speeding ticket will cost you about $125 to $175++. This includes all the taxes and other BS stuff you HAVE to pay. Therefore, I and everyone else considers this the cost of the ticket. In Ohio it is about the same.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got one for $160 a Loooooonnnnnng time ago in my Z28! :D
104 in a 55 Ooops!

And you stopped? :D LOL!

He caught be DEAD, he was actually in the median with his lights on about 1/4 mile in front of me. Nothing I could do!
Now if I was in my old TT GTS, well, I would have "thought" about that for a slight second! :D

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't imagine those are total caps though. States I know of tack on a reckless driving charge if you are going 15-20 over the speed limit, which can really jump up your fine.

Adam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got one for all of the following...on the same ticket

145 in a 55
reckless driving
improper passing
excessive speed

He stated that there was a few more things that he could get me for, as well as take me to jail. Then he asked me were I was going so fast and I told him I was on the way to church and I think that is why the cop never turned in the ticket.

BOGOTA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BLAHHHHHHH.. rookies.. Long Island Trooper dished out 8 Tickets to me last summer. told me to have a nice day.. Moral of the story is when a cop gives you that many tickets it only RED FLAGS it to the Traffis Judge as being all B.S and they all get dismissed with no attorney either.. DAMMMMM I was lucky..
Oh and 1 of the tickets was for having my GTS headlights on during the day, you believe that BS...

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got one for all of the following...on the same ticket

145 in a 55
reckless driving
improper passing
excessive speed

He stated that there was a few more things that he could get me for, as well as take me to jail. Then he asked me were I was going so fast and I told him I was on the way to church and I think that is why the cop never turned in the ticket.

Oh the way to church. Sounds like Chris Tucker's excuse. LOL!

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Chris-Tucker-in-a-Rush-Our-car-race-to-church-1892.shtml

prodiver

VCA Member
Reaction score
I know that the list is not correct for California. 4 Years ago I got a ticket for 65 in a 55 near Bakersfield in a company vehicle and it cost me $365.00 and $22.00 for traffic school and I had a clean driving record until then.

viperchick12

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well I run a dealer tag because we can have one personal car listed under the dealerships insurance policy... anyway, my boyfriend and I were in the Atlanta area (Forest Park) and on our way to the NOPI Nationals at the Atlanta Motor Speedway. We had actually stayed in College Park (off of I-85) and missed our turn onto (I-75) so we got off in Forest Park (on a 4 lane road with traffic flying by us) and headed back towards the speedway. It was about 7:15 a.m. on a Saturday morning (VERY early for me to even be awake on a Saturday) and I was driving. I stopped at a store because I had a migrane headache and so my boyfried (at the time and YES I am a female) said he wanted to drive the rest of the way. We pull out of the store (cars continuing to pass us constantly...) top and hill and I see this cop make a quick, sharp u-turn and I am like :curse: - I look over at the speedometer and it's somewhere between 45-50 - next thing I know the cop is behind us with his lights on... then before we get pulled over good another cop is there with his lights on. The cop walks up to door (we slide the window back)... and here it goes... (keep me mind we are only up this early because we needed to be at the speedway by about 8:00 a.m.)

COP: "excuse me sir... do you know how fast you were going"
BOYFRIEND: "about 46... maybe 47"
COP: "try 56"
ME: "do what? I know we were not going over 50 because I looked over at the speedometer"
COP: "would you like me to re-check my radar gun... it was just checked this morning and I know its accurate"
ME: "well... no I don't guess you should then"
COP: "sir may I have your drivers license and registration please"
BOYFRIED: "sure" and hands over all the info
COP: "remain here" and then leaves and goes back to his car
NO LIE... I TIMED IT BY THE CLOCK IN THE CAR... IT TOOK 46 MINUTES FOR THE COP TO COME BACK UP TO THE CAR (also keep in mind that because the car is listed under the dealership as a personal car and has a dealer tag, it is also covered by the dealerships insurance)
COP: "I believe this car is stolen" (this is when I become super :curse: off)
ME: "stolen? what are talking about... I gave you all of the registration"
(also note that on a fleet insurance policy its listed as tag # *** 101 - *** 104... depending on how many dealer tags you are issued and in this case I had like tag # *** 102)
COP: "yes... the tag on the registration does not match with the tag on the car"
ME: "sure it does... we were issued tag #'s *** 101 - *** 104"
AT THIS TIME HE KIND OF LEANS IN AS IF TO LOOK AT ME AND I HEAR THIS SOUND ON THE DOOR OF MY CAR AS IF A BUCKLE OR SOMETHING IS RUBBING UP AGAINST IT
ME: "I really hope you didn't just scratch my car... because if it is scratched I will be contacting your department about damages"
COP: after he backs up a little "well the only way I will not tow the car is if you (referring to me) drives because I just revoked his license
BOYFRIEND: "okay... well whatever" (keep in mind we have been here almost an hour by now) and goes to open door
COP: "remain in the vehicle" and slams the door shut
ME: "you have to be kidding me... this is ridiculus"
the cop leaves again and finally comes back after about 15 more minutes and tells us we can go

