Radiator Advice Needed

viprvenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had a Fluidyne Triple Pass Radiator from Roe since 2005. It recently started leaking. It is small, but not sure if I should trust Stop Leak or just go ahead and replace the radiator. Any experience with Stop Leak? Luck with it or is a temporary fix?

Possible to repair an aluminum radiator? Worth it?

I appreciate any help.

Jason

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well lookie another member for my aluminum radiators **** club. The problem with stuff like stop leak is what it does to the rest of the cooling system while it's plugging your leak.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been pretty happy with my Allen's Performance aluminum radiator... Been in the car for two years now (or is it three?). So far so good I guess... I had a good look at it when I installed it and almost consider it a piece of art... ie: Nice looking welds etc... Very well built, IMO.

My .02... Take it as you will.

ROGUE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don't even need to use a radiator shop, any local shop with a tig welder can very easily take care of it. Check with either a high performance race shop, someone that does stainless work, or a better HVAC (air conditioning) shop, they deal with light gauge AL all the time.

If it cost you more than a case of beer you're getting hosed!

At this point it isn't a "Viper part" it's just a small hole in some 1/8" aluminum that needs to be plugged. :2tu:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All 3 of the aluminum radiators I have tried looked like works of art up until the point they leaked. Pretty does not cut it is the moral of that story. I'd rather have an ugly one that never leaks.

The Alan's performance I believe is made by Howe. I've also heard they have a design that solves the problem that has likely caused every failure I've had. In addition to the fact I also heard they got lucky on that design. But hey, lucky counts if they can repeat it every time!

My next radiator will be a Howe when I get tired of the pool (<<--- get it hahaha) of radiators I've been playing with.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dave6666;2863709The Alan's performance I believe is made by Howe. I've also heard they have a design that solves the problem that has likely caused every failure I've had. In addition to the fact I also heard they got lucky on that design. But hey said:
I wonder what the common design flaw may be and where/how yours have failed Dave?

Allen's was quite popular some years back as I recall. When I busted my original I called him and he had a new one at my house in two days. I didn't bother shopping since I needed the car drivable in a hurry. Hope it holds up for the long haul...

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder what the common design flaw may be and where/how yours have failed Dave?

Allen's was quite popular some years back as I recall. When I busted my original I called him and he had a new one at my house in two days. I didn't bother shopping since I needed the car drivable in a hurry. Hope it holds up for the long haul...

I honestly don't know what the spec or design criteria is that lets the Howe escape the demise that all the others suffer from, but Dan at Viper Specialty is my source on that. With all the problems I've had I've talked to near every vendor and read every thread on the subject. My accumulated info at this point, thanks in no small part to Dan, will lead to my next radiator being a Howe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang