Questions and Comments - A Bit long

I Ben Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A series of questions:
The 03 Viper is being defended as resulting from the requests of current Viper owners. Can anyone show me any survey, article or any document, which presents the current Viper owners as requesting a less bodaciously styled car? Can anyone show me any documentation where current Viper owners requested a less radically styled car? Can anyone recall any conversation with anyone from DC where the topic was a toned down styling of the Viper?
Can anyone show me anything that shows anything other than pride in the styling of the current Viper by the current Viper owners?

Another question:
When defending the 03 Viper against styling criticisms, why do the defenders appeal to the engineering improvements in the new car? The question is the styling not the engineering! As I understand the defenders, they would have everyone believe that the improvements in engineering will overcome the drabness in styling. Or make you forget the styling, or put up with the styling.
Sounds akin to the arguments on the Corvette forums where the Corvette is defended as being a “balanced” sports car having lost the position of performance king to the Viper.
Those kinds of arguments used to be called “sour grapes”, from a children’s fairy tale where a fox excused his inability to leap high enough to grab some grapes by saying the grapes were sour anyway.

A parallel:
In the early fifties, MB, now DC, introduced the 300 SL to the sports car racing world, winning three of the four races entered with that car. In the middle fifties, MB introduced a street version of that car, the famous 300 SL Gull Wing. Somewhat later, MB introduced a roadster version of the same car. The car sold slowly, not being equipped for US driving habits at the time; no air conditioning and no automatic transmission. The next version of the SL was the infamous pagoda roof version. That car sold a lot better, becoming the vehicle of choice of the wealthy suburban matrons of that era.
The ads for the current DC SL appeal to the spirit of the original gull wing version. No one would ever appeal to the pagoda roof model, as it had no spirit.
The Viper is undergoing a similar evolution into a car that appeals to a much different population than the original buyers. From DC’s point of view, a much larger population and therefore a much better economic decision.
By the way, if Dodge wants to appeal to the spirit of the Viper in their ads, I suggest they show the LeMans winning GTS in the background not the 03 car which has yet to demonstrate any spirit.

A Prognostication:
In the future, the GTS will be looked at with the same fondness as the 300 SL. The GTS will become the collector’s car of choice.

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually there is a thread that states that the changes of the new car were NOT as a result of requests from current Viper owners.

Bottom line Dodge is in business to make money so they are making the car to appeal to your every day averageg Joe. They did a good job don't you think?

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow! Where'd he come from? Is he 100% right on or what!
smile.gif

I seriously doubt you'll be getting any responses from "them". The truth hurts too much.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I Ben,

I posted in another thread that the truth of the matter - whether we like it or not - is that the styling was changed for sales reasons, NOT for performance reasons. I think it true that improved aerodynamics and reduced build cost could have been achieved with a more curvy car, and I think anyone saying the new look is due to performance only is giving you the company line.

The thing is - the Viper is being targeted to a new market. That makes your entire post moot. Nobody is saying "Dodge didn't do what we asked!" or that "They tried to give us what we wanted and they failed!" or "Those that like the SRT just don't want to admit it's ugly". The point is the SRT is targeted at a new market. That new market has a less than 100% intersection with the current market. Therefore, some (or many, if you prefer) won't like the SRT. The sooner you deal with that FACT, the happier you will be. Dodge didn't screw the pooch with the SRT - they accomplished exactly what they were trying to do, tune it to a new market. Everyone is free to whine about how they are not happy that they are not in the new market (or rather that the SRT is not targeted to THEIR market), but it's not going to change a thing. Everyone is trying to analyze Dodge's move, or paint the SRT as a massive screw up, or say it's ugly and horrible and is not a Viper. You know what they say about opinions, right?

Two sides...

1) SRT is a newer, more refined, better, higher performing, more subdued Viper that I really desire

2) The SRT is a massive F-up for Dodge and is ugly as hell

Put yourself in whatever group you want - doesn't matter much to me. But no amount of complaining is going to change the facts - which are that the SRT is a different car for a different market.

Feel free to bury your head in the sand if so desired
smile.gif

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike Brunton on Q as usual. I would have been disappointed if you'd Posted any differently. The only one with the balls to come over here and address the TRUTH.
smile.gif

I disagree with you 100% Mike, as usual, but you're still alright with me! Maybe you've broken the ice for some of "them" to come over here and give us "thier" version vs. the correct version.
smile.gif

I Ben's Post was Epic in my view! Everyone's been basically lying for a long time about the SRT, why it's here, who asked for it, etc - and he set the record straight once & for all.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
By the way, if Dodge wants to appeal to the spirit of the Viper in their ads, I suggest they show the LeMans winning GTS in the background not the 03 car which has yet to demonstrate any spirit.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

see this is where I kinda really disagree. OF COURSE the 03 hasn't demonsrated anything yet, who the he_ll has driven one?

