Question about srt viper sales

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with the paint issue. They color sand all of these cars. There is no way if the paint came off that it would have been sent out. But yea this whole customer orders come last makes me nervous but plenty of time before I order for them to rectify this. Also I am waiting to see if any actual issues with the car which apparently there are zero and I am shocked with that alone. But time will tell.

Mamba52

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have a real hard time believing a GTS was delivered to a Dealer with the issues you said you saw. The driver from Reliable would have to accept the car to load, and then it would be inspected upon arrival at the Dealership also. Why would they even accept it if it was so horrid. Sounds alot more like this occurred after delivery. The paint quality has been superb with the Gen V and with 20+ delivered, customers are raving about the differences and improvements. Those who have had the privilege to get a tour at Prefix are blown away with the quality and special systems set up to paint the new Snake. We have not seen any paint issues and to be blunt, the prior companies can not even hold a candle to the superb quality and color matching done by Prefix. Have to raise the BS flag on this one..................

It's the Red GTS passenger door. Here is there # if you don't believe me 1-888-581-7793. Must be the first red dealer car?.

Last edited:

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who really gives a **** about that babble, if guys laid out the money for the first cars, thats what should of been delivered first. **** the dealers.
Looks like SRT wants to sell as many cars as possible, and seeing that dealers outnumber previous clients & first order customers, the loyal customer gets screwed; but sadly selling as many cars as possible is every companies business model. Heck even Ferrari does this; but the problem is that Ferrari has a list of people that always want their cars. Looks like SRT is trying to emulate the big boys but they seem to be missing the key point; selling out a full product line in one year (360, 430, 458). More attention should be paid to the loyalists so you can grow to that level one day; if even possible. But heck what do I know.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember a video where Ralph said that all vipers were sold. Which was obviously BS.

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
they can't be selling that well, dealers have them sitting on the showroom floors, they are all over ebay and I've heard of some pretty decent discounts already....

I would be really mad if I ordered a car early and was sitting waiting while other cars are sitting on the lots...

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
they can't be selling that well, dealers have them sitting on the showroom floors, they are all over ebay and I've heard of some pretty decent discounts already....

I would be really mad if I ordered a car early and was sitting waiting while other cars are sitting on the lots...

They're in the process of building my car and I'm still pretty aggravated by the number of black and gunmetal GTS on AutoTrader, and not just "in transit" cars but real-life existing cars sitting in showrooms.

Viper98912

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We all new making the SRT brand was going to be a difficult learning process, and I'm pretty sure everyone in SRT knows of the issues that have occurred (and read these forums). Hopefully the next time around will be smoother....

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To put my previous comments in perspective, you will not find a stronger supporter of SRT than me. I am passionate about cars, have been since birth, and nothing stirs my soul more than the Viper. It is a rolling work of art, a track dominator, an engineering masterpiece, a symbol of American perserverance through tough times. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Ralph, Graham, the whole team. To say that they are my heroes would not be an overstatement.

But I also try to see the world as it is, not how I would like it to be. SRT dropped the ball on this. First to order should be first to receive, not last. It is that simple. And I hope to get a chance to communicate this to them. I don't know if I would ever consider ordering another Viper in the future, unless they break silence and show us that they have corrected this broken process.

Ditto.

I will never order a new generation Viper again. I would consider ordering one after production has begun, and knowing an approximate delivery date, however. SRT has really disappointed me in terms of this entire ordering fiasco. There is zero reasonable excuse for dealers getting custom builds before deposit paid customers got their custom builds. The *only* reason for me, is that those cars could have been from customers that cancelled their deposit. But, those window stickers would have a customer name at the top of them "This vehicle was built especially for ___________" - and I've not seen any of those on the net pics. SRT dealers should have each gotten 1 car to showcase/display - which they couldn't sell for the first year. That would have satisfied having a demo car on hand. I have no problem with the blue/white LE cars, those should always be first. The red SRT track pack cars were uncalled for, however. No reason for those.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ditto.

I will never order a new generation Viper again. I would consider ordering one after production has begun, and knowing an approximate delivery date, however. SRT has really disappointed me in terms of this entire ordering fiasco. There is zero reasonable excuse for dealers getting custom builds before deposit paid customers got their custom builds. The *only* reason for me, is that those cars could have been from customers that cancelled their deposit. But, those window stickers would have a customer name at the top of them "This vehicle was built especially for ___________" - and I've not seen any of those on the net pics. SRT dealers should have each gotten 1 car to showcase/display - which they couldn't sell for the first year. That would have satisfied having a demo car on hand. I have no problem with the blue/white LE cars, those should always be first. The red SRT track pack cars were uncalled for, however. No reason for those.

Agree, my biggest gripe. It is insanity cars are sitting on showroom floors while those who stuck their neck out and ordered sat twiddling their thumbs. All of us ordered on a hope and a prayer, and those that did should have been prioritized.

What is better for the brand: People out driving cars or cars rotting on dealer showroom floors?

BlueLIGHTNING

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here is a question, how many people are waiting for a new convertible?? Could sales be a bit slow because the verts are slow in coming. Having owned both I like the shape of the coupe but for just cruising around I find the convertible a lot nicer to drive around. I would not be buying a new one until the verts are out and see how the final product looks.

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the coupes don't sell I would be worried about ever seeing the convertible.....

Here is a question, how many people are waiting for a new convertible?? Could sales be a bit slow because the verts are slow in coming. Having owned both I like the shape of the coupe but for just cruising around I find the convertible a lot nicer to drive around. I would not be buying a new one until the verts are out and see how the final product looks.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bottom line is,SRT Screwed you all that put your hard earned money down for a new Viper to get ASAP and then made a bunch and gave them to these greedy dealers. Their are new Gen.5s all over the place here in South Florida sitting in the showrooms at MSRP and below. I am another Viper owner that will not buy a new Viper til SRT gets their act together and treats is customers better.

What a nightmare it will be if you get in a accident or if the car breaks and you parts....

That is the way it is,no matter how car Salesman try to spin it on here or when they talk to you..

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hmmm with all of this talk it is making me think of a getting a 911 4S instead since I can get one that is an MSRP of 156k down to 145k which is the same price as the viper I want though instead of taking a year to get it, it would only take me 3 months.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have 911 Turbo S now,10 second car all day long,bone stock.The Porsche and Porsche Experence is outstanding.. Just saying..

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have 911 Turbo S now,10 second car all day long,bone stock.The Porsche and Porsche Experence is outstanding.. Just saying..

A new turbo S is a little out of my price range otherwise I would get it. I'm not looking to spend more than 145k out the door.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No reason to order a Viper, there is now a large variety of Vipers on lots. There are now 51 black ones on cars.com, one of which I will end up with if my car isn't in frame soon. Easy and inexpensive to ship, I've looked into it.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No reason to order a Viper, there is now a large variety of Vipers on lots. There are now 51 black ones on cars.com, one of which I will end up with if my car isn't in frame soon. Easy and inexpensive to ship, I've looked into it.
Counted 42 unsold LE

lol

Can't believe how many dealers have silly markups on the cars. These guys really are morons.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still none of the new ones have been coming in with the carbon fiber exterior and interior packages.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The cool thing is that you can add carbon later. I'd rather not miss the summer, so I'll order it when it's offered

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That ***** about all those Vipers on dealer lots,and people still waiting on their orders.
I'm really glad I canceled my order and got my deposit back..

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hmmm with all of this talk it is making me think of a getting a 911 4S instead since I can get one that is an MSRP of 156k down to 145k which is the same price as the viper I want though instead of taking a year to get it, it would only take me 3 months.

I thought you said you weren't in the market for a Viper for another 2 years? You should be able to get a new car quickly by then, maybe brand new 2013/14's still!

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought you said you weren't in the market for a Viper for another 2 years? You should be able to get a new car quickly by then, maybe brand new 2013/14's still!

Yea. But with this lag for me to get it in 2 years I have to order it next year it seems lol.

PilotaX

Viper Owner
Reaction score
FWIW, according to vehicle registration data, 135 cars had been registered in the US and Canada through May 31. Since the average lag between date of sale and date the car is entered in the registration database is about 30 days, that means roughly 135 cars sold through the end of April.

BlueLIGHTNING

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Maybe SRT figured the cars with deposits are a guaranteed sale so why not get the unsold cars out there fast so they can move them??

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FWIW, according to vehicle registration data, 135 cars had been registered in the US and Canada through May 31. Since the average lag between date of sale and date the car is entered in the registration database is about 30 days, that means roughly 135 cars sold through the end of April.

Seeing as 1/3 of LE seem to be unsold (Listed online), number sounds about right.

SlateEd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a few observations from a local CJD(SRT) dealer.

This place has 4.... FOUR gen 5 Vipers. Two red, one black one LE.

I drive up in my ridiculous company car (Kia Soul with full 3M graphic wrap), walk up to look at the LE and right away I get the same old greasy salesman walking up.. "boy she's a beaut.. going to make someone very happy... could be you for just about 2,000 a month... same as a Porsche really"

I chuckled. I asked him if he has driven it, he nervously said "oh no.. no... our technician went out to Las Vegas and drove it. He drove it up to 125 miles per hour and he says it's amazing.. no sense of speed at that rate"

I had a (female) coworker with me. He was leering and making comments about how she would look good in a bright green Wrangler.

I went back 2 weeks later when I drove by and saw BOTH red ones sitting outside IN THE RAIN. I said "hey unless someone is getting ready to test drive those in the rain, you really should get them inside" He laughed and said "oh no, we need the attention from having them out there and no one test drives them at all unless you're ready to buy.

OKAY... so here's the sales issue as I see it.

1. Same old dealerships, same old lines, same old greasy/dirty feeling walking in and leaving.. it's a beautiful car sitting in the middle of a dump where most high-end buyers would not ever think to shop.

2. NO TEST DRIVES! someone said in an earlier post that the car is a bargain... we can guess that because we've driven the older ones, we can see the improvement in the interior, and we can guesstimate how much better the 640 will pull... we are more than half way there. Someone with a 911 has no frame of reference and needs to be able to test the car to be impressed enough to appreciate what a good deal they're getting for 100K. you might spend 100 bucks on a guess... not 100,000
(so those red track-packs that are sitting at dealerships should be tested like mad all year and sold at 87,500 next June)

3. Custom order fails have turned many of the faithful into frustrated customers instead of great brand ambassadors. I don't think this is as big a deal on the sales numbers as the first 2 reasons, but it certainly is unacceptable for brand loyalty, and is a missed marketing opportunity.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte