Race oil pan

Vipertop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,

I want to go on track with my SRT convertible 2006, in France (F1 Magny-Cours, Le Mans...) :drive:

Brakes, suspension (KW) and tires (Cups) are ok.

But there is a last question : race oil pan or not ?

I saw on the Viper Specialty Performance website, the race Swing-Arm "2008" Oil Pan.

Everybody on this forum use this oil pan for track, or Comp coupe oil pan ?

Is it too dangerous to go on track with the stock oil pan Gen 3 ?

Thanks for your help and sorry for my bad english ;)

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a 2008 swinging oil pickup added to my 06. Works great. I think the stock oil pan could be ok depending on the tracks you are going to. Tracks with high banked curves or long sweeping high speed turns could cause the oil to move away from the stock pickup in an 06. Oil starvation could ruin your motor quickly when you are pushing it. 08 Oil pan would be the way to go IMO.

JAY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also went with a 2008 swinging oil pick up and pan. Arrow Racing is a great source for pan ,pickup and additional info. Ask for Todd :) :2tu:

Scott Mannny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I replaced my oil pan last spring on my 03 vert and got it from Jon B (Parts Rack) same fast service as always. Is it dangerous to run without one? Why would you want to chance it, when your tracking your car? The last thing you want to do is starve your motor of oil. It's an easy swap, just take your time. My son and I change his (06 coupe)and mine in just of a couple of hours, just take your time and you never have to worry about it again.

OP
OP
V

Vipertop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for your help guys :)

I hope Jon B will have a good price for me...

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wouldn't recomend tracking hard without one. Not worth the risk. If your new to the track and don't have any long banking turns where your going then you will probably be ok and not at much risk of oil starvation. Saying that all that, if you can afford the upgrade DO IT! At minimum run 11 quarts of oil :2tu:

OP
OP
V

Vipertop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 08+ pan design is by far better than the Comp Coupe design.

Ok for take a race pan.

But why the race Swing-Arm "2008" Oil Pan is better than Gen 3 Comp Coupe Race pan ?

Because Gen 3 Comp Coupe is less expensive...

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok for take a race pan.

But why the race Swing-Arm "2008" Oil Pan is better than Gen 3 Comp Coupe Race pan ?

Anything is better then the stock oil pan!! The 2008 system has better baffels and pick up placement then the comp coupe set up. That being said you can't beat the price of the comp coupe oil pan right now. Keep in mind they still have had failures with the Gen 4 vehicles. Depends how and where you drive the car. I ordered the comp coupe pan for mine.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Ok for take a race pan.

The Comp Coupe Pan's swing-arm sits too far forward in the pan, and can starve the engine under acceleration. The Comp Coupe Pan is based on the 2003-2006 Oil Pan, which was never intended to have a swing-arm in it. As a result, it will NEVER be as good as the 2008+ designs, which were made from concept to production as a pan designed for a swing arm, and to maximize filling of the swing-arm chamber. The Comp Coupe pan was little more than a stop-gap measure on a bad pan configuration.

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Comp Coupe Pan's swing-arm sits too far forward in the pan, and can starve the engine under acceleration. The Comp Coupe Pan is based on the 2003-2006 Oil Pan, which was never intended to have a swing-arm in it. As a result, it will NEVER be as good as the 2008+ designs, which were made from concept to production as a pan designed for a swing arm, and to maximize filling of the swing-arm chamber. The Comp Coupe pan was little more than a stop-gap measure on a bad pan configuration.

What is the difference in distance front to back in placement of the pick up? (Between the 2008 set up and the comp coupe set up) Do you have a measurement? Without a question the 2008 set up has better baffels.

SFViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the difference in distance front to back in placement of the pick up? (Between the 2008 set up and the comp coupe set up) Do you have a measurement? Without a question the 2008 set up has better baffels.

I have both, the Comp Coupe and the 08 oil pan from VS and I have to say the VS pan is far superior than the CC pan. The swing arm on the CC only swings one direction while the VS arm swings in both directions. It sure helps when making a lot of G's in either direction. Thanks for a great design Dan!

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Even with the swing oil pan, keep the oil level just above full for best protection. For those of you who want to got the extra mile, the Motul 15w50 race oil has additives that will save the bearings if you temporarily loose pressure.

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this is not the right forum, however can the 2008 swing oil pan be used on a 1997 GTS ?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

I don't have any CC pans laying around... haven't in a couple years now. I do have the other pan design handy however. If someone cares to snap a photo of the CC Pan w/pickup laying inside and write some quick dimensions in it, I can do the same.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even with the swing oil pan, keep the oil level just above full for best protection. For those of you who want to got the extra mile, the Motul 15w50 race oil has additives that will save the bearings if you temporarily loose pressure.

Is there a step between Mobil 1 and Motul as far as a good all around oil?

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The only issues I have seen with a Competition coupe oil pan are in very high hp cars with turbochargers running at the dragstrip and the drift cars. At the dragstrip the oil moves back in the pan and the pickup can gulp air. On the drift cars the side loads throw the oil everywhere. In these applications we simply overfill the engine with oil.

I never had an oil starvation failure with the Comp Coupe pan on any of the road race cars that we ran, but keeping the oil level up is critical.

The best solution is a dry sump, but it not practical for most.