I mean the SRT did accomplish the miniscule feat of BEATING an F-16 fighterjet, line up a current car which has less power and is heavier and see how it fairs, to me that stirs up some spirit in the car (or I wouldn't be writing this). Sure it's not the best styled car but it sure is gonna haul @ss.

I love both cars equally and can't wait for the arrival of the SRT, be it the ******* child of DC or not.

Craig

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello;

I too love and own the current Viper... enough said.

Show me a bullet with lots of fins; it wouldn't be very fast. Do you agree?

Swimmers, gymnasts, etc, are a lot more thin today. Economy of motion, diet, TECHNIQUE, made the difference.

The new Viper is different, and less bodacious. I bet the performance numbers will be VERY impressive.

If the styling is the big issue, then maybe we should all build kit cars with lots of fins. I am a geezer at 45, and I guess I don't care about the opinions of others very much. I just like to drive, and this new Viper promises that and more.

Heck, if you don't like it don't buy it; mod the heck out of a gen I or II and have a lot of fun.

Just my opinion.

Jim

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jwwiii:
Hello;

Swimmers, gymnasts, etc, are a lot more thin today. Economy of motion, diet, TECHNIQUE, made the difference.

The new Viper is different, and less bodacious. I bet the performance numbers will be VERY impressive.

If the styling is the big issue, then maybe we should all build kit cars with lots of fins. I am a geezer at 45, and I guess I don't care about the opinions of others very much. I just like to drive, and this new Viper promises that and more.

Heck, if you don't like it don't buy it; mod the heck out of a gen I or II and have a lot of fun.

Just my opinion.

Jim

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim,

I don't subscribe to the "if you don't like it - don't buy it attitude."

To the contrary, I want to buy! I just want a Viper not an SRT. We may be all wasting band with though. Who knows what the future holds.
smile.gif

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon,

I don't know if your theory on what happened with the SRT is true. I'm sure you are correct that the Viper must now pay it's own way, but I don't know if it was going to be a continuing loser for Dodge financially speaking. Who knows what the real truth is besides guys like Tom Gale, etc.

On your 2nd point, I agree completely. If they price the SRT at $79k (which, as I have heard is going to be the price), I don't see how it could sell very well. I think they would have to come closer to the existing RT/10 price or even lower (although going lower would PO a bunch of owners I bet).

Will their strategy pay off and turn the SRT into a "world class" car that finally is accepted by the press and european markets? Or will it massively backfire and cause a huge loss to DC? I think the former, only because I don't think DC is dumb enough to make such a big mistake with their turnaround car as to blow it. And also because I actually like the SRT
smile.gif

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JMcGuire:
You're not real good at this "Internet thing" are you?

A "conversation" entails more than shooting your *** and expecting that everyone will agree with your stellar-grade wisdom.

Try it sometime, it's fun.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are 100% correct! I couldn't have said it better myself!
smile.gif

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PER AUTO WEEK AND I QUOTE!!!

"The new top was done in conjunction w/ Dura, the same company that did the top on the Prowler. It stows under a solid rear decklid that clamshells backwards for access. The top is manual, and therefore lightweight, and fastens onto the windshield header with one clamp in the middle. <u>WHEN THE TOP IS UP IT ALMOST LOOKS LIKE A JAG CONVERTIBLE. WHEN IT'S STOWED, FROM THE REAR THREE-QUARTER VIEW, IT LOOKS LIKE A STRETCHED HONDA S2000!! FROM A SHARPER REAR THREE-QUARTER VIEW, IT ALMOST LOOKS LIKE A CORVETTE L88!"</u>

I never thought I'd EVER say this!! I never thought I'd think it!! But if these cars are on the street, I'm not sure if I even want to be in my current Viper! Wow! I can't even believe I typed that! But I did. Why should I support such a Company! I feel really bad right now! Really bad. I don't know.......I'm out.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jwwiii:
Hello;

Just my opinion.

Jim

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Let's see...a bullet with lots of fins...how about a missile, a rocket, the space shuttle...faster than a bullet? I say yes!
Have already modded the heck out of my GenII ( fins included ) and plan to have a lot of fun watching SRT-10s in my rearview mirror!
laugh.gif
BURNOUT.gif

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Craig 201 MPH:
You must be registered for see images

a public service of Craig

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Craig,
LMFAO!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Thanks!

