Radar detectors

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm stuck between the Bel 985 (Retail $340,found new on ebay for $199) or the V-1 which is $350+. Any of you guys with these detectors receive any tickets?

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have both those models. The V1 is perhaps very slightly better for KA, but the Bel picks up pop mode better. Get the Bel and save 200 bucks.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
why spend so much to detect radar and lazer when for like 100 bucks more you can jam it and its 100% legal?

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Our test was the Annual Detector Test not the Annual Jammer Test. We test products that work! However, since we get hundreds of e-mails on the subject, things need to be said. Jamming, or attempting to jam a police radar gun is considered a Federal felony punishable with fines up to $75,000 and up to one year in jail, Code of Federal Regulations, CFR 95:422a. According to the Federal Communications Commission, Technical Rules Branch, "both active and passive jammers are illegal and punishable with fines and, in some cases, jail time. Manufacturers as well as jammer owners are culpable. You can not interfere with radio signals." I don't want your arguments here. Many products claim dramatic weight loss without exercise or diet. Coronado looked for the "Seven Cities of Gold." We still haven't found the "Fountain of Youth." Let's leave the Easter Bunny alone. See www.fcc.gov and enter key word "jammers." Ask them if jammers are legal. You can say anything on a package or on the phone. Due to lack of Federal enforcement of radar jammer regulations, an increasing number of states have enacted their own bans on radar jammers, i.e. California, Utah, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Virginia, North Carolina, Minnesota, Indiana, Washington D.C. We have been testing radar jammers for over ten years. In the words of P.T. Barnum of Barnum and Bailey Circus... "there is a sucker born every day." If you buy a "passive jammer" you are that sucker! Good luck with your speeding tickets and the guarantee that guarantees to pay them. We have found only one, that's right ONE, active radar jammer to work. It only works on X and K bands. Laser jamming is another issue. Laser is controlled by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for eye safety. There are no Federal laws restricting the use of laser jammers. However, Minnesota, California, and Utah have enacted laws specifically banning sale, use, and ownership of a laser jammer. Enough on this subject! We did test two laser jammers. Roy Reyer from radarbusters.com came to the test with his shinny new Harley, Peace Officer Special, Ultra Classic FLHTCUI. Roy is a retired police officer with twenty-five years service. His new Harley was stealthed out and we called it Stealth Hog!. Roy's Harley is equipped with an ****** 8500 attached to a chrome handle bar mount. Unique to this set up is the Legal Speeding H.A.R.D. (helmet assisted radar detection) system. A small microphone by the 8500 transmits radar warnings by wireless microwave to Roy's helmet and illuminates a led light letting him know when radar is near. The 8500 does offer an external audio output for motorcycle use. Roy also added a Blinder laser jammer to his arsenal with the front and rear transponders mounted in a concealed manner. Roy won't get lost as he put a GPS system on his handlebar. Roy ask us to test the Blinder and we did along with ******'s Laser Shifter. The Shifter may stand alone or be integrated with the ****** SR7 remote or 8500. Our test was attended by a writer for many major automotive magazines. He was very interested in the jammer issue, so we tested to see how stealthy Roy's Stealth Hog performed. With officers operating the laser gun's Stealth Hog approached the 1,000 ft. cone and then the 500 ft. cone. The LTI laser gun was fired and Roy was Stealth Roy. The Blinder jammed the laser gun at both distances uncovering at about 200 feet which is normal. We then cranked up the ****** test vehicle and ran it at the laser gun...same result. At the writer's request, we then tested four Rocky Mountain Radar, radar/laser jammers. The officers operated the guns, first radar and then laser. We had just seen Roy's Stealth Hog successfully jam the laser gun. The drama was short lived as all radar guns immediately clocked the test vehicle containing the RMR jammers. We then ran all RMR jammers against the laser gun. Same result. We ran the RMR jammers a total of sixteen times toward the police operated radar and laser guns. Not a hint of jamming. Then the writer was shown how to operate the radar and laser guns and he aimed them at the RMR jammers approaching the 1,000 foot cone. He saw for himself. Same result. The only "jamming" that took place with RMR jammers was the word "Jammer" on the box.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i was told that its not a felony if the jammer does not send a signal to the cops radar gun it only masks your own signal so the jammer companys found a way around it andmost do not work very few do. RMR do not work

also they don't call them jammers anymore, I dont even think they call them scramblers any more.

I use blinder and the phantom rcdxp and they both work great (two because one is for lazer and one is for radar)
they are kinda pricey tho

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My understanding is that if you are broadcasting on certain restricted frequencies (such as those used by a radar gun) it is a Federal offense. To "jam" a radar gun you'd have to emit a signal back to it on it's frequency, hence violating the law.

I guess the other option is that your "jammer" is changing/minimizing the radar signature of the vehicle in some manner. It seems like this would be a lot of expensive technology in a cheap commercial jammer box.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
all i do know is the 2 "jammers" (which there not even called any more) work they were tested on 3 diffrent states radar guns so far i will test more if i find cool cops in other states, so far they were tested in CT,upstate NY and Maine and all the cops told me they were legal so i don't know all i know is i like em and they work great and i never get a speeding ticket.

Although i did get a parking ticket the first day i got my viper i was SO worried about someone bumping it when i took it to the store i kinda parked right up on the sidewalk right near door so i got a parking ticket,the cop told me he noticed it because its the ONLY viper around here and hes never seen one except in a mag lol

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Manny,
Do you some feedback on you new Bel RX65? I am doing some research and would appreciate your input.
Thanks.

I bought a Bel RX65 as well and like it so far. The only complaints I have are that it seems to have a fair amount of false laser hits in certain parts of town here and the voice synthesis volume needs to be balanced better with the volume of the warning tones (which are WAY louder than the voice). Otherwise, it's a great unit.