Question about back-firing sound when I let off the gas.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I run higher rpm's then shut it down my Viper backfires/pops. Is this normal? When i'm on it going threw the gears it doesn't do it just when I let off the gas from higher speeds. Thanks in advance.

BIGBADCJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its the cold air running back threw the pipes that makes it pop. at least thats what i heard. its normal.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, as BIGBAD said, cold air, or cooler air can cause this; however, it may be an exhaust leak up stream from the tail pipes. I found an exhaust flange bolt missing where the headers bolt onto the head, and the gasket started to burn out, or at least I could see the exhaust exiting at that point. Removed the header, replaced the gasket, and put in a flange bolt, and now no backfire/pop. Cold air can not now enter the exhaust system at this point.

Later,

OP
OP
Y

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, as BIGBAD said, cold air, or cooler air can cause this; however, it may be an exhaust leak up stream from the tail pipes. I found an exhaust flange bolt missing where the headers bolt onto the head, and the gasket started to burn out, or at least I could see the exhaust exiting at that point. Removed the header, replaced the gasket, and put in a flange bolt, and now no backfire/pop. Cold air can not now enter the exhaust system at this point.

Later,
Thanks for your informative answer. If that is the case am I hurting anything when it back-fires or pops?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for your informative answer. If that is the case am I hurting anything when it back-fires or pops?

I imagine it would be possible to burn out an exhaust valve if there was excessive backfire.

"Excess backfire" not to be confused with the deep rumble and occasional exhaust flames during downshifts.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car was doing a while back. New O2 sensors and check to make sure your intake manifold it tight. They tend to loosen up over time from vibration. Bit it was doing it everytime I let off the gas, just popping...no big backfire.