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The negative comments do tend to get to one after a while. I honestly feel like everyone is trying to convince me that I really DON'T like the car and that it's really a piece of junk. I know you guys aren't, but some of the comments about the SRT lead me to wonder what it's going to be like when I am at an event (like VOI) and those that seem to viciously hate the SRT are there. Will they make comments to my face, or behind my back about my car? Will they rag on the car for the way it looks? Will I not be accepted at Viper events where it's predominantly GenI/II Vipers? I wonder if Dodge will be booed when they roll an SRT onto the stage at VOI? I really just don't know.

On a side note, I was at the NY auto show with my brother a few weeks back. He liked my old Viper, but it just wan't his sort of car. He likes Lotuses, Porsches, Aston Martins, etc. He just hasn't ever really been into domestics. He liked the GTS I had, but when he saw the SRT at the show, he said "what are all the guys on the board complaining about? This is a hot car!". He liked the restyle alot, and thought it looked wide and low, and was the best looking ragtop anywhere near it's price range. He even commented that he would own one of these cars. This is a guy who has never ever liked any of the cars I bought - Vettes, Firebirds, the Viper, etc.

Just a side note...

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All new Vipers should come with a racing suit made of Remy Rhino skin.

AH Mike if your concerns Will they make comments to my face, or behind my back about my car? Will they rag on the car for the way it looks? Will I not be accepted at Viper events where it's predominantly GenI/II Vipers?, actually materialize, then they were not real buds after all so I say SCREWEM.

You know my feelings on the car but I think you will be accepted just as much as ever. Ahhhhh crap maybe we are all just jealous.

You have a GREAT car coming, don't let us whinners crap on your special dream. SERIOUSLY
smile.gif

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike Brunton:

<u>"WHEN THE TOP IS UP IT ALMOST LOOKS LIKE A JAG CONVERTIBLE. WHEN IT'S STOWED, FROM THE REAR THREE-QUARTER VIEW, IT LOOKS LIKE A STRETCHED HONDA S2000! FROM A SHARPER REAR THREE-QUARTER VIEW, IT ALMOST LOOKS LIKE A CORVETTE!"</u>

Mike, buddy! WHY? You do know the list goes on and on don't you? The SRT looks like a lot of other cars too! I've personally witnessed many people on other boards laughing at the SRT! Forget all those guys Mike, just tell me <u>you</u> don't personally think that the SRT looks like MANY other cars. Tell me that it doesn't bother you. No more exclusivity. That's gone! You don't see the big picture Mike? What's happening to our Viper right before our eyes? This car looks like a TOTAL copy cat. And don't even talk about performance. You know as well as I do that we don't keep our cars stock! Everyone mods their Viper. That's when the fun starts! I'll have 543 cid before that piece of crap car even rolls into VOI! You think I'm alone? I'd never alienate you if I saw you in the SRT or talk about you behind your back but the SRT is definitely a laughing stock! THERE'S NOT A SHRED OF ORIGINALITY IN THAT CAR! And Mike that's something the "other" car guys just couldn't say about the Gen I or II's. I listen to what you say you're hearing about the SRT so listen to what Ive been hearing too. There's always 2 sides to every coin. I've heard that the SRT will ALWAYS be just that....an SRT. It'll never be a Viper! I happen to agree. I'll NEVER look at that car as a Viper. NEVER. Just my personal opinion though buddy. I respect yours and your right to express it - I'm just not too happy. I know how you feel about the car and I'm not tryin to put you down or anything, but I'm a Viper owner too, and I feel the total opposite.

Dixter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike, Without a doubt its going to be interesting owning the
first SRT's.... you might as well get ready for it. I do hope
that no one will be callous and give you personal hell over it.
I sure won't.

But you will need to realize that no matter where you take the car
the car will be judged by everyone. Viper fans and non Viper fans.

The key point will be " Do you like the car "

What I'd like to see is the car win over the " convertable crowd "
and be a success, then I hope DC will see the light and give me
my SGTS a couple years from now. And no I do not want a convertable
with a hard top. Got a Miata in the garage now with that hard top
hanging from the ceiling. No thank you.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say 99/100 people would prefer the shape of a GENII over an SRT, Viper owners, non-viper owners, and 10 year old kiddies on the street.

For the record I have seen a few shots of the car as of late that I feel makes the car a little more flattering than in person, this is the first time I'll admit this ever, so it's a start......

Unfortunately, any photo/view involving the back end or 3/4 front view is outta the question, too many styling cues from various other cars including other DC cars well down the food chain, somewhere around zoo-plankton.

This year will be interesting....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude