race gas for stock gts

venom1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey I was wondering if I ran 50/50 premium and race gas if my stock enigne would be ok. and if so am I gonna notice a difference in power. Will it run better with 50/50 or pure race gas. I buy race gas for my fourwheeler and it runs awesome with 50/50. thanks Venom1

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I heard it won't improve power much, because the PCM is not "mapped" to take advatage of it.

Anybody else have any info?

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe you're right, Vic. However, the 06 SRT motors are supposedly being fitted with knock sensors. This will allow timing advance up to the fuel's knock limit.

Socrates

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran it a few times in my old GTS (stock) a full tankful at a time. I would save your money, as I didn't notice much of a difference. :crazy:

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran it a few times in my old GTS (stock) a full tankful at a time. I would save your money, as I didn't notice much of a difference. :crazy:

notice ANY diffrence at all?

01sapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you use leaded fuel it will ruin your O2 sensors, ( and cats ) but unleaded CAM2 etc will be fine. I don't think you will notice much by the seat of your pants, but if you run it straight, the exhaust will smell a lot better...

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would think that if the car is made for 91-94 and you throw in race gas, if anything you will see a reduction in performance.

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn't running higher octane than required actually HURT performance? The car is designed to run 92/93 Octane. If you run like 110, for example, doesn't that cause some of the fuel to not be burnt completely during ignition? Doesn't it essentially reduce efficiency by sending unburnt fuel right out of the exhaust?

Now, obviously if the car was tuned for a better octane setup (more timing), you would get a benefit, but isn't running super high octane gas on a stock engine actually a waste/detriment???

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
yea, what they said. Works great on the old cars to "turn up" the timing for a trip to the track. Of course, it would be helpful to the "boost" guys to avoid detonation.

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hemibeep: I...love...your avatar. However, he was talking about a stock GTS, not boosted or whatever.

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a 993TT and with race gas I saw a huge improvement.

The Viper did not change.

Because of our location the best gas we get is 91.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Makara's right on, I was wondering if anyone out there knew about this. Higher than nessasary octane can often reduce performance in such a low compression engine. Most cars that are designed for regular, will see a decrease in performance when going up to premium. The engine's computer will only allow the timing curve to advance up to the most you should need for 91 octane, since some areas don't sell 93. I would imagine the car to run no better with 93 in it, but for what it's worth, I'm running 93 Timing is one very important factor, but engine compression is as important in what octane your car benifits mostly from.

Skip White

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The measure of octane is how resistant the fuel vapor and air mixture is to self-igniting due to heat (either from compression or a glowing piece of metal or deposit.) Once lit by a match or spark plug, it should fully burn at about the same rate as a lower octane fuel. Unless the fuel is a truly exotic mixture, engine power produced is going to be the same.

However! Different octane fuels may have different characteristics as to how they evaporate. Often higher octane fuel does not evaporate as well, so the fuel-air mixture is correct, but the percentage of fuel turned to vapor is too low. Liquid droplets don't like to burn. This can cause driveability problems, and often car dealers (Ford in particular) will recommend not to use high octane.

At full throttle I would think this is not a problem. The ECU is a little rich, the cylinder heat is high, there will be enough vapor present to light off.