Question about srt viper sales

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WHAT!!! YOU ARE CRAZY!! carrear 4s, USED turbo...you will be severely disappointed if you buy one of these instead of the new Gen V! I have owned both..trust me!

Do tell about your experience with both? How about a GT3? The new one.

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So unlike Tesla, SRT/Dodge can never go direct as it stands because they are not allowed to sell direct while they have dealers selling the same product.

Like they never dictate to the dealers:rolleyes:. Tell that to Tator's Dodge and the hundreds of other privately owned dealerships that were forced out of business during the last "restructuring".

2006red/whitecoupe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tesla is a special situation, they are trying and so far doing well without dealers, right now it is my understanding that only 1 or 2 states prohibit sales .....both Mercedes Benz and Toyota own a piece of em and consumer reports gave the new model the highest score they have ever given saying it was the finest car they have ever tested. They have paid back already all of their government loans and they have simply put together a better mousetrap....SRT can't now or ever sell direct for too many reasons to list here.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are seling cars NOW at 10-15K below sticker??Geez what's going to happen a year from now.
I believe it. These are already hitting wholesale dealer auction. I couldn't believe it when I saw them start popping up; I thought there would have been none until at least the end of summer, but I guess the market has spoken.

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When the price of the most desirable version of the car is a 50% increase in price from the last version that didnt sell either, success in sales is going to be tough. I hate to say it, but I saw this coming as did many. I know the car is still amazing, but the price is just too high.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When the price of the most desirable version of the car is a 50% increase in price from the last version that didnt sell either, success in sales is going to be tough. I hate to say it, but I saw this coming as did many. I know the car is still amazing, but the price is just too high.

I think if a fully optioned out one excluding painted stripes and stryker paint was like 130k this car would sell way better. At 120k things like carbon ceramic brakes are a must and even a lift kit.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe it. These are already hitting wholesale dealer auction. I couldn't believe it when I saw them start popping up; I thought there would have been none until at least the end of summer, but I guess the market has spoken.

How do I get in on that action? I want one for $10-15k off ... geesh, at that price the gen5 is not just a no brainer, it's a steal IMO, where do I sign?

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think if a fully optioned out one excluding painted stripes and stryker paint was like 130k this car would sell way better. At 120k things like carbon ceramic brakes are a must and even a lift kit.

Cars that come with carbon ceramic brakes still wish they came with V10 8.4L engines. And, the ACR set the 'Ring record on plain ol Brembo steel brakes. The Gen 5 T/A edition also set the record at Laguna Seca on steel brakes.

Vipers were never intended for sheeple. Saying carbon breaks are "a must" is highly disagreeable. Would they be nice? Sure. But, proven not to really need them.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One on the trader now. $26k off sorry but this Gen is not selling well. Time for a Gen 6 :omg:
Still a bit early to say it is selling well or not. I think the smarter dealers are seeing there could be issues moving the car and just dropping the prices... Then again, most the dealers around me are still asking an outrageous markup.

I think the bigger issue is dealers ordered too many decked out GTS models. If anything fails to sell well, I think it will be those, sadly. I hardly see any custom SRT models online minus the red track packs.

I think they priced themselves out of the market if anything.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One on the trader now. $26k off sorry but this Gen is not selling well. Time for a Gen 6 :omg:

I just looked into it. It's a LE at $141K + $26K mark up. Then they put it on sale for $26K off, so you can buy it for - you guessed it - $141K, LOL. So unfortunately 0 discount on that particular car.

Mamba52

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just looked into it. It's a LE at $141K + $26K mark up. Then they put it on sale for $26K off, so you can buy it for - you guessed it - $141K, LOL. So unfortunately 0 discount on that particular car.

That *****!!!! Try the black with silver strip car $107. Now that's a deal hope it works out for you. I will keep looking for deals.

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRTviper, to be honest and fair we are talking about all great cars. I don't have any experience with the new GT3 but I hear it cannot be had with a manual tranny. I do like the looks, however, better than the Carrera s, 4s, and turbo. I had the pdk tranny which was awesome but I am still a shift it yourself guy. Don't know if you had the pleasure of driving the new Gen V but it is leaps and bounds better than the Gen IV. You have to experience it for yourself. A lot of people on this forum are making judgments and comparisons and haven't even driven the car yet.
Do tell about your experience with both? How about a GT3? The new one.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cars that come with carbon ceramic brakes still wish they came with V10 8.4L engines. And, the ACR set the 'Ring record on plain ol Brembo steel brakes. The Gen 5 T/A edition also set the record at Laguna Seca on steel brakes.

Vipers were never intended for sheeple. Saying carbon breaks are "a must" is highly disagreeable. Would they be nice? Sure. But, proven not to really need them.

I don't care so much from a performance point of view but from a looks and ride quality point of view and cost. They will last the life of the car, provide better ride comfort, and look bad ass

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRTviper, to be honest and fair we are talking about all great cars. I don't have any experience with the new GT3 but I hear it cannot be had with a manual tranny. I do like the looks, however, better than the Carrera s, 4s, and turbo. I had the pdk tranny which was awesome but I am still a shift it yourself guy. Don't know if you had the pleasure of driving the new Gen V but it is leaps and bounds better than the Gen IV. You have to experience it for yourself. A lot of people on this forum are making judgments and comparisons and haven't even driven the car yet.

Well If a dealer lets me I will or if someone n this forum would take me for a ride that would be nice.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I checked up on one dealer that was indeed offering $15k off. It was $15K off his $30k additional dealership markup. Bottom line he was $15K over list plus taxes and fees.

Believe our higher volume dealers are having more trouble getting cars from the factory than in selling them once they arrive.

Everybody that has received their new cars have been ecstatic about the quality and performance.

Don't understand all the haters, but I guess that is just forum normal.

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Code:

That's bailout math. I'll take two. :omg:

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting thread, lot's of passion, some disapointment, some misunderstanding;

Tesla; they have the direct to consumer business model, factory owned dealerships for sales and service. Their selling well for their size, BUT most states have legislation that prevents factory owned dealerships. someone mentioned the NY battle, Texas and Virginia were recently in the news too. Dealers are going to fight that model to death and probably win. It isn't about Tesla doing it, its about Chrysler, GM, Toyota, etc being able to do it too. Don't hold your breath for a dirtect SRT purchase. Aslo, be careful what you wish for.

Pricing, markup in a viper is 5.5% to 6.2% depending on model and options, higher MSRP vipers have largerst gross profit percentage. Add in a coiuple of percent for holdback too. No one is buying a Gen V viper for $15K plus off. Also, we have many great dealers, support the ones who were there in '08 to '10, and kept the plant and viper alive, buy from them. Also, keep in mind a dealer nets after expenses about 1-2% on new car sales, maybe more on vipers, comapre that to your business.

Sales; small market for 100K plus toy's, gets smaller for $140K toys. Gen V is evolutionary not revolutionary, current price point is untested by Dodge and the market for SRT products. My opinion is they would sell great with paddle shifters, that's where the market (customers) is for this type of sports car.

Custom orders; I'd guess they have supplier issues with the carbon pieces and some other items everyone wants. Their going to build 1000 or so cars and probably have 100K build combinations. Very hard to manage. Took Porsche and others some time to configure this way, learning curve issues but they'll

Keep the faith, the Gen V's are great!

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow, I thought only Ford dealers did that. GT500s are advertised like crazy with $5k discount, call today. You call and it's $5k off the $10k markup, too funny.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, I thought only Ford dealers did that. GT500s are advertised like crazy with $5k discount, call today. You call and it's $5k off the $10k markup, too funny.

Tons of GT500's available now. $65-70k is a lot for a Mustang. The v6 Mustang however is probably the best car available for $22k.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score

And I always thought mattress dealers were the biggest scumbags on Earth.

In amusing news, Koons is now selling their GTS at MSRP, after a month of a $30k markup

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just spoke to the Canadian customer service and : OMG they have no info on my build !

And I always thought mattress dealers were the biggest scumbags on Earth.

In amusing news, Koons is now selling their GTS at MSRP, after a month of a $30k markup

Too funny..

My ACR was sitting at a dealer for two freaken years before I came and swooped it up at a good ,discounted price. Even with a nice Gucci interior these Gen 5s will have the same fate..

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would have thought that the gen 5 would have sold better..... 215 listings on Autotrader, and another 27 on ebay unsold ( possibly some overlap or repeat listings) but if only 800 are made for 2013 and this many are on the lot I am sorry to say that I think that things are not the best on this 2013 model.....about 1/4 sitting unsold ? Actually the unsold numbers may be higher since full production for 2013 has not finished yet and I am sure some cars are still in transit on the way to dealers who may also list them on autotrader or ebay. By the way I just checked the completed listings on ebay and NONE were sold..... YIKES !!!

Last edited:

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy crap, time to set the record straight. Joke's on me. I THOUGHT I had found a Viper at $15k off MSRP, another at $13.3K off, and several at $10K off MSRP.

It was too good to be true. I read the fine print in those ads- Chrysler employee discount was applied. It turns out that, for the most part, Gen V's are being offered at MSRP or above.

And of the 200+ listed, I did call about one of them. It was sold, but it's still listed. A bunch of others are "in transit," so they haven't yet been built. It looks as if the market isn't flooded with Gen V's after all, perhaps inventory levels are about where they should be.

I guess the good news in this is that sales of the Gen V may not be so dreary after all. Verdict's not in yet, time will tell. I personally hope the Viper sells like crazy, so we have years of improvements, plus an ACR and convertible in the future.

This also means that I will likely wait for my Stryker Red, as the incentive to buy an in-stock Viper just got eliminated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock187