Ram SRT question...

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
06 SRT-10 Rams were Inferno, Black, Crystal black, Mineral grey.

Bruce
100% correct.
While not "Viper Red" the Inferno Red is pretty cool. Looks really great in the sun!
Here's a pic of the two 'reds' side by side:

You must be registered for see images attach

Regular Cab = Inferno Red
Quad Cab = Viper Red

Austin- just in case you missed it, the interior of the 06 is VASTLY different than the 04/05 interior.

OP
OP
A

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kevan, nice pic and thanks for posting it. I really dig the Inferno Red. What is different from the interiors between years?

100% correct.
While not "Viper Red" the Inferno Red is pretty cool. Looks really great in the sun!
Here's a pic of the two 'reds' side by side:

You must be registered for see images attach

Regular Cab = Inferno Red
Quad Cab = Viper Red

Austin- just in case you missed it, the interior of the 06 is VASTLY different than the 04/05 interior.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
04 snd 05 trucks are very similar except for brakes, gears and a few badge changes since they were the same truck.

06 was a ccompletely new body style and also had frame changes along with emblem changes and a whole new interior. the drive train is the same as the 05. they did not make many 06's either

Bruce

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what about the interior is different??? I know that the 06 models had the "homelink" system in the overhead console and the new SRT badges, I didnt realize there was a differance in body or interior. Looking at the picture above I notice the front lights are larger.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what about the interior is different??? I know that the 06 models had the "homelink" system in the overhead console and the new SRT badges, I didnt realize there was a differance in body or interior. Looking at the picture above I notice the front lights are larger.

the seats, console and dash are all different from the 04/05.

Bruce

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^ are correct, well....except for Robert. :D
The 04's and 05's also have the Homelink setup. :)

04/05 RC's have the exact same interior. Some stitching options for the special editions (VCA, CE, YF).

06 has a re-designed interior.
- Seats are different (more square; less thigh bolster; logo sewn into headrest).
- Different dash (of course).
- Center storage seat console replaced with....well, just a console. No seating option.
- Heated seats!!!

I like the 06's exterior looks- save for the 'frowning' front fascia- but the interior was the deal breaker for me. The new seats....not my thing.

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know that we looked at the 06s when they came out and didnt like them but I didnt remember why. does anyone have pictures of the inside of an 06? Well damn I had to go out in the garage and have a look at my 05, I do have homelink!! thats how long its been since I have driven it. isnt there something different about the onboard computer in the 06 over head console?

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know that we looked at the 06s when they came out and didnt like them but I didnt remember why. does anyone have pictures of the inside of an 06? Well damn I had to go out in the garage and have a look at my 05, I do have homelink!! thats how long its been since I have driven it. isnt there something different about the onboard computer in the 06 over head console?
Heh heh....told ya! :D
TBH, I don't remember the function differences between the 04/05 OH console and the 06 OH console. IIRC, it was something pretty minor.

I love the SRT truck, but do they not make it in 4WD?
Nope. Sorry.
Then again, we wouldn't be the Burnout Kings if it was AWD:
Dodge Ram SRT10 - Feature - Car and Driver
:D
(Yes- I know they botched the top speed number (should be 156 mph). Cut them some slack. They have *so many* Corvettes that they go thru a month...)

Make it in a 1 ton mega cab, and I am pulling the trigger immediately.
The Ram SRT-10 QC's can tow 5000 lbs. thanks to the 48RE automatic transmission.

Goehner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heh heh....told ya! :D
TBH, I don't remember the function differences between the 04/05 OH console and the 06 OH console. IIRC, it was something pretty minor.

Nope. Sorry.
Then again, we wouldn't be the Burnout Kings if it was AWD:
Dodge Ram SRT10 - Feature - Car and Driver
(Yes- I know they botched the top speed number (should be 156 mph). Cut them some slack. They have *so many* Corvettes that they go thru a month...)

The Ram SRT-10 QC's can tow 5000 lbs. thanks to the 48RE automatic transmission.

I hear ya, but I need to tow 15,000 lb fifth wheel and have 4 wheel drive in hunting situations.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear ya, but I need to tow 15,000 lb fifth wheel and have 4 wheel drive in hunting situations.
There was one guy who put a 12" lift on his QC.
He was mocked into oblivion. :)

For towing that big ol' fifth wheel of yours, I have two words for ya: CUMMINS DIESEL :D

MAVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 04/05 interior is a lot nicer IMO, I have no idea why they changed those seats the 04/05 ones are so nice and incredibly comfortable! The 06 ones are kind of hard by comparison.
They also changed the gearing at some point.... Was that 04 to 05 or was it 05 - 06? I think our 06 had 4.10 and was a bit quicker out of the hole than our 04.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 04/05 interior is a lot nicer IMO, I have no idea why they changed those seats the 04/05 ones are so nice and incredibly comfortable! The 06 ones are kind of hard by comparison and the wood on the 06 dash is not my thing either.

They also changed the gearing at some point.... Was that 04 to 05 or was it 05 - 06? I know our 06 had 4.10 and was a bit quicker out of the hole than our 04.

Wood trim in a Viper truck? Yuck.:crazy2:

Goehner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was one guy who put a 12" lift on his QC.
He was mocked into oblivion. :)

For towing that big ol' fifth wheel of yours, I have two words for ya: CUMMINS DIESEL :D

Exactly, that is what I have. But like I said, I would love to have a v10 600 HP beast in a 3500 4X4 Megacab, cummins would get traded, the work commute would be so much more fun.

Last edited:

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heh heh....SRT-10 dually. Sounds cool! :)

I don't remember any wood trim in the 06's.

04 rear end: 4.11
05/06 rear end: 4:56

MAVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"I don't remember any wood trim in the 06's"

Sorry my mistake I just looked back at pictures and it was our 2500 cummings 2006 that had the wood trim. No wood in the SRT thank goodness.

Thanks for clearing up the rear end

"04 rear end: 4.11
05/06 rear end: 4:56"

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Major key is that all the 06s came with the hard tonneau cover. It was available late in 2005 , but not many were done. This is a huge factory addition, and will, in all likelyhood, be another reason the 2006 will , in my opinion, have the best resale in the future.

Gear change was in 2005 and the console of the 2006s got rid of the UPS truck look to the shift lever. Some still preferred the prior set-up in the 2004-2005s, but aesthetically it give the truck a much cleaner look and not quite so utilitarian.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Major key is that all the 06s came with the hard tonneau cover. It was available late in 2005 , but not many were done. This is a huge factory addition, and will, in all likelyhood, be another reason the 2006 will , in my opinion, have the best resale in the future.
The 04/05 trucks were given a $2500 credit towards a Mopar tonneau from Chrysler.
Very few original owners knew about it, and even fewer took advantage of the offer.
The other detractor was that the Mopar tonneau wrapped over the edges of the bed and tailgate, constantly scratching the paint, leaving a witness mark, kinda like "ring around the bed"....but on the outside for all to see. :)

While the factory tonneau is nice, the aftermarket ones are plentiful, cheaper, and offer a much wider variety.

The problem with the 06's is that the wing would not mount onto the truck sans cover. If you want a wing, you gotta have the cover on there.
The "Gen. 2" wing was also re-designed (shape- and profile-wise) to work with the cover. The "Gen. 1" wing was designed to work with the air rolling around the open bed and thus could be mounted without a tonneau. The hard part about the Gen.1 wings was finding a tonneau that was wide enough at the back to mount it. My Laserlyte tonneau is one of the few that allowed mounting of a Gen.1 wing.
Gen.2 wings mount on almost all aftermarket tonneau covers.
Both wings were designed and built by Roush.

Gear change was in 2005 and the console of the 2006s got rid of the UPS truck look to the shift lever. Some still preferred the prior set-up in the 2004-2005s, but aesthetically it give the truck a much cleaner look and not quite so utilitarian.
While I like the center console on the 06's, the rest of the interior isn't really appealing to me.
It's certainly not terrible; just not for me.

The shifter is kind of long, but NOTHING compared to my dad's old yellow '74 F-150. That thing must have had a 40" shift lever, bent like Manson's mind.

Ditto! That is way out of SRT Ram territory!
Well, the torque is certainly there, but the suspension is not designed for towing or hauling.
It's really meant for a track.

The Ram SRT-10's have a completely different front suspension than that found on the regular Ram 4x2's.

When you are referring to gear changes guys, what are you speaking of: Diff or tranny?
04 rear end: 4.11
05/06 rear end: 4:56

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so a SRT ram wouldnt be very good for towing a 6000lbs trailer?
One of the QC's could do it due to their 48RE automatic transmission, but the rear suspension will hate you and fight you every inch of the way.
Unless you're a professional tow master, I wouldn't recommend doing it with one of the RC (6-speed) trucks.

That much weight? Get a Cummins diesel.