Purchasing a Viper that has been tracked?

1.8t

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am in the process of buying a 2009 Viper SRT Coupe VOI package with 3100 miles. The car looks flawless and the owner has assured me that everything is mechanically and asthetically as sound and perfect as it was from the factory. However, he did tell me today that the car has attended one track event and that the car was maturely driven, not beaten on, had no offs, etc. I guess I am just looking for re-assurance that I will be ok. I have asked for pictures of the tires so I can see how much they are worn(they look to be in great condition), which would relate to how hard the car was driven. I guess the ultimate point is I don't want to be paying a large sum of money for a vehicle that has been beaten on, etc. Would you guys have any worries and or reservations about purchasing a Viper under these conditions?

Thanks for any help,
Michael

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I would have zero wories at all. That year-model would draw a collector, and not so much a track rat...
In any case, it also shows you that the owner at least had SOME driving skill and stretched its legs a bit!
In fact, there were a couple times when VOI cars were DELIVERED ENMASSE AT A VOI and would likely do a day or 2 on track there.......

I dont think as a newbeee you could tell SQUAT from tire photos. Im not a newbee, and it would be very difficult for me to diagnose the # of track days on a specific tire PHOTO. But It is nearly impossible to remove impregnated "marbles" from PS2 tires after several track dates. So if the sipes look clean and clear of gummy clag, then you have some evidence. Assuming he does NOT have track wheels!

Best of Luck and CONGRATS. ZERO WORRIES....

Last edited:
F

FrgMstr

Fully agree with JB here. The owner did with the car what it was friggin designed to do. I sort of equate it to buying a used gun. I worry more if the owner never shot it. *** would you want a gun for if you never intend to shoot it? Collections are for baseball cards, Vipers are for driving. Go run the sh*t out of it and smile really big while doing it.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea it would take some serious trackdays to even start to think of it as an issue. One trackday doesn't even count as break-in on these cars. ;-) Wouldn't hesitate a bit. When I updated from my Gen3 to my Gen4 I was shopping for a vert, but almost changed my mind when I saw the model you're looking at, that is one super nice model, and a highly desireale combo .. almost got me nto a coupe, & that's saying a lot. You obviously have good ******** friend. Sounds like you're doing well in your research also.

One thing, is this a long distance purchase for you? If so you may find a viper owner where the car is to check it out for you in person, I did this with my Gen4 and it gave me real peace of mind to know a knowledgeable viper person checked the car out for me. Good luck.

Dave.

OP
OP

1.8t

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea, the car is in California and I am in Georgia. I have about 45 pics of the car showing every detail and angle so I feel pretty comfortable with the purchase, I just suppose I am looking for a little reassurance. This will be my first Viper and I definitely want to put my best foot forward. I sold my C6Z06 just a few days ago and always said the only car I would get rid of it for would be an 08 or newer Viper. I just want to have as good of an experience with the Viper as I did with my Z :)

F

FrgMstr

Bought mine seeing pics only. Flew from Texas to Massachusetts and drove it 2000 miles home in a day and a half. Great ride.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
No worries as said.

Do you know who the owner is?

I may know the car.

PM me if interested.

Dan

gilly6993

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A tracked Viper is one that is usually well taken car of with maint and cleaning.....it's at home on the track and should be no worry....

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are cars that are street beaten that could be in much worse condition. The owner is being straight and honest with you. That is all you could ask.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bet that this car went to a high performance driving event on a track. Much different than experiencing a full on door to door racing event.

At these events drivers are warned about overdriving their cars, and they are pretty easy on them as they scurry around the track to experience a sample of the performance a Viper can offer.

I would recommend that every Viper owner experience at least once their cars on a racetrack. It should be on every owners bucket list. An opportunity not to be missed.

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember when I was in the market for a Viper. People always put in there ads about how the car has never been tracked. I didn't know what that ment but it seemed to be such a bad thing and important enough of a selling point too advertise about. It became something I wanted to see whenever I looked at Vipers. I was just ignorant about what that term means and so are owners who put that in the ad to sell the car. I am becoming a total track rat myself and can tell you I take better care of my Viper now then I did when I first bought it. Sure it doesn't get as many usless washings as it used too but thats because I enjoy being inside the car driving more than I do walking around admiring it. The Viper is supposed to be driven and hard IMO and if I was in the market again to buy one I wouldn't care two cents if the car had been autocrossed, tracked etc. I want to know has it hit anything or been hit. Whats the upkeep and paint look like etc. If you buy a Viper do yourself and your friends and family a favor and please go to a HPDE event and several of them to learn the car! You will love every minute of it! :2tu:

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea, the car is in California and I am in Georgia. I have about 45 pics of the car showing every detail and angle so I feel pretty comfortable with the purchase, I just suppose I am looking for a little reassurance. This will be my first Viper and I definitely want to put my best foot forward. I sold my C6Z06 just a few days ago and always said the only car I would get rid of it for would be an 08 or newer Viper. I just want to have as good of an experience with the Viper as I did with my Z :)

Where in Cali? Lots of members here would not hesitate to look at it for you. I beat my Gen 2 to the ground on the track, something like 70 track days and it was working as well as the day I got it.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tracking a car inevitably takes some toll on the body and the paint, glass etc.
There is no denying that. Assuming the car has no paint protecting clear bra.
So if someone is looking for a "perfect" car with no chips, nicks and dings they would prefer a non tracked car.
Not talking mechanics, purely esthetics.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Auto trader says its from Spring Valley, CA (near San Diego)

I think it was driven by a young woman in the novice group during Viper Days in Pahrump last fall? If this is the viper you're looking at you can see the front was covered by painters tape. She didn't go off road and drove fairly easy.

One track event is all about cosmetics. Tires may be a little worn and look for rock chips on the sills and the inner fender lip.

Lot's of members in the SD area, ask someone to take a look if you're concerned. Good luck! Mike

You must be registered for see images attach

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
If this is the car pictured above, it was driven by a nice young lady. I instructed her at that Viper Days event in the green (novice) group. Jon B also rode with her.

No offs, nothing crazy, no missed shifts or crazy driving.

I drove the car the first half of the first session to acquaint her with the track. It was a very nice driving and handling car at that time.

Dan

OP
OP

1.8t

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to the gentleman selling the car, it was driven by his dad(whom is the owner of the car) who is 78yrs old. He was indeed in the novice group and supposedly had an instructor with him at all times. He made no mention of his dad's wife ever driving the car, unless he just neglected to mention that fact. In looking through my information from the owners, his wife's name is Catherine. Can anyone confirm if that is indeed her?

And yes, the car is located in Spring Valley, Ca.

Edit: If anyone is around that area and wouldn't mind checking it out, I would definitely appreciate it. The seller has no issues with someone stopping by.

Last edited:

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tracking a car inevitably takes some toll on the body and the paint, glass etc.
There is no denying that. Assuming the car has no paint protecting clear bra.
So if someone is looking for a "perfect" car with no chips, nicks and dings they would prefer a non tracked car.
Not talking mechanics, purely esthetics.

A wet sand will take care of that, I did a wet sand and it looked brand new, never had glass damage.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bet that this car went to a high performance driving event on a track. Much different than experiencing a full on door to door racing event.

At these events drivers are warned about overdriving their cars, and they are pretty easy on them as they scurry around the track to experience a sample of the performance a Viper can offer.

I would recommend that every Viper owner experience at least once their cars on a racetrack. It should be on every owners bucket list. An opportunity not to be missed.

Yeah, I have to second that.
Plus, unless they really rag on it and don't maintain the car it should'nt be a big issue.

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah, mine did a lot more track miles then that before i bought it. Other then baldish tires, thin front rotors and a bad alignment it looked and drove brand new. Once I fixed those three things it's been good as new and was mightily discounted over a new acr. good luck. Also, most track rats tend to be meticulous about things that matter: oil changes, drive train oils, etc.

OP
OP

1.8t

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have just confirmed that the car pictured above is indeed the car I am trying to purchase. Any additional info anyone might have would be awesome. I am told the car is completely stock and was never modified. I found a dyno video of it at DCperformance when it was brand new(no plates), but it was nothing more than a dyno.

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
oh gawd forbid, who woud buy a tracked viper? From the majority of one's I've seen I'm lead to believe there are two kinds of Viper owners, Those that admit they've been to the track and those that lie. LOL

I have tracked every Viper I have ever owned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi