Radiator leak, Drivers side in front of wheel

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like the title says I found anti freeze leaking off the front facia on the drivers side in front of the tire. Puddle was about 8 inches in diameter. I was at work so I checked the coolant level and drove home after work, about 3/4 of the way home the engine started to overheat, above 190 and climbing! I put a little more right pedal into it and the temp came back down, got the car to the house and parked, came out about 30 minutes later and there was a river of coolant under the car about 10 inches wide and three feet long. Popped the hood and could see fresh coolant all along the upper fins of the radiator on the drivers side of the car, right side was dry. Couldn't really see WHERE the leak is coming from, anyone have any good locations to start? I don't have a lift and my current floor jack is too tall to get the car up on stands, thanks for all the help in advance. Jeff

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pull the car up on a piece of 2x4 board to get the clearance to get your jack under it. Look for the source with the motor running and full of water.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a 10-year-old car chances are you need a new radiator. However, if you don't want to do any sleuthing change the hoses first. If it still leaks then you'll need the radiator rebuilt. When you pull the radiator measure the distance from one side and the inlet/outlets and then check it after the rebuild.

The black one is the rebuilt one.
RebuiltOutOfSpec.jpg

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, you definitely have to look at it to see where the leak is coming from. It could be easy (like a hose....although I think Chrysler no longer makes the lower hose) or more difficult....like the radiator or water pump.

When you say that you put your right foot into it and the temp came down....if you meant that you just went faster (i.e. more air over the radiator) that would suggest low fluid levels (which you already knew) but if you were using higher rpms to get the temp down, that could suggest water pump.

Very hard to tell whats going on from the available data.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have gone thru 3 stock radiators. Everyone of them had leaked on the drivers side, engine side. The seal where the end cap connected to the body of the radiator corroded.

OP
OP
M

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I went faster to increase airflow to bring the temp down, hopefully I'll be BA
E to get a good look at the car this weekend, thanks for all of the input so far. Jeff

OP
OP
M

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have gone thru 3 stock radiators. Everyone of them had leaked on the drivers side, engine side. The seal where the end cap connected to the body of the radiator corroded.

Where did you buy the aftermarket radiator at? Would Napa, or autozone have the correct radiator, just looking for OEM. Thanks. Jeff

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have used Roe's 3 pass and the RDR. Both failed miserably quickly, and one RDR leaked new out of the box. I would get the Howe from RSI. It is the old Alan's, revisited, as Alan is long gone. I bought several of the last ones so I can assure you inventory is zero.

I also took the stock end tanks and had a custom 3 row core put in. Took a few days, no fitment issues like Chuck or Ron had.

I've heard the OE is out of production.

OP
OP
M

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got a good look at the radiator and found evidence of long term leaks coming from the drivers side upper fins where they join the side tank/ end cap. Looks like it has been leaking for awhile. What can I expect for a timeframe on removal and installation upon getting a new radiator? I'm an aircraft mechanic/pilot so I have the mechanical skill, haven't had to do much to the snake in the past two years of ownership. Any heads up is appreciated. Thanks. Jeff

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What can I expect for a timeframe on removal and installation upon getting a new radiator? I'm an aircraft mechanic/pilot so I have the mechanical skill, haven't had to do much to the snake in the past two years of ownership. Any heads up is appreciated. Thanks. Jeff

It is pretty easy. I'm slow, so, I couldn't advise you on how long it takes a real mechanic. I take 10 times longer than that. The only hassle that I had was clearance of the radiator passing by the left hood hinge. It just takes the right set of movements to get it out and in. I'd suggest replacing hoses if they are original, just because. I have to say, though, mine looked fine upon removal , with 45000 miles/10 years. Note, that the OEM replacement upper hose did not fit right, at least the ones the dealer had last year, and also as reported by others on the forum. I bought a silicone hose after returning the Mopar hose.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like's been said, as I have done Gen 2 radiators way too many times (by myself, hood on) - you just have to wiggle it to get it in and out.

It will puke all kinds of sand and debris when you free it up, and if you're working alone with the hood on will likely pass it over everything else under the hood. I cover it all with towels to catch the junk and fluid.

This is my Roe 3-pass coming back out for the last time before the scrap yard. Epoxy repair under warranty lasted < 1 month. You can see the leak stain all over it. Whatever Sean.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Note, that the OEM replacement upper hose did not fit right, at least the ones the dealer had last year, and also as reported by others on the forum.

I had the same problem. The little arrow pointing which direction it should go was wrong. I flipped it around and it fit aaaah not perfect but good enough. I kept the original. There has to be a way to build your own custom shaped hoses.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same problem. The little arrow pointing which direction it should go was wrong. I flipped it around and it fit aaaah not perfect but good enough.
I tried it with it flipped around; but I didn't feel comfortable with it that way. I can't remember exactly; but, I think it rested on the edge of the cross member and maybe was up against the air box? Not a sharp edge; but; the anal retentive part of me made me buy the correctly formed silicone hose. I'd guess that Dodge decided that it was "close enough" to fitting right, and didn't discover the error until after they had paid some itinerant Chinese vendor for them.

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same problem. The little arrow pointing which direction it should go was wrong. I flipped it around and it fit aaaah not perfect but good enough. I kept the original. There has to be a way to build your own custom shaped hoses.

I did the same thing as Chuck. I also took my radiator to a local shop and had it rodded and repaired.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I may have one of the last of Allen's radiators in my gen 1. (bought in '00??).

I smelled coolant yesterday; just a hint, like a scent of track air.... CRAP. I guess I need to pump it up and have a look.

OP
OP
M

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I removed the old radiator with the hood on, not too bad but I had to unbolt the driverside hood hinge and prop the hood up with 2x4 to get the clearance to remove the radiator. I ordered an new hiflow radiator from RSI 8/21/12 and as of today, 16 days, I'm still waiting on my radiator, has anyone else experienced this type of a wait for a radiator?.......

Mad Max

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got one from X2 Builders on the way. The tracking # says it will be here Tuesday. This is the second one. The first one had the outlet pointing out instead of in and the studs for the fan were not correct. They say the one on the was is correct. We will see when it gets here.

I've also got the original at a radiator shop getting re-cored. They sent the core out to get an exact duplicate made except the new one will be a 3 row core. It is supposed to be done by this coming Friday.

Going to change the power steering pump pully and bracket while I'm waiting. I sure miss driving my Viper. I think I'm going through withdraw.

At least all should be good to go for VOI.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel your pain, with the car down for the radiator, overtime at work and waiting on a new radiator it has been over a month since I drove my snake, I'm suffering from withdrawals as well! Just sent my OE radiator off today for overhaul and recore......

OP
OP
M

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IT LIVES!!!! Well my car is finally up and running, just came from an hour drive with periodic stops to check for leaks, none noted and no more overheating! YAY....... :)

Mad Max

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got mine together as well. I got both of them the same day. The X2 still has the upper neck not facing inward as much as the original. I did a test fit and it looks like it will work, upper hose looks like it would be just touching the hood hinge/spring. I then installed the original re-cored one. Of course it fit perfectly. I had the radiator shop add an extra row of tubes to the core. It is all working well. I also installed a new p/s pulley and bracket. I had also ordered a new belt along with the pulley kit which I also installed. When I went out for the first drive after allowing enough time for warm up I did a 1-2 shift at 5000 and then started hearing something that wasn't right. When I stopped to check it out the new belt had started coming apart. After limping home I re-installed the original Mopar belt and have not had any issues since. Thinking the new belt was defective. After I had installed it I had heat cycled the motor before going for a drive, if I had installed it imporperly I would have thought it would have already showed up.

OP
OP
M

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to hear you are up and running also, I didn't realize how much I had missed that neck snapping torque until I cleared out the cobwebs a bit on a deserted roadway that I know well, it felt really good to be back in the car. take care. Jeff

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235