pulling out my cam tomorrow and need advice.

rich v.

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i am replacing my wiped out cam tomorrow with a new one that i got from jason heffner. i am wondering if there are any special tools that i will need for this. i'm thinking a puller? i have all the basics with wrenches and sockets and power tools, but i just didn't know if any one has done this and has any advise.
thanks

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you know how to dial a cam in?

I've used a degree wheel on the ones I've put in. I've never done a Viper cam though.

ROGUE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not a quick job what so ever. Heads have to come off, pretty much whole front of car as well. As far as actually changing it, pretty straight forward as any pushrod V8. Just make sure the timing chain marks line up before you pull the old one, and don't let the crank turn till the new one is in.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
heads don't _have_ to come off. If you have 20 magnets, you can get the lifters up w/o removing the heads. but you need to take your time if you are gonna do it that way.

Oh yeah, a few extra zip-ties help too!

JD

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can lower the transmission to angle the engine up and get the cam out without removing the frame in front of the engine.

How did the cam fail?

OP
OP
R

rich v.

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i have a post up about how the cam failed, broken pushrod and lifter, u know the rest. heads and intake are off. that is a good idea about the trans, i will try that.
also i have plenty of mechanical skill and experience, just have never done an actual cam swap yet. just about everything else from twin turbo's, many different blowers, motors, tran's, lift kits, etc...
thanks for the info guys!

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i am replacing my wiped out cam tomorrow

where did the metal particles end up? hopefully not in the crank bearings, oil pump, lifters etc.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What engine oil(s) are you guys with wiped out cams using ?

:confused:

OP
OP
R

rich v.

Viper Owner
Reaction score
the entire motor is apart, i have cleaned out or replaced everything that could have gotten metal particles. and i have to work today, so i guess tomorrow it is.

OP
OP
R

rich v.

Viper Owner
Reaction score
good news and bad news.
good news-cam is out!
bad news- now i need a A/C condenser. the cam does not come out with the condenser in. trying to wiggle it out, put a hole in the conderser! $%#$%^#^#$%!@% for about 20 minutes. after there was already a hole and all the r-134 came out, i was able to put several more holes in it!! got it out finally, ordered a new one for my cost of $577!! so then i proceeded with the old one to the street and got my $577 out of it with a shovel. :)
now for tomorrow we should be able to get the new cam in, front of the engine on, and possibly the heads. good luck to everyone trying this in the future

G

grcforce327

Gen II's must be different.With heads off,I can unbolt the motor mounts and jack it up and clear the top of the radiator support and pull it right out!Thanks to Chuck for that info! :headbang: