Question, nitrous, headers Air Flow

weed43

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This question is for nitrous tuners and users of nitrous,I have a 01 R/T with 3inch hi flow cats and 3 inch Corsa exhaust tubes and filters, I was considering headers but for 2 to 3 grand was a bit much for 7 to 17 additional hp. If one would add a 150 shot nitrous system would there be a cmf increase in and out of the engine to warrant headers. I realize that if I decide to go with forced induction such as turbo or suppercharger the header question is very simple one, what goes in must come out.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forget about the headers. Just use the 150 shot and you will get plenty of power. You would get a little more with headers but if you don't want to spend the money just go with the stock.

OP
OP
W

weed43

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe, thanks for your input,But I am looking at all my options when it comes to the ROE blower or Nitrous or both. If air flow and exhaust flows are increased, headers would then be on my list.

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would prefer a Super Charger or Turbo that way you have it all the time and don't have to deal with filling a bottle. But bang for the buck you can not beat the NX system, I put the kit on my 95 RT about 6 months ago and absolutely love it, already went through 6 or 7 fifteen pound bottles trouble free.
Not sure what the 01's can handle with the cast pistons and all, but I think a 150 shot would be pretty safe. Maybe someone who knows for sure can chime in.

Here is an example of my dyno sheet with a 200 shot and all motor. Virtually stock, except for full 3" exhaust and smooth tubes and filters.

16595viperdyno-med.jpg

OP
OP
W

weed43

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ACELLR8, Man that TQ no is unreal, I don't thank that a 5 lb boost blower could ever match that, are you running headers and have you had any traction problems with that much TQ. I notice it looks like a bomb went off on the graft.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
weed53,

Are you asking if there is an increase in exhaust volume with nitrous? If so the answer is yes, and you will definitely get more power with 150 shot and good after market headers rather than stock headers.

But your exhaust mods will limit the amount of power you can make, cats no matter how high flow will restrict your power output. And a Corsa exhaust being nice and quiet as it is will restrict you as well. You will have much better results with say a Bellanger exhaust or a Borla.

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your O1' will benefit greatly from a properly set up nitrous system with NO ill effects on your engine. Check out a few dyno sheets on my website at the link below for a 2001 header/catback/nos viper that was the first "creampuff" to ever run a 10 second time.

Take a look at a new post on the dyno sheet/time slip forum of this site. There is a 01' Viper of a Las Vegas customer of mine who uses our NOS system and laid down 655 RWHP and over 900 RW torque with the only other mod being an exhaust system.

Headers will enhance any future mods that you may wish to add. Purchase them wisely though as not all headers are the same. We use on our own Vipers, sell, install and only offer Belanger Headers and exhaust and we are the oldest Belanger Dealer for Viper Headers. Your 01' Viper has a camshaft that does not lend itself to exhaust upgrades as well as a 96-97 Viper, but once on nitrous you will see the benefit of headers.

One last note, nitrous will enhance the power of any forced air induction system and there are NO Vipers in the 9's that do not have nitrous. All of our nitrous systems will work well with any of the forced air induction systems available today.

Thanks,

Tom

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree with TOP GUN TOM.150RWHP works well with 01.Make sure you dyno tune with air flow in the 10:1 range if you want the motor to LAST.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, when I said don't bother with the headers I was thinking that the $2k-$3k you mentioned for the headers was a big deal to you. There isn't any question that the headers will get you more power, juice or not, but if you are asking if you need headers for a 150 shot, I would say no, you don't need it. You will get plenty of power without them.
The headers and the sc that someone talked about would cost you $10k just for the parts.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ACELLR8,
That graph is really over the top, power like that is serious. I've often thought about juice for my 94, it I keep it that is. I'm wondering about the gen1 head gasket thing. Do you think the nitrous would cause problems in that respect? I would think that a gen1 that had the gasket upgrade would be safe. What do you think?

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
weed53,

I don't have headers, actually was going to purchase headers because I wanted to get a little more power out of my car. Then after shopping around a little and getting prices of headers. I figured for $1200 I could get a much larger horsepower gain with the NX system. I would think if I had some good long tube headers the power would be much greater.
Traction is fine if you are rolling and are in 3rd gear or above, 1st and second I have yet to get a handle at launching my car at the track. Concluded I need better tires!

joe117,

I was a little skeptical about how the motor would hold up with nitrous myself before I bought it. I questioned a few tuners and people who had been running it for quite some time, and was pretty much told the Gen I motors run really well with Nitrous with the forged pistons. I think the over all concensous is that the Viper motors in general run really well with Nitrous. As for the head gasket issues, my car has 40,000 miles on it and I have ran at least 7 15 lb bottles without a head gasket problem yet, knock on wood. I was always under the impression the 95, 96 and the later 94 Gen I motors did not have as many problems with the head gaskets.
If you keep your car and decide to get nitrous I am sure you will like it whether on the street or strip. It's nice just to have that extra edge when you might need it, plus the feeling of the car pulling with a 200 shot is awesome.
Definitely best bang for the buck out there!

OP
OP
W

weed43

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First I want to thank Tom and Tooofst for your input on the nitrous question. Joe you are right on target, the blower is great, and yes the 10 grand, plus for other goodies like roller rockers, throttle body, you would be in the 13 grand range. The pros on the blower are the gradual increase in hp & tq that comes on with rpm, less shock load on the power train,also less wheel spin off the line and would work better with 355 gear set up, the cons are price, and you would half to remove the blower for any warranty work, which would be a night mare. A mechanic would spot the use of wrenches on the intake and other parts that were removed.With the nitrous the pros, more hp & tq for a lot less moneys, a lot easier to remove if warranty work was needed cons, tremendous shock load on engine and power train, worrying about switches working correctly not having enough fuel for nitrous mix, bottle change, would half to invest in some sticky tires for the 355 gear, even with a 50 to 100 shot. I will learn more when I talk to the nitrous dealers about progressive timers and window switches which I feel will help with this sudden explosion of power even though the Viper engine must one hell of a strong engine to with stand these hp & tq no.