THIS STOP TOOK OVER 1 HOUR!!!!!

#1) He gave us three tickets... Speeding (56 in a 40), improper use of tag, and no proof of insurance
#2) He took my boyfriend's license and stated that they would not be released until a copy of the title, etc was faxed to the police station
#3) He made me drive again (even though I was complaining of blurred vision due to my headache)

IN CONCLUSION:
The tickets together we over $500. We ended up paying a $150 fine for the speeding ticket and my boyfriend was without his license for 2 days - they ended up dropping all of the other charges when the dealership got involved and we didn't even have to go to court to do it... the captain was very apologetic... I'm not sure if the cop got written up or not

I did think it was funny that about 30 pages were faxed from the dealership to prove that the car did belong to us... but honestly, if the cop REALLY thought the car was stolen and that we didn't have insurance or a legal tag then why did he let us go as long as I was driving??????

Legally we found out that of course the tag was legal and we actually had double insurance coverage

Anyway... we get the ticket and I look at it and it states:
Joyriding (again this is about 7:15 a.m. and we just passed over 2 interstates) by going 56 in a 45

When we went back to pick up my boyfriends license (with the Viper trailer behind us this time) the cop was standing outside... the cop inside the window just kind of shook his head (in a sense as I'm sorry... he's just a :buttkick: )

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cops harassing young people in a Viper on the way to Nopi (or really anyone on the way to nopi)??? I don't believe a word of it :D

But, over an hour?? I wouldve walked back to the car and made sure the cop hadnt died or something :confused:

You're right, if he had thought your car was stolen, you would've been arrested and have the car impounded. As for the scratching and slamming of your door, I would've ******* about it just for payback for the cop being a ****. Sounds like another case of Viper Jealously.

Also, how is 56 in a 45 "joyriding"? I have a nickname for 56mph...2nd gear :D Everytime I get in my Viper, its a joyride. I also find it amusing (or really scary) he MADE you drive when you had complained about blurred vision.

I do like the fact that obviously in GA, the new penalty for stealing a car is a suspended license. Ferrari Enzo here I come!! :D

viperchick12

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know... I thought about it later and I should have said...

"we were really going 56... I thought this thing would only go 55 in 1st"

The "joyriding" part just put the icing on cake... I was like... "hmmm... we passed by I-75 and got off of (it was either I-85 or I-285) to go joyriding down this 4 lane highway in Forest Park...

It didn't help that a bunch of other cars going to NOPI kept riding by shouting and giving us the :headbang: :2tu:

KERS-VPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was stopped 8 yrs ago in Delaware 73 in a 55 and it cost $50.

also stopped in Virginia around the same time 93 in a 55 and was given a warning. He told me it could have been a night or two in Jail. :bonker:

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was pulled over in Massachusetts in 2000 on Rte 495 doing 105 in a 65 (driving a 1997 C5 Corvette). Like the article said the fine was $350, plus $400.00 in court fees, plus $500 for my lawyer, plus safe driving school with the MA State Police Department (not very fun), plus 6 months probation.

Needless to say I try to keep in under 85mph around here.

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I was growing up in Montana, the fine on the highway was $5 and was called "wasting a natural resource", not speeding. As long as it wasn't reckless driving (doing 90+) the fine was $5, payable on the spot if you wished, and didn't go on your record. This was as late as the early 1990s.

Then, for a brief time, the speed limit went away (except at night where it stayed 65), being called "safe and prudent for existing conditions". Once again, this wasn't intended to allow idiots in a beat up truck to do 100 mph, but there were cases where performance cars got out of fines by going to court and showing proof of car conditions, road conditions, etc. I once saw in the newspaper that a Supra was doing 120 mph on the highway and got out of a fine since it was a clear day, light traffic, new tires, performance car, etc.

That didn't stay for long since the state would lose it's federal highway funds, so it went back to 80 or 85 mph.

But.......for a time, a $5 fine wasn't bad!

Viperchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buck sixty in a 55 this summer....street racing a lambo, reckless ops/street racing....arrested. Not fun. Made me sell the car. I'll never do that again :hitfan:

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Buck sixty in a 55 this summer....street racing a lambo,
reckless ops/street racing....arrested. Not fun. Made me sell
the car. I'll never do that again :hitfan:

Who made you sell the car? The state, the Mrs....? I had a similar
hit back in the day but the state (not to mention the insurance co)
was only interested in my money. ... and a non-volunteered weekend
of my time. In no way was I forced to give up property.

Viperchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buck sixty in a 55 this summer....street racing a lambo,
reckless ops/street racing....arrested. Not fun. Made me sell
the car. I'll never do that again :hitfan:

Who made you sell the car? The state, the Mrs....? I had a similar
hit back in the day but the state (not to mention the insurance co)
was only interested in my money. ... and a non-volunteered weekend
of my time. In no way was I forced to give up property.

I made an executive decision to sell it...everytime I took the damn car out I had a helicopter hovering above me....felt like Ray Liota in Goodfellas!!!!

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$120 dollars in June of 1970. I'm guessing the equivalent of close to $700 or so today. My brother and I had a MGC-GT (1 of 4,000 or so ever made) which was capable of 135 MPH. We covered almost 600 miles in just over 6 hours...all 2 lane roads...on our way to visit relatives in Canada. We like to say we averaged 100 MPH. ....18 years old and crazy.......maybe stupid would be a better term. On the return trip, on a Sunday morning, about 50 miles west of Duluth, MN, at warp speed, we passed an off duty cop heading the opposite direction. He radioed his compadres, and shortly thereafter we were apprehended. We had been clocked at 118 MPH, but the trooper wrote the ticket for "speeds in excess of 90" Justice was swift. We were immediately taken to a Justice of the Peace who lived about 10 miles away --- in a trailer. As the JP (probably 60 yrs old) was waiting for the trooper to finish his paperwork, he chatted amiably with us about life in the UP of Michigan and how he had hunted and fished there throughout the years. Being fresh out of high school, clean cut, and crew cuts to boot, we had the impression from the friendly banter with our new found bud, that we were going to see his softer side as he dealt Minnesota justice to us. We were sorely mistaken! As he perused the finished paperwork from the trooper, his demeanor and visage quickly changed. After no more than 10 seconds of study, he looked over the top of his bifocals and emphatically stated: "Well boys, that will be $120 dollars or 90 days in the Duluth County jail--effective immediately." Gas was $.20 a gallon then. We might have had $10-15 dollars between us to get home with. We managed to talk the trooper into allowing us to go to the Duluth County Airport where our dad was picking up our mother from visiting the same relatives in Canada in about an hour. That fortunate timing saved my brother from jail. As he was the criminal driver when we were stopped, he had to ride in the squad car to the airport and I followed. We did meet up with family at the airport, and in a way, I'm glad the cops were there 'cause our dad was not a happy camper. He saw my brother in the back of the squad car and once he ascertained that noboby was hurt..........Well, let's just say the word 'restrain' might be a little exaggerated.....but not by much! He didn't have $120 dollars either and had to have the money wired, after getting his local bank president to initiate the transfer on a Sunday morning.

Although my brother and I were paying monthly payments on this car ....the insurance, to that point, had been picked up by our parents. He took the car from us for a month and made me split the fine with my brother. Wages for us then were $1.20 per hour and we saving for college in the fall. Irregardless of inflation, $120 dollars at that point of my life was a heck of a lot more money than $700 is today. It was definitely an experience we have never forgotten and as time (several years) wore on it became a humorous story for all.

Steve

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was with my cousin (in his 10 second superchatged mustang) and he lives in upstate NY where the "back roads" are as straight as an arrow and more MILES, we got clocked doing 188 Mph in the 30 Mph Zone, of course we ended up getting pulled over when we slowed down to take a left, the cop went CRAZY called us every name in the book (kinda funny). If I remember right the ticket was 1. worth 9 points on his license (on a 10 point system) and 2. If I remember right over 400 bucks that hes STILL paying in payments LOL. I was actually shocked they didn't take his license.

The hell with those cops up there anyway they are the same ones that ripped my viper apart for "probal cause" (if thats how you spell it) which was only for the fact that I was 20 and drove a viper.